PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you shootin/Remington 700 Experts

HarryToolips
02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
I have a Remington 700 .30-06, have been sighting it in, and I have just a couple questions for all of you:

1. Do any of you people find, with your rifles, that the first shot with a clean dry barrel, is a bit off of the rest of the grouping? ie. the gun basically likes a dirty barrel.

2. I have been experimenting with different types of ammo, seems my gun didn't like the Federal Power Shok (Blue box), didn't like the Hornady Ballistic tip SST's, but likes the Federal Fusions as well as the Remington Core-Lokt. Seems to like the Core-Lokt's a bit better. What do you Remington 700 owners find to be the best ammo for your gun?

Thanks for your thoughts all.

Steeleco
02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Many find a gun to be more accurate with a fouled barrel. Hell my 10-22 take some 30 or so rounds after a good cleaning to get back to being a tack driver.
As too "best ammo for your gun" each gun is different, your .06 may shoot 1" MOA all day long, the next identical gun may hate that load and like a completely different one.

02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Own a "few" Remingtons and have found at least a couple of will shoot very consistent with a dirty barrel. Also found the first shot out of a clean barrel depending on the gun is sometimes a flyer compared to the rest. That isn't only a Remington thing, something about the particular barrel. Core-Lokt's aren't the best bullets on the market but have found them to be fairly accurate in all my rifles they have been tried in. I reload but sometimes will buy factory offerings and one that l've found very good in a couple of Rem. rifles is the Hornady Custom ammo. If your rifle likes them and reloading isn't an option, you can't go too far wrong for an over the counter offering.

burger
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I shoot Fusions and have found them to be the most consistent with my 700. I also felt I was getting better groups with 180 grains rather than the 165's

Dre
02-19-2013, 09:24 PM
My Rem.700 30-06 is very similar, it takes 2- 3 rounds for it to settle in, but after that its 1" - 1 1/4" with hunting rounds and consistently under an inch with match rounds. Always do you sight-in check with a fouled bore, once satisfied, leave it alone for the rest of the season. This is normal for most rifles, though once in a while you get one that just doesn't care and shoots the same all the time.

finngun
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
go to a rifle range and take cleaningrod with you ...shoot 3 shots,,, clean the gun repeat 3 shots,, mark you hits,,and even better use multiple targets..
just 3 hits each targets,,repeat couple times here is you answer about your gun...every gun is different:-D cheers f-g

HarryToolips
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
My Rem.700 30-06 is very similar, it takes 2- 3 rounds for it to settle in, but after that its 1" - 1 1/4" with hunting rounds and consistently under an inch with match rounds. Always do you sight-in check with a fouled bore, once satisfied, leave it alone for the rest of the season. This is normal for most rifles, though once in a while you get one that just doesn't care and shoots the same all the time.
What are match rounds?
Thanks for the feedback guys, Burger - I found the 180 grain for .30-06 to be most consistent as well. Finngun- exactly what I was doin thanks for the clarification! Also Dre- I clean my gun at home after every outing, your sayin it ok to leave the barrel fouled? Ain't that bad for the barrel??

new hunter
02-19-2013, 10:50 PM
I shoot 3/4moa with 150grn 30-06 federal blue box , after six shots out of my savage .
The groups visibly shrink by a bit .
My rifles stainless , so I dont worry too much about cleaning it right away , but I dont leave it for too long .

Dre
02-19-2013, 11:06 PM
What are match rounds?
Thanks for the feedback guys, Burger - I found the 180 grain for .30-06 to be most consistent as well. Finngun- exactly what I was doin thanks for the clarification! Also Dre- I clean my gun at home after every outing, your sayin it ok to leave the barrel fouled? Ain't that bad for the barrel??

I handload, so for me, my match grade ammo consists of sorted Fed cases, Fed. match primers, Sierra Matchking 168gr bullets, H4350 powder. You can however just buy Federal match ammo in 30-06, 168gr with all of the above components rolled into a shiny package for about $34/20 :), (powder is different I think-IMR4064. No problem with the barrel, only SKS rifles using corossive ammo is a problem. You can clean it if you want, just fire a couple of fouling shots before you hunt with it. If you clean every time and re-sight in, it is a bit like chasing your tail, I went through the same thing.

HarryToolips
02-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Right on thanks Dre..New Hunter- Thats awesome I got a Savage basic 111 model, and it likes the Federal Blue box as well. Them Savage's shoot great for the money!!!

Iron Glove
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
I've been using 165 Federal Fusions in my 700 BDL since i got it and have probably only cleaned the barrell 2 - 3 times in 7 years.
Mind you, I don't shoot a lot 'cause I'm a lousy hunter. :)
Never had a problem with fliers, always have acceptable groups.

treehugger
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I have the same gun, same caliber... I love the trigger. When I broke the gun in I snaked the barrel after every shot for the first box and a half of ammo. I shoot federal exclusively and have never had a problem. When you say flier, are they off in the white paper or maybe 1 1/2" off center at 100yds? Is it the difference between clipping and clean kill?

Sundance1972
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
A lot of people (myself included) will only clean a barrel when the accuracy starts going downhill. In my old 7mm Rem Mag (Rem 700), this would be after about 80 shots. First couple 3 shot groups after cleaning would be about 1 1/4", then it would settle down to 1/2-3/4". When they opened back up to 1 1/4" or so , I knew it was time to clean and start all over again.
I try to shoot as much as possible year round with all of my guns, but whichever rifle I plan to hunt with for the fall gets dialed in and left alone until the season is over. I will obviously clean and oil the outside and check the bore for obstructions, but will not strip it down or touch the bore until I know I'm done hunting with it. Hopefully this makes sense?

squeege
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I use the horndy light mags with 165gr SST's. Shoots great and I trust my life with this gun and those bullets. Also gets 3100fps out of the old girl (I bought it used back in 1988.

Fred1
02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm a firm believer in a "dirty" barrel! (insert joke here). From what I have seen most people tend to over clean their guns... mostly in the off season. Maybe just refreshing the feel in the hands a bit. Use oils and lubrication sparingly ;) Oils can trap dirt and dust - I suppose a lubricated barrel would cause a bullet to stray - makes sense to me?! My 338 takes a beating during guide season. Boats trucks quads etc... Mud snow rain etc. Heck its been to the bottom of the river twice! I have to admit, I only clean the barrel when I fear something may have gotten into it - and then I just snake it a few times. Dont get me wrong, if its dirt dirty she gets the full mean deal - then a round thru it! But as for fouling from shooting... a few snakes, no lube/oil or magic gun cleaner stuff... thats it! It still shoots bang on!

As for certain bullets and loads: My Ruger 338 and Tikka 270wsm (Federal Premium Vital Shock) shoot dead on with off the shelf Federal bullets - I got lucky and they worked and thats what I stuck with. I never change brands or bullet weights. Some barrels seem to do better with certain bullets - my friend cant shoot a Federal out of his Tikka 270wsm - bullets wont group. However it works great with another brand?!? His 7mm H&H wont group with a Barnes copper bullet?!? Who knows why?!
So, if you cant group with one bullet/brand try another, dont give up on the gun until you are sure its a flaw in the gun. They are our there....

budismyhorse
02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
My experience and those of many guys I shoot with say the first one is usually off as a result of poor technique or a different hold compared to after the first shot wakes you up....

We have even tested the dirty barrel issue out by cleaning at the range and haven't seen one single difference...that being said... Everyone has their own experiences