PDA

View Full Version : New hunter putting in for LEH seeking advice

fishingguy44
02-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey guys,

this year ill be putting in for my first LEH. I am thinking of doing flat top mulies, archery elk on the island, and moose. moose is where I am looking for some advice. I will be bow hunting and looking for a good place to start. not looking for a trophy just a successful hunt. any input would be amazing.

604redneck
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
pm on the way

Fred1
02-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Here's the thing on Moose LEH... Put in where you have the best odds!! Put in for a draw during the rut!! Find a piece of riparian away from the road (but not too far moose are big :) ) with lots of cover, ie regen/old cut block, aspen, willow, water is key and cow call the hell out of it all day long!! Get to your spot before sun up and watch the sun rise. Call lightly at first. DO NOT give up just because its high noon! Keep calling. Dont be a fraid to hunt the same area all week. And never talk more than the slightest whisper. Dont talk at all if you want to get one with an arrow... As for regions to put in... the Cariboo (5) to PG (7) and up... September ;) I have a special place in the Cariboo near Zipper Mouth Lake and another near Wherezit River out of PG...
Good luck with the bow!

Jelvis
02-20-2013, 09:57 PM
With moose it's where, and when? Where are Mu's close to the lower mainland where a hunter could get a shot at a nice bull moose, close enough for a shot with an arrow, and when, is during the rut with moose calling.
Late pre-rut and right thru the rut and then it winds down,
Moose rut in mid to late September and into and thru to about October 20 th then drops hard,
So start calling in September and as you go out, you'll get some action on your calls. The peak October 1 to the 13th.
Pre rut begins Sept 9th or so and by September 20 it's going hard then Oct 1 it peaks and stays high til Oct 13 then drops
If you live in Vancouver area then try LEH ANY BULL MOOSE in MU 3-19 AorB. Hunt betweeen Sept 23 to Oct 13.
Call and wait, listen and watch for response from a bull moose in the rut. Then Whack goes the arrow .................
Close to and on the Coq 5, and excellent habitat for moose, mule deer, whitetail, Exit 336 off the Coq at Logan Lake turn off
Jel ..

hunter1947
02-21-2013, 04:21 AM
For archery hunt if me I would put in for mu C-112 ,,hunt code 2009 Conuma river drainage..

For mule deer flat tops Princeton mu 8-05 A hunt code 7075 good luck with your results for LEH..

I am with jel on this zone for moose mu 3-19 AorB.

fishingguy44
02-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the tips and the PMS guys

jtred
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
I always put in for LEH in the wmu's where I do most of my hunting, it is easier for those of us that actually live where we hunt. You could for example put in for leh where you would also have the most general open season(gos) opportunities making the trip a mixed bag hunt. Make the most of each trip you take.

Gateholio
02-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Best advic I can give for LEH is to be sure wherever you put in for, you can actually get to. Do you need to fly or take a boat? Is it a long way from home and you need to take a long trip?

hunter1947
02-23-2013, 03:59 AM
Best advic I can give for LEH is to be sure wherever you put in for, you can actually get to. Do you need to fly or take a boat? Is it a long way from home and you need to take a long trip?

Clarke good advice X2

lineofsight
02-23-2013, 04:46 AM

X3, often there is a good reason why the odds are favourable - few put in for it cause impossible to get to...

Get some moose puzzles, putting them together you will learn to recognize what parts of the moose looks like because all you may be able to see at first is just part of it - just made that up on the spot :)

HarryToolips
02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey guys,

this year ill be putting in for my first LEH. I am thinking of doing flat top mulies, archery elk on the island, and moose. moose is where I am looking for some advice. I will be bow hunting and looking for a good place to start. not looking for a trophy just a successful hunt. any input would be amazing.
Anytime your out learning and enjoying yourself outdoors is a successful hunt..If your new, your odds are already better than the rest of us!!

fishingguy44
02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Anytime your out learning and enjoying yourself outdoors is a successful hunt..If your new, your odds are already better than the rest of us!!
I heard that was a myth....?

Hunt-4-Life
03-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Been said already, but make sure you know that you can effectively hunt the zone you put in for. My 2 bits is to put with a big group application, see if you can get 3-4 guys together on you moose draw. Better odds of getting drawn that way, chance to take two bulls (as a group) if you do get drawn, and more fun to hunt as a big group anyway. Good luck!