PDA

View Full Version : sore shoulder , better back pack , or toughen up

new hunter
02-25-2013, 10:10 PM
just got back from a walk to break in my new boots .
I took my column pack , I believe its a 60 litr mckinley with adjustable strap system.
I loaded most of what I would need for an over night trip , which was about 35 to 40 pounds ( I weigh just under 145 , I weighed in at 180 with bag ).
Legs are fine , Im not out of breath , but my neck and shoulders are stiff as he11 .Particularily on my right side .
I weight train regularily , one muscle group per day , an hour a day ( shoulders get there own one hour workout ).
I know my bag isnt the greatest ( $100 bucks retail 7 years ago ) , but does this sound like a poorly adjusted strap system , or a lack of muscle development ?
Believe me , I know there are better bags out there but I would prefer not to try to solve this problem by throwing money at it if its avoidable .
If anyone knows how a bag should sit properly ( I've been carrying this bag for years , but I never asked anyone how to set it up , just played around until it felt better ) , or can suggest some exercises to build the muscles needed it would be appreciated.
I'm gonna keep plugging away with what Ive got now , but I'd appreciate any pointers .

Trophyslayer
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
How tight is the belt? You want that weight on your hips not your shoulders

madrona sh
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
If your shoulder straps are carrying the weight and your pack is leaning back you will sure get those symptoms.
You want most of the weight on your hips and your pack up against your back with your shoulder straps equalized.

I hope that made sense to you?
oh and don't load it up so much to get started add some weight as you get used to it.

Cheers

BiG Boar
02-25-2013, 10:45 PM
80% hips, 20% shoulders.

Obviously you didn't know this before you went out. If you did, you would be far better off. You'll figure it out.

ytlogger
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
The hip/shoulder ratios notwithstanding, believe it or not the feet are connected to the shoulders. When your boots are broken in things may improve. IMHO there is no better exercise for packing... than packing.

new hunter
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
I keep my kidney belt above my hips and as snug as I can without restricing breathing .
I do the same with my chest belt .
I noticed that if I loosened my chest strap so that the chest straps were spread wider it felt a bit better .
I'll play around with the straps a bit and see if I cant put put the weight more on my hips .

Andrewh
02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
hard to describe how to fit a bag, easier to show you...

youtube must have something.

Fella
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Could also be an indicator of a muscular imbalance or something out of alignment in Your back or neck.

warnniklz
02-26-2013, 12:28 AM
I got a Asolo Navigator 70 for grad(2005) from my G-parents. Never thought of using it as a hunting pack until I got my goat draw. I thought it may not handle the load or be comfortable or whatever. But I did some scouting in july and loaded her to the nuts.

When I first lifted my bad with one arm (60 pounds) I thought "balls how am I going to pack this around all day" I adjust the hip belt and shoulder straps and noticed it wasn't bad to pack at all. I noticed more when I took it off at the end of the day. Had the wobbly sea legs.

RiverOtter
02-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Not sure how much adjustment you have on your pack, but your shoulder straps should wrap around your shoulders and your waist belt should be over your hips, before you cinch anything up. If a pack don't fit, nothing is gonna make it comfortable under load.

digger dogger
02-26-2013, 07:43 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/34sfnv5.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2ljicef.jpg
You better toughen up Mutha facka, the pics have 100+ lbs in it..
7.3 miles straight line to where we needed to be, after walking around lakes, rockslide debris and marshy areas, it was probably 10ish miles...
So ya, toughen up!!!! lol :-) may aswell get a new pack too. :-)
DD
I'm just teasing you, keep training and the aches will get better!

decker9
02-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Not 100% positive. But I think kifaru has a video on how to set up they'r packs, I imagin it would be kinda the same for any pack, might be worth it to have a look at they'r web sight, I would check for you, but having a baby this morning, only time for checking out hbc first!! Cheers!

Stone C. Killer
02-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Sounds to me like you the pack might not be long enough? Like mentioned the hip strap should be tightened over/across your hips not sitting on top. If it's sitting on top I don't think you'll be able to tighten it enough to take the weight off your shoulders without causing some pain/damage especially with heavy loads.

new hunter
02-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Went over the pack last night , I had the shoulder straps set too low .
I'm used to thinking I'm smaller than average ( old thinking from high school ) , I moved the ancher point higher up so it was more appropriate for my torso and tightened up a couple straps .
Basically , even though it seemed like all the weight was on my hips ( I did know the weight is supposed to be on youre hips , I've just always been the type to think I was the problem , not the gear ) , since the straps were anchered low they still dug into my shoulders.
I'll try moving the belt lower too , I always thought the bag was supposed to rest on your hips , kind of like a second set of shoulders but it makes sense to try wearing it lower.

new hunter
02-26-2013, 10:40 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/34sfnv5.jpghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2ljicef.jpg
You better toughen up Mutha facka, the pics have 100+ lbs in it..
7.3 miles straight line to where we needed to be, after walking around lakes, rockslide debris and marshy areas, it was probably 10ish miles...
So ya, toughen up!!!! lol :-) may aswell get a new pack too. :-)
DD
I'm just teasing you, keep training and the aches will get better!

DDog , from the bottom pick it looks like youre hip strap has been sitting above youre hips , ami I correct or do I need to set my belt lower like someone else said .

brian
02-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Try it again with new adjustments. But if it still doesn't fit you like a glove then go to a store and check out some of the other packs. Get help with the fitting. You will probably find something that feels like, "Yeah f*kn A!!!". That'll be the pack for you. That pack will be the difference between hours of suffering and being able to go on much further and happier. It is amazing the difference a pack that fits you well will make.

Also remember 40 lbs in becomes 120 lbs or more pounds out (deboned) if you are successful.

new hunter
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
went over a bunch of youtube videos on proper sizing .
I'm starting to think my bag is too short for me .
If I rest my belt high on my hips it seems to be just big enough , but my load straps point down instead of up at 45degrees .
I didnt know anything about torso sizing or anything else , when I look back , I was very wrong about how I picked my back pack , I'm just glad I didnt try and meddle when the sales rep helped my wife pick out her bag ( although they never measured her either ).
I was 21 when I bought my bag , its funny how being a know it all kid can bite you in the ass years later .
I cant afford a new bag right now , so I'll have to make do with what I have for now and try to adjust it as best I can , but when I do buy it I'm going to have to make sure Its chosen right.
I think I will go with an external frame this time , from the videos I saw it looks like they can be more addjustable ( can lower the hip belt as well as raise shoulder straps ).

new hunter
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Loaded my bag right up last night so that it was at max capacity , and moved my load straps from the two original load buckles on the frame to the two buckles that hold my top pocket and rain cover { abot 4 or 5 inches higher } , I also cut some stitching that regulates my chest strap from going high .
It isnt perfect , and I will be buying a proper fitting cargo pack when I can afford it , but it feels alot more comfortable already.
I'll take another walk with it today and see if its a real improvement .
Does anyone have any experience with the alaska outfitter external frame bags from cabellas ?
I'm thinking I should buy the biggest bag I can manage , if its half empty most of the time it shouldnt be a big problem , then I have extra space If I'm succesful.
With the bag I have now I'll barely have enough room for a three day trip , any meat will have to be hung off my bag .

325 wsm
02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=new hunter;1294755]e alaska outfitter external frame bags from cabellas ?

every time i see a hunter show up with one of those I think.....poor bastaard
buy one like in the above pics if you want a hard frame.

digger dogger
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
NH, I set my hip belt on top of my hips then let it slide down a bit..
The marks on my hips are from having my belt as tight as I could get it around my waste..
100+ lbs blows any way you pack it!!
The bruising was after the second trip for cape antlers and the rest of the meat. (what a nasty walk) lol
I'd do it again tho! :-)

Piperdown
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
145lbs cant remember back that far :)

kickemall
02-27-2013, 08:18 PM
You might want to re-think getting an external frame pack. With the exception of a Barney's pack, most hardcore backpack hunters use internals because of their comfort. Go to Kifaru, Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier web sites and you'll see true hunting packs. They are all fairly high priced. You can find Arc'teryx Bora 80 packs used for well below $200.00 and they are well respected as backpacking packs that can be used as a hunting pack. Gregory whitney would be another one to look at and both web sites have valuable information about fitting a pack. Good luck.

Dave

Big7
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Suck it up princess....it's outside of your normal routine....you'll get used to it!!!! Play with your straps, keep hiking and you'll figure out what works! The more weight you add and the longer you hike....the more the "fine adjustments" make all the difference! have fun!

2tins
02-27-2013, 08:49 PM
The yolk on your pack is too small. I had the same problem with a pack once. I happened to run in to the rep for the company and he told me straight out that the pack I bought should not have been sold to me because my shoulders were too big for the yolk. I won't trash the company or the store but do a little research into pack sizing before you buy, because some sales people just might not not know the difference. Good luck, 2tins.

new hunter
02-28-2013, 12:31 AM
The yolk on your pack is too small. I had the same problem with a pack once. I happened to run in to the rep for the company and he told me straight out that the pack I bought should not have been sold to me because my shoulders were too big for the yolk. I won't trash the company or the store but do a little research into pack sizing before you buy, because some sales people just might not not know the difference. Good luck, 2tins.

I'm pretty sure youre right about that as well , Its starting to seem that this pack in general is just too small , I didnt measure my torso , so the pack sits pretty low on my back as well the straps are a bit to close together .
My shoulders dont hurt anymore , just my lower back , thighs and calves but thats exactly what should be sore .
yesterdays hike busted my belt buckle on the way down (replaced an hour later ) , so my weight is pretty well all on my hips with the shoulder and load straps mostly balncing and not carrying the load .
Only problem is that with my bag fully packed its pretty much stretched into a cylinder regardless of the frame and the belt keeps trying to slip down my ass .
I'll keep playing with it until I have it figured out , but one things for sure , I need a bigger bag .

ytlogger
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
NH, I set my hip belt on top of my hips then let it slide down a bit..
The marks on my hips are from having my belt as tight as I could get it around my waste..
100+ lbs blows any way you pack it!!
The bruising was after the second trip for cape antlers and the rest of the meat. (what a nasty walk) lol
I'd do it again tho! :-)

I believe you are supposed to wear the hipbelt so the buckle is over your navel with the WW pack.

new hunter
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
I believe you are supposed to wear the hipbelt so the buckle is over your navel with the WW pack.

what does WW pack stand for ?

RiverOtter
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
what does WW pack stand for ?

Wilderness Wanderer...

BCLongshot
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Suck it up princess....it's outside of your normal routine....you'll get used to it!!!! Play with your straps, keep hiking and you'll figure out what works! The more weight you add and the longer you hike....the more the "fine adjustments" make all the difference! have fun!

Yap

Totally agree

Tuffcity
02-28-2013, 10:38 PM
When it's time for a new pack (sounds like now) go find a store that knows what they're doing. You'll need to try on a bunch of different styles of packs, because this medium is different from that medium and not even close to that brand in a medium.

Say what you will about MEC, but when my wife was looking for a pack she went into the local store and the guy spent a couple of hours with her fitting a pack (with weight). Even when she told him she was looking for a pack to go goat hunting he still spent a ton of time getting her sorted out. Ended up not getting one from MEC but the knowledge she came away with was very valuable.

If money challenged, find a pack that fits then haunt ebay, usedvancouver/victoria, craigslist and find a good used one in that style. Don't assume you want an external because the internal you have doesn't fit.

Try wearing the pack so the middle of the hip belt is on the top of your hips.

RC

new hunter
03-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I found a couple of bags second hand near me , ones an arcteryx bora 80 , the others a north face snow leopard 100litre.
Both are $50 , so I figure I'd be stupid not to look at them.
If they fit I'm thinking of getting the 100litre , just for the extra space , although someone suggested the bora 80 earlier .
Quick question , is it OK to spray paint a back pack ?
I know our guys spray painted there fatigues when they went into afghanistan , so I assume it would be OK , but figure I'd better check before I destroy a back pack .

RiverOtter
03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Pack covers are cheap, if you don't like the color...

Night Hawk 3
03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Don't go overboard on capacity, really focus on proper sizing first and foremost. A too large pack is not a lot of fun when lightly loaded because the distribution of weight along with how it all cinches down can end up being all wrong.

I can do a week long backpack trip with 60 litres, no problem by packing carefully and leaving out anything that is not 100% useful.

Get the best gear you can, pay attention to weight - every gram counts. Used gear that's not worn out is usually a good way to start.

For packing out meat, an internal frame pack can work very well, an 80L is a good place to be and many are expandable at the top with drawstrings and bellows, and you can add external side pockets that attach to the cinch straps to store things like water bottles or fuel outside of you main bag.

Make sure the pack fits firstly. Then learn to adjust it and load it properly next. Then do lots of practice hiking with progressively larger loads over a period of weeks or months.

~nh3

RiverOtter
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I can do a week long backpack trip with 60 litres, no problem by packing carefully and leaving out anything that is not 100% useful.

I'd be curious to see your gear list, including food and shelter, if you got some time to post it up.

Also, is that for a solo week, or sharing shelter/cooking gear with a partner(s)?

new hunter
03-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Picked up the 80 litre bora , as well as the 100 litre north face.
I didnt realise under packing a big bag would be uncomfortable , but I think that this one would be all that bad , it mostly expands straight up and looks to collapse in on itself pretty well.
I quite like the 80 litre Bora , it has an external pocket that is perfect for my tent and I find the belt pockets to be conveniently placed .
The north face is a lot simpler and is pretty much just a really big bag with straps and a lid , but I think it will make a good back up , and would also be good for carrying really big loads .
Either way , both bags feel way better than my old one which I'm sure was just way too small .
And for $100 bucks I got a couple of decent bags , even if they are a little old , dingy and faded .

Tuffcity
03-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I didnt realise under packing a big bag would be uncomfortable

It really depends on the pack. I use a 115+ litre TT pack that collapses down a lot and I use it as my "day pack" when back pack hunting- you can fit a whole mule deer in there if you have to. My wife's 80 l Icon folds down quite well when empty.

At least you should get more adjustment capability out of these "new" packs over the old one.

RC

Fred1
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Here is what I have found about carrying weight. I used a trapper nelson for a while - best known torture device known to man. I used a couple other packs over the years and found that getting any pack set up with the weight about 20% shoulders and 80% waist (as mentioned earlier) makes all the difference. Get the weight on your hips and close to your body - dont let the pack lean backward or you will be hooped... I have been using a Mystery Ranch pack/load bearing sling for the last few years and love it!! Its like wearing a pillow! I have only used it for packing critters - dont have the pack attachment yet but if it feels this good loaded with moose and deer, my gear should be a breeze.
SQUATS... do 'em! you dont need to do them with weight. Just a few hundred a day up and downs in front of the tv and you will be amazed how many you can do and how much stronger you will feel under load. A few sit ups or crunches will really help too - strong core and quads will make your paking far more enjoyable - I know this sounds crazy, but I love the pack!!!

Best quote I've seen here, prolly best advice too "Don't be the fattest guy on your sheep hunt" LMAO! Wisdom....

new hunter
03-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks , Ive taken the last three days off from the gym , but I'll be back in tomorrow after work.
Ive got a pretty steep trail system less than 2 blocks up the street from me that , I made three hikes up there last weekend and I intend to do the same this weekend if its not pissing that is ( to much snow pack to go up with all the heavy rain we've been getting ) , other wise I'll be doing all my leg work at the gym .
I'd prefer to hike though , spend more time on the trail working out all the kinks .