PDA

View Full Version : Hubba Hubba owners, have a question

Andrewh
02-25-2013, 09:46 PM
I am looking at another lightweight tent for my next sheep hunt and I am basically stuck on either the Hubba Hubba or the Hubba Hubba HP.

For the Hubba Hubba owners, have you ever wanted/desired the HP that does not contain a bunch of mesh? I assume you will stay dry in it with just the mesh but what about the high wind/sideways rain type of storms. Does the fly come down enough?

I know the HP is not available to the N.A market but I have tracked them down overseas.

thanks,
Andrew

BiG Boar
02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Get a garbage bag to sleep in and harden the F(*& up.

Just kidding. As a HH owner, I have never desired more, or less in my tent, unless it included a Brazilian woman, and the latter.

Any tent is fine really though. I could sleep in a sil tarp and a moustache.

300mag
02-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I used a Hubba Hubba last year on my sheep hunt. Bunkered in the thing for 4 days of rain and wind(worst I have ever seen). I noticed that the condensation sometimes did drip through the mesh (4 days in the tent it was bound to happen), but for the fly protection against the elements it functioned exceptionally well, one note would be to ensure the tent is pegged/lashed down well and snug. But I have been in similar situations with other tents and faired way worse. Its coming back with me next year. I think that says it all.

Trekker
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
The hubba hubba is an excellent early season mountain tent. I would get a 4 season tent if you plan to use it past september in the mountains . trekker.

kootenayelkslayer
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
If you have the chance, get the HP model! You'll appreciate the non-mesh when the weather gets cold and windy. I use the HP model on all my sheep hunts, it's great.

Mountain Hunter
03-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I have the smaller Hubba tent and wished I waited and had one with the non-mesh higher backsplash version. It's those side-blowin windy rainy/snowing nights that suck! I end up tucking it under or against some form of a windbreak. It's OK but I wished it had more non-mesh.

Andrewh
03-01-2013, 11:31 PM
ok thanks guys, it looks like I'll bring one in from over seas. You can find them on sale for around $425 cdn after shipping.

MBOGO
03-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Looks like Tiaga in vancouver sells the HP ? taiga works.ca

Chironomid_16
03-02-2013, 08:28 AM
HP is a must.

kebes
03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
By HP do you mean hoop? I got the hoop at Atmosphere last year for somewhere around 250 if I remember right and I love it. A little bit more spacey then the hubba hubba and more of a 3+ season.

Andrewh
03-02-2013, 09:26 PM
By HP do you mean hoop?

No, Hubba Hubba HP (standing for high performance). The tent has basically no mesh unlike the majority of the regular Hubba Hubba. Makes the tent a 3+ season tent in my eyes.

I have a line on an HP locally so I am keeping my fingers crossed. (Taiga only has an older Hubba HP, 1 person tent).

Andrew

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-05-2013, 05:19 PM
A good EARLY Season tent . i bought one last spring in alberta and havent used it in the fall but i know its going to Breezy .. If i could do it all over again and had the time , i would have just ordered a HILLIBERG for a few hun more , which is what im probly going to do this year , theres a lot of Hubba Hubbas on the MEC website for sale . i would look there . i bought mine new with a footprint . could have saved money if i had time to look around for a good used on . Theres almost no chance of buying a Bad used one thats only been used a handfull of times, unless its been really abused . There a little tougher than that . Footprint is a good move too . I think i wrote a little review on it,on my posts sometime . any other questions . i will be glad to help if i can . .

RiverOtter
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I've heard the Hille's get hit hard at the border with duty.....

If you're heading to the states in the near future, High Mountain Outfitters will ship one right to your hotel. Makes for a good laugh, when you roll into your room with your wife and a package is already sitting on the bed with your name on it.............:mrgreen:

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-05-2013, 11:46 PM
I have no idea what happens at the border if you get it shipped . im sure theres lots of members who could walk up thru the experiance ..

RiverOtter
03-06-2013, 06:25 AM
I have no idea what happens at the border if you get it shipped . im sure theres lots of members who could walk up thru the experiance ..

Not a big event, just a bunch of duty tacked on....

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
like how much ? . lol. whats the grand total ? what did you buy ? . Anyone thinking of parting with a HILLIBERG .. im looking for one .

RiverOtter
03-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I did the Nallo2 GT and made a trip to Spokane for the week end. Grand total to the hotel(shipping was free in the lower 48 ) was $740 IIRC. To my PO in B.C., I'd have been out about $50 for shipping and from what I've heard $100'ish for duty. What I saved more than payed for my Nickelback ticket.......:mrgreen:

Tent is awsome, and the GT vestibule is well worth the extry few ounces......

I'm actually considering one of their single person tents in the near future, but a MR Metcalfe is a little above it on the "LIST"...

budismyhorse
03-06-2013, 06:33 PM
if isn't made in North America.... Tack on 18% duty.

kootenayslam
03-06-2013, 06:41 PM
hubba hubba is great but the hp sounds like it fixes the only downfall

Andrewh
03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
fingers crossed, going to check one out locally tonight!

budismyhorse
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I have one I'd part with........barely used.......immaculate condition. PM me if interested. Photo of it is in my gallery on HBC if you want to see it pegged out.

Andrewh
03-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I got a new one locally, thanks though.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
How many time have used your Nallo 2 Gt . could you give us a review on it ?

RiverOtter
03-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Yep, give me a day and I'll do a write up with pics.....

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-08-2013, 11:31 PM
ya for sure bud . not trying to cut into your friday night drinking time . lol.