PDA

View Full Version : Irish setter boots for late season .

new hunter
02-19-2013, 01:59 AM
I am debating two different models of Irish setter boots , the Elk trackers , and the grizzly trackers .
Last year I had to give up on a set of really big deer tracks when he made his way into a steepish rock slide with about 8inches of snow .
At the time I was wearing light weight columbia hikers , I am now shopping for something that can handle the late season snow in pemberton , steep grade , and have a decent tread so I'm not slipping around on wet logs etc ( will get cork boots later ).
I had the grizzly trackers recomended by a guy who hunts deer in pemberton , apparently he has bought two pairs .
I thought the grizzly trackers sounded good by description , but the elk trackers are cut higher and cost almost twice as much ( grizzly trackers $140 at bass pro , elk trackers for $300 at cabelas ).
The elk trackers look to be all leather , while the grizzlys are more goretex .
Both tread sound good , the elk trackers have a steel shank , I dont know if the grizzlies do .
I may use these boots on a high alpine trip this year ( if all goes well I'd like to do this repaetedly , I also would like to chase some Elk one day , but not soon ) .
Does anyone have any experience with either of these models , and which would be more appropriate ?
I am well aware of the more expensive brands out there , please keep the responses to theses two models .
Thanks .

Blacktail 270
02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
I hunt and hike with elk trackers. Dry feet in the best blacktail hunting weather a guy could ask for. I would be soaked through my goretex clothing but my feet would be dry and comfy. I don't think they are the best boot for scree fields and steep rock because of the lack of ankle support. There are better more expensive boots for that type of hunting. But if you're going to put miles on hunting BT's then elk trackers are great.

sarg
02-19-2013, 09:48 PM
i can remember what kind my irish setter are but there 600g boot and do me very well :) for late season deer hunting.

Whonnock Boy
02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Like I said in the PM, ET's are not what they used to be. Not only are the tongues coming apart, they are starting to leak too! In addition, I don't think the leather is of the same quality as well. These latest boots are two months old, and I will be returning them before the 100 day warranty, probably a couple days prior. Might as well get as much use out of them as I can. I was one of the biggest fans of these boots for over a decade, and now I am looking for a new brand. Do yourself a favour, and look elsewhere.

new hunter
02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
I hadnt read about leaking in your thread , I got the gist that the tongues were the issue but the majority of people were still happy .
Have you had any luck finding a comparable boot , in price and style ?
Have you looked at the grizzly trackers ?
Better yet , is the problem only with the elk trackers , or is it Irish setters in general ?
There is a comparable pair at Italian sporting goods ( irish setters , high cut like ETs , but with gore tex panelling as well as leather ) , marked down from $300 to $200.

Whonnock Boy
02-19-2013, 11:33 PM
I hadnt read about leaking in your thread , I got the gist that the tongues were the issue but the majority of people were still happy .
Have you had any luck finding a comparable boot , in price and style ?
Have you looked at the grizzly trackers ?
Better yet , is the problem only with the elk trackers , or is it Irish setters in general ?
There is a comparable pair at Italian sporting goods ( irish setters , high cut like ETs , but with gore tex panelling as well as leather ) , marked down from $300 to $200.

I can only speak for the ET's but, if one line of the boot has gone downhill, I can only assume the rest of them have. Yes, they just recently started leaking. Keep this in mind. I believe most are still happy with their boots because a) they are older, better made boots or b) they may have purchased recently, but have not put them to good use. How many guys do you know that buy a pair of hunting boots and get two months of solid use out of them in a year a hunting season? Not many. Most have probably purchased and only used them for a few trips, and put them back in the closet.

I have not searched out other brands, but the time is coming.

lorneparker1
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
i own elk trackers. Great warm boot for hiking around the bush. They are a bit heavy but not bad for moderate hiking. I would not recommend them for hardcore steep stuff. Not even close to enough support. I know you said keep it to the 2 responses but i just i have to. lol

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=2104244397&Category=2&Type=M

with these. and you are unstoppable in any terrain.

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

greenhorn
02-20-2013, 01:10 AM
I have Irish Setters and would consider them an OK boot not great. They aren't built as tough as I'd like.

Mine were never really waterproof, first trip out I felt like I was walking in a bath tube while wearing wool socks.

If you do get them, I'd recommend getting an aftermarket sealant and better insoles....

GoatGuy
02-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Might want to think about a set of schnees.

Gave a set of those things away but have another set, think they're elk trackers, you can have them if they fit your feet. Think they're 11 or 11.5?

hookedonblacktails
02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
New hunter, I know you said keep it to those two boots but are you going to Van before the end of the month, if so check out wss, I'm buying some lowa hunters this week from the store here in town for 300 down from 450, elk trackers aren't even in the same class as these, I beleive the sale is at all stores because they are bringing in my size from langly store. The sale is good till the end of the month, maybe more than you want to spend but that is the deal of a lifetime

Moe.JKU
02-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Ill recommend both of these boots I've put them through the ringer as well. Hiking up mountains in 2 feet of snow, or trekking through the marsh and wetlands for waterfowl. Very nice and light boots with great ankle support and durability.

Foxton Gundogs
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Best Boot I've ever owned. Wore my forst pair out after about 7 yrs and just bought my second. Great traction, warmth and last like crazy. I bought my first pair put them on and hunted phesant in Alberta for a week, no breakin required. Great bang for your buck. I have a pair of Elk Trackers and I like the Rockys much better.
http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4600/1600FQ0007480/Rocky-Sport-Utility-Pro-Insulated-Waterproof-Boots/

adamgarbett
02-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I love my elk trackers. Best boot IMO. I even wear mine while quading in the slushie wet snow and I have 100% warm and dry feet. Great traction and comfort. But like I said that's just my opinion.

new hunter
02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Might want to think about a set of schnees.

Gave a set of those things away but have another set, think they're elk trackers, you can have them if they fit your feet. Think they're 11 or 11.5?
Thanks for the offer , but I'm a 10 1/2.
But If my wife or her girlfriends ask I'm a size 14.
No why women cant parrallel park ?
Because ther entire lives they're told 6 inches is actually 8 1/2 .
lol

new hunter
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
New hunter, I know you said keep it to those two boots but are you going to Van before the end of the month, if so check out wss, I'm buying some lowa hunters this week from the store here in town for 300 down from 450, elk trackers aren't even in the same class as these, I beleive the sale is at all stores because they are bringing in my size from langly store. The sale is good till the end of the month, maybe more than you want to spend but that is the deal of a lifetime

WSS = whole sale sports ?
I'll look into these boots , thanks for the heads up , if they check out ( I want high cut boots , but I'm sure the qualitys there , this isnt the first time someone suggested lowas ) I'll head down on my next weekend , todays my sunday and I have a few appointments , other wise I'd be telling the missus to hurry up and get in the truck.
Lorne , thanks for the link as well , I'd prefer a high cut boot , but I'm getting that for climbing models are usually a bit lower.
I'm still going to go for high cut because I'll be hunting in deep snow more than in the alpine ( 3 days up top , as opposed to most of oct early nov in snow ) .
I like the treads you suggested , I have a pair of yack tracks which are similar but use a coil spring over a rubber band instead of chain , and mine dont have the aggressive cleat plate .
The one thing I have found with mine is that the collect snow when I descend , so much so that I usually have to kick clumps of snow off every few yards .
Do you have the same problem with the treads you suggested ?
I'm wandering if it isnt just snow sticking to cold metal , like on a metal snow shovel .
At work I spray my shovel with wd40 or jigaloo to prevent snow stick , I wander if spraying my cleats with cooking oil or pam would work , or if it would give me away ( scent ).

new hunter
02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Went down to van yesterday and picked up a pair of grizzly trackers .
The sales associate ( Carlos ) was pretty helpful , and even though the elk trackers were the most expensive in stock , we discussed what I would need for were I hunt and I settled on the grizzly trackers for there more aggressive snow tread , very stiff ankle support and toe cap.
Carlos had suggested a cheaper brand that he hunts with ( impressed me that he wasnt just trying to make the biggest buck , which he easilly could have ) , but in the end I chose the GTs for the reasons above .
When I first got my card I had a negative experience with the staff at Italian ( Nobody would serve me , they were only dealing with older guys , and when they did they did not seem respectful ) , I did not go back in for a few years .
I recently went back because they had reloading supplies no one else did , I am happy to say that theyre customer service has improved ( although its the same staff ) and I will be dealing with them again in the future .
I still prefer Reliable gun because they have always treated me fairly and respectfully , but Italian is coming in at a close second .