PDA

View Full Version : Winter wall tent camping

rides bike to work
02-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Well after lots of talk and negotiating me and 4 of my buds have one night out winter camping planned for next week . Well head up in the morning set camp ice fish call to the coyotes and live what I call a normal life for 48 hours. You see between my group of 5 guys we have 13 kids all under 6. Have young kids at home really forces you into après domesticated life style to break away like this is going to be pure therapy to some of these guys.

So the plan is it build a wall tent type enclosure with tarps and some 2x4s I've got a woo stove and pipe we will erect we are planning on sleeping on the ground

so my question Is how do you prep the floor of a wall tent in the winter

My plan is to shovel out the snow throw down a tarp than I've go a roll of 1" foil back insulation I was going to roll out

will the stove melt the left over snow and leave us sleeping in a puddle

oh ya we are going to a lake south west of Merritt

pnbrock
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
stoke up your stove it will dry pretty quick,the ground that is.

warnniklz
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Moose hunting the cariboo in november... I have experience with this. Plastic down first, plywood, foam, matress, wool blanket, sleeping bag and once again wool blanket(keeps condensation off). You'll be toasty warm. Dad taught me this. He learned it from one of his mentors growing up and hunting elk in the kootneys.

RoscoeP
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Get cots then put 4" foam on them, saves lots of room, boots under cots place to sit etc. easier to get up and go for a l__k etc. I would never sleep on the ground again once the weather gets winterish. Speaking from experience. Cheers Roscoe

604redneck
02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
^what he said

pnbrock
02-24-2013, 08:33 PM
agree i didn't even think about sleeping on ground ,cots are the only way to go!!

Tuffcity
02-24-2013, 08:42 PM
If you're using tarps better have ventilation or you stand to get rained on from the inside- plastic will hold the condensation in. You might end with some water around the stove depending on the ground type. If it stays cold the rest of the snow in the tent might not thaw- you probably will not be able to scrape down to the dirt. You'll be more comfortable on a cot.

RC

warnniklz
02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
And hang up your sleeping bag inside out during the day. Under cover of course.

But everyone knows that already.

BlacktailStalker
02-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Flip your foamy over as well, it gets damp on the cot.

charr
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Put fir branches on the floor.

Blktail
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Must have cots. The ground is cold and very difficult to insulate with bedding. 2" foam on the cot or an air mattress is adequate. Same bedding below as on top will do the trick.
Have fun.

aggiehunter
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
oh and ps...it's not winter camping in a wall tent...

blackbart
02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
The way I see it you have two options on a one night trip.

#1 Just stay home

#2 Get so much anti freeze into your system that where you are sleeping doesn't matter...

I would go for option #2 in this case. Have fun and don't try to overthink a one night camping trip. You could easily end up spending more time building a camp than fishing or dog calling.

hunter1947
02-25-2013, 03:56 AM
Take lots of pictures to post up on HBC we will be waiting to look at them next week ,,good luck with your outing..

The Hermit
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
There all gunna die! LOL Take lots of pics and good luck!

Apolonius
02-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Use cardboard as insulation.And news papers.Think about it...all the homeless use them.They are experts trust me.If your feet get cold rap them with newspaper and you will see what i mean.Instant oven.

vip_ruger
02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Like said earler use bows and lots of them if all five of you go on a mission for a hour collecting them and lay all them down every where but at the stove area .then put your tarp over the works and u will sleep like a beauty and be warm. But u need alot of bows try for six inches thick
Good luck and sounds like a good time

rides bike to work
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the feed back now what's your favorite rum and whiskey just in case we need some antifreeze

warnniklz
02-25-2013, 08:51 PM
a 40 of old english and a tin of snoos

aggiehunter
02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
I like to keep my bows hanging between the wall posts...

ACE
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Get cots then put 4" foam on them, saves lots of room, boots under cots place to sit etc. easier to get up and go for a l__k etc. I would never sleep on the ground again once the weather gets winterish. Speaking from experience. Cheers Roscoe

Cots are the way to go...... I use 4'' 'open cell' foam. Also speaking from experience. Stanfield tops/bottoms, toque, and socks and you'll be the 'fashion maven' of your outdoor boudoir ......

iiijbird
02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0771.JPG

Cots for sure, and a Good wood stove.
check out my pics in the gallery. Kids and i havin fun..
CJ

LYKTOHUNT
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the feed back now what's your favorite rum and whiskey just in case we need some antifreeze
40 Crick and Appeltons

budismyhorse
02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Seems like a ton of work for one night!!! Beg for two....sad really... The begging we have to do;)

Throw some plywood down under the stove and it won't melt the ice underneath.... Good sleeping bags and you won't need to have much of a fire all night anyways...

Treed
02-12-2016, 10:36 PM
My dog and I used to just sleep on a sleep mat with no tent, mind you I was in a bag and he was on top. And it was even longer ago than when this thred started.

orion
02-13-2016, 12:16 PM
We clean the foot print of snow as best we can and then spread a bale of clean straw down under sleeping/walking areas under our tarp floor.