PDA

View Full Version : Predator hunting, Quesnel area questions

sed8ed
02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
So it seems I may have managed to finish my project up here early so I was planning on going out for a bit of coyote and possibly wolf hunting. Only problem is I don't really know the area very well.

I was thinking of heading up past dunkley mill on Naver creek road up towards Ahbau lake since I saw quite a bit of wolf sign on big valley road this past may. I do have one of the quads with me, however it doesn't have the tracks installed so if the snow is too deep I won't be able to carry on.

Any thoughts on this area or any other suggestions on places to go hunt?

Thanks

LYKTOHUNT
02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
First of all there is wolf and coyote sign almost everywhere in the Quesnel area however without tracks I dont think you are going to be able to get off the main roads, you might be able to travel on some well used sled trails but I still think it will be difficult on wheeled vehicles, I was out last weekend on a sled and the snow is very soft and about two feet deep where i was

sed8ed
02-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks... Unfortunately I needed the wheeled unit for work, thinking back I should have put the track set in the back of the truck... Still, quad is better than truck for access... How are the little lakes along Naver for pred? They are a short snowshoe trek from the mainline.

KB90
02-19-2013, 10:44 AM
I would head out the 300 or 500 road. Lots of little lakes and swamps you can set up and call on.

They are both main roads and will be plowed.

If theres fresh snow I can almost guarantee you'll cut some fresh wolf tracks. We came close once on a small beaver pond, had them howling back but would not come out of the bush.

shallowH2O
02-19-2013, 10:51 AM
head deep west, past nazko. ittle snow out that way, lots of wolves, and should beable to get a bit more acess with the wheeled quad. watch for logging trucks though!!

sed8ed
02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks, nazko sounds like a good destination if the snow level is lower... I have my portable radio on my radio bib so ill be calling up and down (hopefully the logging trucks are as well)

The Dawg
02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Saw a ton of sign out the nazko this year. Been there a couple times and it was slow for logging, but busy for tracks!

adamgarbett
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
My uncle lives up in quesnel. He told me every time he goes out ice fishing he see's a few wolf. They just come out the trees and sit on the tree line and watch his dog run around and play. So I would think you should have some good succes👍. Any how, good luck and have fun

Drillbit
02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
I got a nice one behind Dunkley in Dec, loner, no other tracks around. Went on the weekend, and not much was plowed so couldn't get into the good spots (cooked my sled so I'm stuck to whats plowed right now), no tracks of anything in behind dunkley. Too much snow, no moose/deer, no feed for wolves.

Let us know where you go and what you see!

Drillbit
02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
My uncle lives up in quesnel. He told me every time he goes out ice fishing he see's a few wolf. They just come out the trees and sit on the tree line and watch his dog run around and play. So I would think you should have some good succes. Any how, good luck and have fun

What lake? I'll check it out

adamgarbett
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm not to sure I can ask him Tomoro for ya

Drillbit
02-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Absolutely! I'm out and about anyways, might as well try somewhere somebody's seen something. Haven't heard much for wolf sightings lately.

Hunt-4-Life
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Lot of wolf tracks on the gas line a few clicks from the Hwy north of Lac La Hache.