PDA

View Full Version : Elk or Mulies

fishingguy44
02-21-2013, 01:35 PM
I am thinking of bypassing my planned sept 1 bow hunt for mulies and heading to R4 for their antlerless elk. I have never hunted elk before but its one of the reasons that i got into hunting. Growing up in the foster system I had no real hunting influences. But the idea of going on a DYI elk bow hunt gets me super excited. would a practiced newbie like myself not really knowing the terrain even have a chance at seeing some elk? I plan on putting in for bow elk in 1-4 1-5 also so i may not need to make this choice. if there are any locals up in 4 that would want to maybe come along that would be so amazing.

fuzzybiscuit
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
What would be really amazing is if you bypassed the bow all together and just took your buddy Jeff along and let him punch one to death.

jtred
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
What would be really amazing is if you bypassed the bow all together and just took your buddy Jeff along and let him punch one to death.
Is this an answer? In what way was the question offensive to you? It's responses like this that make me wonder what is wrong with people? To the OP I can't really say how things would go for you without any knowledge of the area. I live and hunt in region 4 but mainly stick to 4-5/4-6/4-7. 4-6 zone c allows antlerless elk to be hunted Sept 1-9 with bow but is not limited to only antlerless. Zone C is basically the whole of the Creston valley and while it does encompass mostly private land it also includes a fair portion of crown land You would also be able to hunt white tail and mule deer, bull elk, and black bear. Chances are good that you would get at least an opportunity on one of these. I have been lucky enough to draw the antlerless elk leh for November in4-6 Zone C twice and both times was able to fill the tag on crown land. All I can say is, if it's something you want to try go for it. I don't believe there is such a thing as a wasted day out hunting, and especially here in the Kootenays where everywhere you look it's postcard beautiful. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

.300WSMImpact!
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I have just in the last couple years started going to the kootneys for elk, it is a lot tougher than you think and by no means a slam dunk, that being said if this is a trip you plan on doing year in and year out you will find the elk and with each passing year you will know the area more and find a great spot! good luck and hike until you cant anymore!

sarg
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
really?? well i think fishingguy44 will be greatful for u great help :???:

fuzzybiscuit
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Geesh! :lol:

I'm surpised a tough guy like Jeff would hang around with a bunch of thin-skinned pansy-a$$e$ the likes of you guys. He must have really softened up since going over to Big Snots.

I'll have to get moosen gram to give him a slap before he starts lookin' at guys in tight jeans.

cameron0518
02-21-2013, 10:26 PM
a lot less elk since all the draws up there and the antlerless season opened up. Not sure thats the best place for a newbie but we all get lucky once in a while.... maybe i will tonight!!

hunter1947
02-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Wasa area would be a good place for cow or bull elk and WT deer to get started you can hunt the rd closure headed from wolf creek over to premier lakes during the sept Oct hunting season but you can not leave the main rd except for walking from these two roads that run through to premier lakes region is 4-21 keep in mind that there is one area that is above the 1100 elevation in zone X from wolf creek to premier lakes..

The Dude
02-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Contact the Bc Cattleman's Association in the Koots, and ask if there are any ranchers with cow issues (Cow elk).
Also register on hunterlandownerlink.com and start the process. It's a new site, so not much content yet.
I'd divulge a coupla honey holes, bud my buddies still go there, so you have to go kick stumps like we did for years ;-)

dingdongdenny
02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Geesh! :lol:

I'm surpised a tough guy like Jeff would hang around with a bunch of thin-skinned pansy-a$$e$ the likes of you guys. He must have really softened up since going over to Big Snots.

I'll have to get moosen gram to give him a slap before he starts lookin' at guys in tight jeans.
well you deffinately are the king because that's all that seems to come out of your mouth.
can anyone say troll?

fuzzybiscuit
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your input Ding-a-ling.

Don't you have some flats to fix?:)

jtred
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your input Ding-a-ling.

Don't you have some flats to fix?:)
Do you have anything to contribute besides idiotic remarks, snide comments, and insults? The smilely faces only really make sense if what you are saying is funny. Do you have a problem with the OP because nothing of what you're on about makes any sense? You can apologize anytime, it's never too late to stop making an a$$ of yourself.

dino
02-23-2013, 10:24 AM
the shitfields outside of Cranbrook.

TyTy
02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
kooteneys are a riot when it comes to hunting. give it a go, try to have some fun, you will learn something and likely your trip will be worth while because u can apply what u have learned in future hunts. good luck!

sorry i dont have info on the units u r looking to hunt, but me and a buddy have gone out there, put in some effort and had great times, even success. again, good luck!

Weatherby Fan
02-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Do you have anything to contribute besides idiotic remarks, snide comments, and insults? The smilely faces only really make sense if what you are saying is funny. Do you have a problem with the OP because nothing of what you're on about makes any sense? You can apologize anytime, it's never too late to stop making an a$$ of yourself.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking
WF

Weatherby Fan
02-23-2013, 09:43 PM
kooteneys are a riot when it comes to hunting. give it a go, try to have some fun, you will learn something and likely your trip will be worth while because u can apply what u have learned in future hunts. good luck!

sorry i dont have info on the units u r looking to hunt, but me and a buddy have gone out there, put in some effort and had great times, even success. again, good luck!

I would have to agree,every time we go up that way we always have success of some sort,learn something new everytime, see lots of animals,beautiful scenery......couldn't ask for anything better.

Go give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
WF

The Dude
02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
the shitshow outside of Cranbrook.

Fixed it for ya ;-)

Man, what a Gong Show that area is in the fall, huh?

fishingguy44
02-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Fixed it for ya ;-)

Man, what a Gong Show that area is in the fall, huh?

Ya im hoping not so much for the bow only season. It will be a success either way. cant complain about getting out at all.

The Dude
02-23-2013, 10:36 PM
If you're set on bow, which is Sept 1-10th if I recall correctly, then follow my advice, and hook up with some farmers and ranchers.
Bows are a lot more readily accepted by landowners because of the limited range, quiet method and non-cattle-spooking elements, so you should have no trouble.
If you get stuck, PM me, I might have some addresses for you to email.

dino
02-25-2013, 06:08 AM
If you're set on bow, which is Sept 1-10th if I recall correctly, then follow my advice, and hook up with some farmers and ranchers.
Bows are a lot more readily accepted by landowners because of the limited range, quiet method and non-cattle-spooking elements, so you should have no trouble.
If you get stuck, PM me, I might have some addresses for you to email.
My experience from the early season bow hunt was that the farmers didn't want the bow hunters on their land because the lost arrows were causing damage to their animals and equipment, We only asked 4 or 5 owners but they all had the same concerns.