PDA

View Full Version : For the Meindl boot lovers on HBC

Elkhound
02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Pretty interesting spike system

http://www.gizmag.com/meindl-retractable-spike-boots/26174/

German footwear manufacturer Meindl recently added an innovative solution for winter traction to its line. The metal spikes in the Tecvision Spike System provide traction during the slipperiest winter conditions and quickly retract back into the rubber sole when they're not needed. You can tackle all winter conditions with one pair of boots.

The company has designed the studs to automatically retract on hard, dry ground, but we're guessing they might have trouble with certain types of ground materials, like carpeting.
The Tecvision system gives you integrated traction while ensuring that the boots are strictly rubber on ground when walking on dry asphalt, dirt, carpet and other surfaces where spikes aren't required. Since situations where you'll need full-on spikes tend to be rare for most of us, being able to retract them completely should prove an advantage over systems like Icebug's.

A simple gear system is built inside the boots, allowing the spikes to move in and out. A dial on the heel flips out and turns to discharge the six spikes. It then flips back into place flush with the back of the boot. The spikes are spread evenly across the sole to provide sure, steady traction on extra slick surfaces. Once the land turns dry again, simply turn the dial to send the spikes back into the sole. When the spikes are retracted, the sole is as versatile as any other boot and can be worn in the car and house.
Given that you won't need traction spikes during moderate weather or casual walks, Meindl is limiting the Tecvision system to a few of its beefiest winter boots. It will be available on next year's Gastein Spike GTX, Island Spike MFS and Arctic Spike GTX, all of which use GORE-TEX construction. A rep told us that pricing has yet to be set, but the boots will be available in September.

RiverOtter
02-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Personally, I'd rather go to a reputeable cobbler and have a caulk sole installed, and then you'd have something...

Jager
02-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Always wanted boots with retractable caulks ever since I took a header off the slime covered boardwalk on the west coast trail. I wonder how well they function.

Boner
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
They look hokey. They aren't full on spikes. I use caulks when i'm falling trees on steep ground and I wear out the outside ones way more than the inside ones. The Meindl setup that they show have none near the outer edges of the boot where they would be useful for hiking up and down steep slopes with your feet sideways. Especially if the ground is frozen.

These look like Jasper town boots. An empty backpack and a set of hiking poles would go great with these boots.

Timberjack
02-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Just get a set of canada pros caulked and be done with it!!!

TJ

Marlin375
02-20-2013, 10:34 PM
I would use them for shoveling my driveway, it is steep and if the wife drives on it before it gets cleaned off it is always good for a wipe out of some sort.