PDA

View Full Version : The difference between hunting boots and backpacking boots

rides bike to work
02-19-2013, 10:15 PM
I have been shopping for a new pair of boots for hunting and have found a big difference between the boots named hunting boots and the boots named backpacking boots.

The hunting boots are found at hunting stores and some sports stores . they are typically a full height either part synthetic or full leather . The design is comparable to a tactical boot. I find these boots have a soft shank and aren't very supportive

The backpacking boots are found at more mountaineering stores mec and such. They are usually a mid height boot very stiff shanked and solid

I have used the backpacking style of boot an liked it. I have met a lot of people from either army or rescue workers who swear by the tactical style boot but how can a million hipsters in gortex be wrong?

Why iS it the boot companies don't have a stiff backing boot style an call it a hunting boot
one of the. Young fellas at a hunting store said with back packing in sheep and goat country you need a full height tactical boot aka hunting boot but the hiking gurus at mec say back packing boots are the only way to go.
I don't need to by and carry around two pairs of boots do I ?

realneil
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I work at a store that sells hiking, backpacking and mountaineering boots and I think these styles of boots do a great job for hunting. I use a combination of a light, mid height, pretty flexible boot with waterproof membrane for earlier season hunting when I am carrying a daypack and then a heavier,stiff, all leather or nubuck mountaineering boot for when I am further afield and am probably going to be hunting in snow and maybe packing an animal out. I use this same boot for ice climbing as well so it will take a rigid crampon.
I don't get to hunt for sheep but chat with a lot of customers that do, the majority seem to like backpacking/moutaineering boots. Made for hauling heavy loads and moving around in steep technical terrain. You can expect to pay $150-$250 for the lighter weight hiking boots and around $300-$500 for a heavy duty backpacking/mountaineering boot. Still possible to find Italian made, Scarpa, Lasportiva are a couple brands. Lots to choose from, make sure to do a thorough sizing and then wear the boot around the house for an evening to make sure you have the right fit. Most places will let you bring the boots back if they haven't been worn outside, if you find you are getting hot spots. Hope that helps, most of the dedicated sheep hunters on here will have their own favorites that are tested over time.

MattW
02-19-2013, 11:35 PM
If you do a lot of different types of hunting you may indeed find that you need more than one pair of boots. Myself I have an uninsulated set of stiff backpacking/hunting boots (Kenetreks) for early season sheep hunting as well as a set of heavy insulated (and also pretty stiff) Whites for later season hunting. I like good ankle support so I always end up with tall stiff boots, terrain is rough and if you're succesful there will be some packing and myself I don't like rolled ankles.

fireguy
02-20-2013, 12:31 AM
I used to go through boots at an alarming rate, they were good quality "hunting" boots. Years ago I switched to a very good mounteneering boot. It's been over 14 years and they are still in great shape. The souls are getting a bit worn down but they are still in great shape and have amazing support. I don't even know how many miles of very tough terrain I have put on them but I would never switch back now, even with the higher cost.

I have a solomon mounteneering boot, the modle doesn't really matter because I am sure they don't make that modle still but I paid about $500 for them 14 years ago, well worth the investment.

swampthing
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Get a crossover boot like the kenetrek mountain extreem. By your definition these would be a stiff hunting boot that works great in both the flats and the mountains. The stiff mountaineering boots are too much in the flat country, meaning they are too hard to walk in on flat ground but awesome on steep terrain.

KTownKiller
02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
I agree with swampthing. The mountaineering boots can be too stiff on flatter ground. For my sheep hunting, I got some very narrow fitting AKU boots that are designed in Italy. They are rated as a trekking boot, that's in between a backpacking and a mountaineering boot. The Italian boots tend to fit narrow, German boots tend to fit wider feet. For just deer hunting, backpacking boots are fine, but for going on backpacking trips into the mountains, something like the Kenetreks or a trekking boot give the support needed on steep terrain. MAKE SURE the boots have a perfect fit with a good snug feel. I wear them in the store, let them warm up on your foot for atleast 15 min., if they still feel alright, take them home and wear them inside for a couple hours even. After all this, if you don't feel any pressure points and your heel isn't moving up and down, KEEP 'EM. :-D I've seen too many guys learn this lesson the hard way, including myself. :cry: I don't even look at the boots with camo fabric. Seen them in the alpine before...what a joke! All leather for me.

sherpa-Al
02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Boots can be a hot topic, everybody has different likes, uses, opinions etc that can make it hard to decide on what to buy. If you are planning on buying a pair of boots that you are taking sheep/goat hunting, do not buy cheap boots. If you add up the costs of your backpacking hunting trips for the next 12-15 years (this is how long a good pair of boots will last you if taken care of) and add on another $400-$500 for boots, it's peanuts really. You will go through 3-4 pairs of cheaper boots that look good on the shelf, and perform well on road hunts, just ask the kid selling them. Your feet, your hunting buddies, and your hunts will all suffer because of a poor boot choice. Go with long time proven companies like Meindl, Scarpa or others and find a full leather, rigid, gortex lined, vibram soled boot, and wear them around the store. My last pair of boots were bought after I brought in my pack with 100lbs of weight ( 2 rocks and a bag of cement mix) and walked around in the boots for a bit, up and down the stairs, on and off the stepstool to make sure I was happy with the performance while packing weight, this is where they must be comfortable and the high end boots will be just that.

I use 3 pairs of hunting boots, 1 newer backpacking pair and 2 old backpacking pairs, just don't have the heart to throw them out, and the fact that after 20 years of hard hunting they still will outperform most new "hunting" boots on the market today!

Al

Amphibious
02-22-2013, 06:34 AM
I've spenT $1000's over the last decade or so and have yet to find a heavy packing boot that doesn't turn my heals into hamburger. Meindel, Sportiva, Scarpa, etc. I tend to stick to a lighter, more flexible hiker now and trade the reduced support for comfort. in the end it means i can be out longer and travel farther faster. a stiff shank and a heavy toe cap is nice when you're kicking for toe-holds in goat country. still searching for the best of both worlds.... one day i'll find "the boot".

kitnayakwa77
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Hard to argue with companies like La Sportiva, Scarpa, Lowa etc that have been making mountain boots for over a century. They know what they are doing!

Rob
02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I wear my lasportivas all the time. stiff but love them

Roughneck Country
03-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Hanwag Alaska GTX is what I have, super comfortable, great suport, best boots I have ever owned. I was on a 21 day back pack hunting trip in Alaska and the only part of me that wasn't sore was my feet. Make sure to use a smart wool type sock wit any boot you choose it will help a lot keeping the feet dry.

Comment 2 is you get what you pay for with boots, a $100 pair of boots doesn't compete with some of the more expensive hunting boots that have been listed above.

squamishhunter
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I have full leather with goretex liner and 3/4 shank, use it all year 'round