PDA

View Full Version : Creston Late Archery Season

blaker_99
12-20-2006, 03:13 AM
How's it going all? just finishing final exams here in the Okanagan, had an awsome year but for some reason i am starting to get sick and tired of hanging around town without hunting. Has anyone had any experience in and around Goat Crk in the Creston? I have not had a chance to hunt that area, but have been told it is a fairly remote location. If anyone has any information regarding this area it would be greatly appreciated. i am not looking for secret spots, just another area to hunt and a chance to get away from the ol' hen haha cheers all thanks for an awsome yr. and look forward to another.

4blade
12-20-2006, 06:50 AM
not sure about goat creek but check the regulations the late season area is a n area around the town itself small chunk of the m-u.

rocksteady
12-20-2006, 06:58 AM
I tried it about 5 years ago,not as easy as you would think.

Deer movement on Goat Mountain is very weather dependant. If there is not much snow you will find them from the mountain top right down to the valley bottom. If there's a lot of snow (I am unsure what conditions are like right now) all of the deer will have moved down to the valley bottom into the orchards, and surrounding wooded areas.

Here's the glitch though, I would say 99.9 % of all of the valley bottom around Goat is private land. There are very few pieces of crown. Unless you know someone who will give you permission, it could be very difficult.

There is a Forest Service Road that takes off of the North end of the pavement, on the loop road (sorry I forget the name of the road - It goes from Wyndel around the North end of Goat and comes out at Arrow Creek) that does take you across a powerline and up the mountain.

When I went in there, the snow was about 16" deep and all of the deer had moved right to the valley bottom. There were elk all over the place up there but no deer.

If you know someone in Creston, who can make contact and get permission for you, in the flat land /orchards around the base of Goat, you probably have a good chance. If not, it could be a frustrating venture...

That's just what I have found, maybe I just hit it at the wrong time....

Good luck..

DallSheepDan
12-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Great opportunities for archery. If you can't get permission - just get up on the mountain hill side above the orchards. Plenty of benches and deer trails to set up a stand on and the bucks are still using them.

rocksteady
12-20-2006, 04:12 PM
The only difficulty I had there was a lot of the private property is not fenced or signed.

I know what that the legislation says regareding posting/cultivated etc, but I still don't want to piss off some landowner...

mark
12-20-2006, 07:15 PM
didnt know anything was still open, when does it close there???

4blade
12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
mark, either sex whitetail.until dec 31

mark
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks, guess i should check the regs more, id be up for another deer hunt as i still got a tag left! Hmmm....

hunter1947
12-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Yes i hunted there a few times ,you turn off to your right coming from cranbrook and left if your headed to cranbrook from creston ,from creston to the turn off at kitchener it is around 12klm out of that town.. You turn at the little sediment called Kitchener ,you head in on the logging road with the goat river on your left ,when you get in about 15 klm there is a forestry camp sight right by a Y in the road you can stay there ,hunt the mountains on your left side of the main logging road when your in there ,there is a road that heads up kitchener mt head up there took a few nice mule-deer out of that same area back a few years ago ,get a back roads map and look at it ,you will see what i am talking about ,hunter 1947.

dave_fras
12-21-2006, 08:42 AM
hey mark ....i thought u would be the first person that would know that!.....your the only guy i know who hunts more than i do!

blaker_99
12-21-2006, 01:08 PM
hey thanks all for the information. Nice to see there's so many of you out there that help eachotehr out. i really appreciate it. Thinking of heading out there 25dec. for a few days with my brother and dad see what we can do. I'll be sure to keep you allposte and if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. cheers all.

WoodOx
12-21-2006, 01:45 PM
best of luck blake, have a fun holiday!