PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting in 6-09

Kanook Senior
02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Have hunted in areas 6-04 # 6-05 # and 6-06 with fairly good results. Our group is thinking about a new area and am looking for any info on area 6-09 , mainly the area around Nadina Lake , Our hunt would be in october . We would be using a Wall Tent along with a boat and a couple Quads.
Any help,would be great.

Yours In Moose Hunting
Robbie:-|:-|:-|

Jelvis
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
MU 6-9 -- Several mining and logging roads leed south into this 6-9 unit from the Houston area.
Including from east to west, Mckiligan, Dungate, Buck Flats, Morice and Barrett Station.
This is real good moose and bear country, with fair mule deer hunting as well, on these roads mentioned above, lots of local hunters road hunting mixed with out of towners.
Go the Morice River route, via the Owen Lake cut-off, to good swamp donkey hunting towards Francois Lake in (6-4) and s/w of here along the Morice River to Morice Lake.
or Smithers Telkwa a road goes up from Telkwa along the Telkwa River up high into good hunting for good moose and bears, a chance at a deer. From Smithers to here on the McDonnell Lake road. local ski hill area.
Other access to MU 6-9
North from Smithers to Hazelton and then s/w to Terrace along Hwy 16, some old roads in here like, Doughty, Boulder creek, Kitseqeucla, Legate creek, Chimdimash Creek and Kleanza Creek.
Driving in west as you go, it gets thicker and thicker coastal vegetation. Moose as you go in but thins as you keep west.
More rugged topography as well as you go westerly.
Bear numbers increase as you go west, and some of these here access roads get you into LEH Goats Rocky Mtn Variety.
From Terrace -- access into MU 6-9, up the logging road up the Copper River and Williams Creek.
Jel .. Good luck in 6-9 Mighty Fine Hunting .. Fair to GOOD Moose and Bear and a chance at some deer ..

coach
02-18-2013, 11:16 PM
I've been there many times. Here's an average bull killed by my hunting partner a few years ago:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1905.jpg

Here's the view of Nadina Lake from the Forest rec site:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_3587.jpg

Unfortunately, the hunting in the last few years has gone downhill due to pine beetles, salvage logging, combined with high grizzly and wolf predation. I killed this female on a trip a few years back and missed a huge black one two years later.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Wolf.jpg

If you're thinking of heading that way, I highly suggest contacting Brad or Wendy at Nadina Lake lodge. http://www.internetsportshow.com/searchit/nadinalakelodge.htm They are true "salt of the earth" people! The cabins are "rustic" but it's nice to have access to a shower every couple days while in moose camp. When we first started hunting there, the waiting list to get a cabin was a long one. We hunted with the same group of guys every year and heading there for the R6 October moose GOS felt like heading "home". Although moose numbers aren't what they once were - there were several hanging in camp when my friends last traveled there in 2011. My last trip was in 2009. Typically we killed 1-2 moose every year between 3 guys. Mule deer started showing up in the area about 10 years ago and numbers have been building..

Caribou_lou
02-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Great area. Many lakes. I'm sure you won't regret it.
I took a bull in the early hunt. Which I wouldn't suggest. Too hot for me... and the moose. I did get very lucky.

Charts
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Hey COACH!! Beauty Bull you shot there. Shot my bull in 6-4 this year in November with a buddy who owns a outfit up there. Shot my first wolf as well! BTW were you a football coach in the late 90's in the lower mainland?

coach
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Ha ha. Not a football coach - and that's not me with the bull. It's my hunting partner, OldnGrey. Had many gret trips to Nadina when I lived in the LML. Less need to travel that far now that I live in Kelowna.