PDA

View Full Version : Offical Halibut Notice for 2013

lorneparker1
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0087-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (other than Salmon) - Halibut: 2013 Recreational Fishery Opening Date and NEW Management Measures

Halibut Stock Status:

Over the past decade, the Pacific halibut stock has been declining continuously
as a result of decreasing size-at-age and poor recruitment. This stock decline
has resulted in significant decreases in overall total allowable catches (TAC)
in the Pacific from 74.9 million pounds in 2003 to 31.0 million pounds in 2013,
a reduction of approximately 58 percent.

Canada’s overall allocation for 2013 is 7.04 million pounds and the
recreational fishery allocation is 1.080 million pounds.

The objectives for the recreational fishery are:
– to stay within the allocation (TAC),
– to effectively manage, enforce and assess the fishery,
– to follow the guiding principles of the “Vision for the Recreational Fishery
in BC” such as providing stable and predictable opportunities and to share
responsibility for catch monitoring and reporting.

Consultations on the 2013 halibut management options commenced in September
2012 through the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) process and concluded at
the main SFAB meetings Feb 2-3, 2013.

DFO has received and considered the SFAB recommendations. The following
measures will be in place for 2013 and assessed at the end of year as to how
they met the overall fishery objectives.

DFO will be releasing information related to releasing fish safely and in the
least harmful manner as well as the proper packaging and transport of large
fish.

The 2012/2013 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence are
in effect until 23:59 hours March 31, 2013.

2013/2014 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences will be available electronically
in mid to late March. Manual (waterproof paper) licences will be shipped to
vendors as soon as possible for the new licence year.
Further updates on Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences will be provided as
information becomes available.

Coast wide:

Open time:
Effective at 00:01 hours March 15, 2013 fishing for halibut will be opened
coastwide until further notice.

Limits and sizes:

Effective 00:01 hours March 15 to 23:59 hours March 31, 2013, the daily limit
for halibut is one (1) and the possession limit for halibut is two (2), of
which only one may be greater than 83cm.

Effective 00:01 hours April 1, 2013 until further notice:
- The maximum length for halibut is 126cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 83cm in length.
- There will be an annual limit of six (6) halibut (per licence holder).
- All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in
ink on the Tidal Waters Sport Fishing licence. The area from which each
halibut is caught and its length shall immediately be recorded on license.

The exceptions to these openings are:

Areas 121, 23 and 123:
Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2013 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2013:

No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121
outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees
34.000 minutes North latitude and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes West longitude and
continues south easterly at a bearing of 116 degrees True to a point at 48
degrees 28.327 minutes North latitude and 125 degrees 01.687 minutes West
longitude.

Electronic licence conditions will be continued as follows: “Only a Canadian
resident may fish for or retain halibut under an electronic licence in
management Areas 121, 23 and 123.”

Area 121:
A reminder to recreational harvesters, that the waters of Swiftsure Bank,
inside a line from 48°34.00'N and 125°06.00'W, thence to 48°34.00'N and 124°
54.20'W, thence to 48°29.62'N and 124°43.40'W, thence following the
International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48°29.55'N and 124°
56.20'W, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement, are closed to
all finfish, all year.

Note: Rockfish Conservations Areas (RCA’s) remain in effect – refer to the
following website for descriptions:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...ca-acs-eng.htm (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint/rca-acs-eng.htm).

Variation Orders 2013-79 and 2013-80.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Glenn Lario 250-720-4447, Devona Adams 604-666-3271, Mark Reagan 250-
627-3409 or Neil Davis 604-666-9033.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0087
Sent February 19, 2013 at 12:09
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/)

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

EGLPNT
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Complete bullshit. 1/7 of the allocation? Did anyone take into account how much a sport caught halibut is worth to the economy vs a commercial caught? Apparently not. The whole "this is for conservation" is a crock. If conservation was an issue to the powers that be then stricter regulations regarding salmon, specifically chinooks, would have been enacted years ago. This whole halibut debacle is like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone. End rant.

6 K
02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
"NO!" to size limit

G F Y S !

Hook or Bullet
02-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Totally not what I was expecting. How did they land on the 126 cm maximum length?

EGLPNT
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Totally not what I was expecting. How did they land on the 126 cm maximum length?

A dart board with numbers on it.

The Dude
02-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Are commercial and FN allocations restricted by size limits?
If not, then the 14% that put the most into the resource/fish are the only ones limited by this? Is that really gonna help?

Try telling a fishing lodge customer that anything worth bragging about has to be released immediately......should be great for business.

lorneparker1
02-19-2013, 10:55 PM
No commericails and FN are not restricted.

Not only that something worth bragging about must be immediately released but anything over about 60lbs must be released. Imagine paying $800-$1500 a head and hooking and getting to the boat 2 70 lbers and having to release them both and go home empty handed. Same could be said for any mainlander towing thier rig across for $500, $1000 ish in misc gas and accomdations and the same scenario

Spy
02-19-2013, 10:56 PM
All 400000 + of us should not buy a lisence on the 01 April & tell DFO to GGF. The time has come for a full scale boycott.

ianwuzhere
02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
are salt water licenses printed off online just like freshwater?? i havent bot one in forever.
so people can just print out a whole pocket full of licenses and write down the catch on them then throw them away when they reach the six annual limit?
size restrictions make sense to help preserve the breeding stock but in real life situations are tuff.
from what ive heard some type of restriction such as this was inevitable..

Keta1969
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
This size limit is not about conservation,read the DFO notice the word is not there!! The fishery as a whole is very well managed by the International Halibut Commission.This ridiculous size limit is all about restricting resident anglers so that the lodges can fill seats in Sept. Already from what guys are posting here there will be noncompliance and also mortalities associated with trying to release larger fish. Quite a mess all brought about by our own SFAB.

proguide66
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
So how fast would the rest of 'the Planet' starve with no halibutfor a couple years.?? EFF EM ALL , if its numbers they are concerned about , shut the whole efing lot down for a season er two....dumbass's. Bet there's going to be a shitload of off shore filleting going on.This govt is a joke , period.Mankind is going insane....insane because we 'let' insanity have control.

Dutch Ppoacher
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
early spring ukee trips are going to sell better for the guides!

danalex
02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
canceling my summer fishing trip , going to buy my halibut from a native , never thought I would say that. I refuse to buy a license

6 K
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=danalex;1291819]canceling my summer fishing trip , going to buy my halibut from a native , never thought I would say that. I refuse to buy a license[

THIS DOES NOTHING TO HELP ANYTHING AT ALL.

SUAFOYT
02-21-2013, 09:10 AM
are salt water licenses printed off online just like freshwater?? i havent bot one in forever.
so people can just print out a whole pocket full of licenses and write down the catch on them then throw them away when they reach the six annual limit?
size restrictions make sense to help preserve the breeding stock but in real life situations are tuff.
from what ive heard some type of restriction such as this was inevitable..

You could try but don't think it will work. When you buy online you're assigned a number. Can't buy another unless you have legit reason. System tracks your online activity.

Caribou_lou
02-21-2013, 11:55 AM
You could try but don't think it will work. When you buy online you're assigned a number. Can't buy another unless you have legit reason. System tracks your online activity.

I think he meant printing off multiple copies of the same license.

Piperdown
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM

Bingo should not have electronic licenses for this reason!

Gateholio
02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Even if you couldn't print multiple licences, forging them would be easy these days. If someone wants to make documents, it's easy. Look at what our money looks like now, all to prevent forgeries. Hunting and fishing regulations really depend on voluntary compliance more than enforcement.

Salty
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
When the CG or DFO ask to see your fishing licence these days they also ask to see your drivers licence or other photo ID with your current address on it.

IronNoggin
02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
... Quite a mess all brought about by our own SFAB.

Now there's a rather Uninformed and Ignorant Accusation! :cry:
The entire issue lies firmly at the feet of DFO and it's all too friendly relationship with the commercial quota owners.

The SFAB was presented with a series of options by DFO. NONE of the could have been considered "Good" by any means.
And they made what they considered to be the Best of the Evil's choice in this regard.
It certainly isn't the Hard Working Volunteers within the SFAC's and SFAB that are to blame for this development.
They put endless hours into an often thankless task, trying to work out solutions that will maximize access for all of the Recreational Sector.
And then get crapped on for doing so. :icon_frow

I've recently quit another Forum over this very type of mud-slinging. Seems some simply cannot hold their tongue when they know little or nothing about how the process works. And it seems the vast majority that do so find themselves amongst the ranks who do not attend mettings, do not understand the process, do not take the time to get involved beyond tossing stones.

Shameful actually.

No-one I am aware of (beyond the Fish Brokers) are at all happy with this decision. Certainly NOT myself.
But lay the blame where it belongs - DFO and it's corrupt system of harvest allocation. Not at the feet of those desperately trying to make the best out of a horribly awry situation! :evil:

Nog

blindguy
02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Well said Nog!! and i'm very much on the fence with that other forum your talking about .

SUAFOYT
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM

I don't know if you can run multiple copies from the online app, but there aren't many out there that don't have a salmon stamp. You can't run copies of that without paying the extra. GH suggests that counterfeiting is easier and I would agree with something of great monetary value, but a sport fishing license? I doubt it. If you check the DFO site, if you claim to have lost a fishing license, you can only get a replacement, at no charge at a vendor site. So I assume that you can't do it online.

Piperdown
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
x2 Trev, bloody gong show

Well said Nog!! and i'm very much on the fence with that other forum your talking about .

The Dude
02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
x3 ....... it's like babysitting at a special needs summer camp.

SUAFOYT
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
x3 ....... it's like babysitting at a special needs summer camp.

Too true, but at least special needs have an excuse.

Gateholio
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't know if you can run multiple copies from the online app, but there aren't many out there that don't have a salmon stamp. You can't run copies of that without paying the extra. GH suggests that counterfeiting is easier and I would agree with something of great monetary value, but a sport fishing license? I doubt it. If you check the DFO site, if you claim to have lost a fishing license, you can only get a replacement, at no charge at a vendor site. So I assume that you can't do it online.

If licenses weren't available online, and you wanted to make many forged copies of your store bought license in order to catch more halibut than legal, anybody with the bare minimum of computer graphics skills would be able to make as many forged copies as they wanted. Hope that is more clear.

Krico
02-26-2013, 08:00 PM

When you purchase online and print the licences, either freshwater or saltwater, you can print as many copies as you wish. Each copy shows the salmon and or steelhead stamp you purchased as well.

blindguy
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
yup if you buy online you can get as many copies as you want.

ya Mike thoses guys over there should be ashamed of themselves. lol

scallywag
02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
No they are saying anything over the 60 lb range is breeding stock and in my mind not really worth muchore the bragging rights

blindguy
02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Scallywag that has no bearing on these new regs , it's only purpose is to reduce the poundage we get in an attempt to give us a longer season. trust me every big fish we let go will get caught by the commercial boys and they are all good in keeping them. i'm sure there going to be laughing all the to the bank.

Sundance1972
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Talked to a couple officers at the DFO booth down at the boat show in Vic on Sunday about the size limits. They didn't seem to like it either, but "rules are rules and we all have to live with them" was one of the answers I got.

There should be some well fed crab and other bottom fish with the "fillet and release" program I'm sure a lot of guys will start.