PDA

View Full Version : Who Has a Kifaru Duplex Timberline?

harbinger
02-17-2013, 09:18 PM
I've read through all the back pack forums... can anyone with the Kifaru duplex timberline chime in here and tell me what you think of the pack? I think this is the bag I want but not being able to physically check it out make me a little leary of pulling the trigger on one.

decker9
02-18-2013, 02:52 AM
Hey howdy. I bought a dt 7200 last year. I've been threw a few packs over the years, but nothing even comes close to this one! It's the best investment I've made towards my gear. It's very comfterble even with a load.
It took about 7 weeks for it to show up, and was pretty much a $1000 bill by the time it got here, but it's well worth the $$ if you pack a lot.
The only downfall I have is the side pockets. There is only a strap for keeping them closed, no zipper or snap, so them pockets are always filling up with pine/spruce needles, and when it's raining whatever's in there will prolly get wet. I'm gonna sew a snap and a flap on mine, should be an easy fix.

I would recommend a DT in a heartbeat!

Rubberfist
02-18-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been running an MR 7500 for several years now and cannot speak highly enough about it. However I've wanted to cut my pack weight (the MR with attachements is around 11 pounds) without sacrificing durability (i.e. the innovative, yet structurally deficient Kuiu). A buddy who designs packs for Kifaru convinced me to try out a quasi-custom pack he is putting together for me; a modified DT1 7200 with the new Bikini frame and various attachment pockets, including a Grab-It and a Gun-bearer, which will give me around 8700 cu.i. at around 6lbs without sacrificing durability.

I'm skeptical so we'll see.

If you have any questions about their packs, call Aron Snyder at Kifaru 720-937-1418.

harbinger
02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Right now I have a Arctyrex Bora 80 and I love it but its just to small for an unassisted sheep hunt. Ive been e-mailing with Aaron a bit. My first choice is the Duplex Timberline on the Bikini frame. I'm a little skeptical about the lightweight frame though. I guess if I go with that and it blows, Kifaru would back up their product, I'll have to talk with them about that specifically.
Rubberfist, I'm intreagued by this quasi custom pack sounds like what I'm after. I was thinking that the DPTL1 with the longhunter lid would be plenty of volume. What pockets are you thinking of going with?

harbinger
02-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I know its kind of a pain in the butt but any chance you could post a photo of the side pockets?

Hey howdy. I bought a dt 7200 last year. I've been threw a few packs over the years, but nothing even comes close to this one! It's the best investment I've made towards my gear. It's very comfterble even with a load.
It took about 7 weeks for it to show up, and was pretty much a $1000 bill by the time it got here, but it's well worth the $$ if you pack a lot.
The only downfall I have is the side pockets. There is only a strap for keeping them closed, no zipper or snap, so them pockets are always filling up with pine/spruce needles, and when it's raining whatever's in there will prolly get wet. I'm gonna sew a snap and a flap on mine, should be an easy fix.

I would recommend a DT in a heartbeat!

Trekker
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
harbinger, kifaru makes excellent packs. but have you took a look at what mystery ranch has to offer. the frame system with the all the bags and attachments they have to offer is second to none. if you want to use your pack for everything from day hunts to 10 day + mountain hunts Id go with the MR system.

however the kifaru timberline is an excellent option, my friend has one and loves it. I also tryed it on and liked the feel and layout of the pack, however I couldn't turn down the versatility of the MR.

just my two cents. trekker.

Rubberfist
02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Right now I have a Arctyrex Bora 80 and I love it but its just to small for an unassisted sheep hunt. Ive been e-mailing with Aaron a bit. My first choice is the Duplex Timberline on the Bikini frame. I'm a little skeptical about the lightweight frame though. I guess if I go with that and it blows, Kifaru would back up their product, I'll have to talk with them about that specifically.
Rubberfist, I'm intreagued by this quasi custom pack sounds like what I'm after. I was thinking that the DPTL1 with the longhunter lid would be plenty of volume. What pockets are you thinking of going with?

2 x small belt pouches for the belt, 2 x large belt pouches for the sides of the pack, the soon to be released "larger" spotting scope pocket (that will accomodate an 85mm spotter), the longhunter lid, grab-it, and a gun bearer.

By quasi-custom, Aron knows how I hunt so he's "chopping" off "sh*t" that I won't need to lighten the pack.

Again, he knows I'm an MR loyalist so it will take a lot to impress me - but Aron is the straight goods when it comes to gear.

decker9
02-18-2013, 04:45 PM
I know its kind of a pain in the butt but any chance you could post a photo of the side pockets?

This first pic is with small things in it, it will tighten up some, but still leaks water and such.
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/4F8E309F-AB69-480B-A971-A30E31F9BFC9-12602-0000073697E1C494_zps502d16fe.jpg

This is with larger items, it leaves the pocket open a bit and fills up with crap.
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/E4192321-E44F-4D01-B2DC-493E10C13278-12602-0000073639482ED8_zps89fcb18e.jpg

a simple flap would solve the problem tho, if I would have noticed before I ordered it I would have asked them to add a couple on from the factory, just a thought.
Hope these pics help, cheers!

lorneparker1
02-18-2013, 06:55 PM
2 x small belt pouches for the belt, 2 x large belt pouches for the sides of the pack, the soon to be released "larger" spotting scope pocket (that will accomodate an 85mm spotter), the longhunter lid, grab-it, and a gun bearer.

By quasi-custom, Aron knows how I hunt so he's "chopping" off "sh*t" that I won't need to lighten the pack.

Again, he knows I'm an MR loyalist so it will take a lot to impress me - but Aron is the straight goods when it comes to gear.

Well i think like many, you will be a kifaru only person once you get the pack and MR will be long gone! and yes is super helpful, ive spoken to him a few times over the phone trying to figure out my pack when i first got it.

02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I am in the same boat, going to pull the trigger on the DT1 bag with long hunter lid and 2 small pockets and load shelf between bag and frame. I was leaning to the bikini frame but am worried about the meat pushing between the frame sides and into my back as it is more open than the duplex frame, with the lightweight stays it is only around a 1.5 lb difference for the more robust frame not including the bag lightening tricks highlighted on the rokslide. I would like to see the layout of the new spotter bag if you have it, I am hoping for something like the back pouch but longer with a center divider. A bomber bag at around 7 lbs all up is good for me and dont see the need to chase ounces there, but have some other gear that is going lighter.

goinghunting
02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
What do you like about the kifaru over the MR packs?

Well i think like many, you will be a kifaru only person once you get the pack and MR will be long gone! and yes is super helpful, ive spoken to him a few times over the phone trying to figure out my pack when i first got it.

lorneparker1
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Well ive never owned an MR pack, but i tried on both a 6500 and had a Crew Cab for a weekend. I never tried a kifrau before i bought it, but the reviews were so astounding i felt pretty good about it. The number 1 biggest difference is weight. 3 to 5 lbs for the same cub inches is huge. Also the suspension and load lifters specifically are 2nd to none ( that ive tried on anyway.. You really have to walk around with 50 lbs in a kifaru and 50 ina MR to understand. MR are great packs 100%, but kifaru is the best in the business if you ask me. Lastly the ability to customize is amazing ( and expensive) lol THe option are absolutely endless with pockets, lash kits, grab its, gun bearers,different lids. etc etc etc.

harbinger
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
I've been looking at a new pack for a long time. I've been making due with what I have for a while. Now my kids are getting old enough I can probably do a backpack hunt every year now.
I've looked at the mystery ranch and my buddy has one in the 6500. It looks awesome. I'm thinking the Kifaru will also be awesome but I don't know anyone that has one and I've never actually touched one so its a little daunting spending dough like that.
I was thinking the kifaru offered the same versatility as MR and I can get my jumbo pack (8200CI) I've always wanted. I've put a few miles on the boots and know what I want based on a fair bit of first hand experience. I would by a McHale but I like to make the mistake of buying something first then think, "damn should have got the 'Machale/swarovski/lica/hanwag/hilleburg/sako/toyota/kawasaki/honda'" LOL thanks for the post Trekker!

harbinger, kifaru makes excellent packs. but have you took a look at what mystery ranch has to offer. the frame system with the all the bags and attachments they have to offer is second to none. if you want to use your pack for everything from day hunts to 10 day + mountain hunts Id go with the MR system.

however the kifaru timberline is an excellent option, my friend has one and loves it. I also tryed it on and liked the feel and layout of the pack, however I couldn't turn down the versatility of the MR.

just my two cents. trekker.

harbinger
02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I was asking him about the spotter pocket they where going to release for the highcamp bag. Is the one your talking about an add on or are they modifiying your timberline bag?

harbinger
02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Man, thanks for taking the time to post those up. Two questions for you
1. when the water goes down there the mainbag doesn't really get to soaked though right? Just the stuff in the pouch? I know you need a cover to be 100% water proof but just curious.
2. When your main bag is full can you still get the spoter in the side pouch? IE is there enough fabric on the pouch flap?
3. What camo pattern is that?

This first pic is with small things in it, it will tighten up some, but still leaks water and such.
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/4F8E309F-AB69-480B-A971-A30E31F9BFC9-12602-0000073697E1C494_zps502d16fe.jpg

This is with larger items, it leaves the pocket open a bit and fills up with crap.
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/E4192321-E44F-4D01-B2DC-493E10C13278-12602-0000073639482ED8_zps89fcb18e.jpg

a simple flap would solve the problem tho, if I would have noticed before I ordered it I would have asked them to add a couple on from the factory, just a thought.
Hope these pics help, cheers!

harbinger
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I don't think I would haul the meat like they suggest. Maybe if it was a short hunt or something but if your out for days I would reload my bag and fill it with the meat. I think I would use the cargo hauler to hold a dry bag full of lighter stuff.

I am in the same boat, going to pull the trigger on the DT1 bag with long hunter lid and 2 small pockets and load shelf between bag and frame. I was leaning to the bikini frame but am worried about the meat pushing between the frame sides and into my back as it is more open than the duplex frame, with the lightweight stays it is only around a 1.5 lb difference for the more robust frame not including the bag lightening tricks highlighted on the rokslide. I would like to see the layout of the new spotter bag if you have it, I am hoping for something like the back pouch but longer with a center divider. A bomber bag at around 7 lbs all up is good for me and dont see the need to chase ounces there, but have some other gear that is going lighter.

kickemall
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
If you go on rokslide.com there are tons of threads on Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs. More importantly, if you go to the video section for packs there are a bunch of videos demo-ing Kifaru. Great place for the info. your looking for and no b.s. Good luck, you'd probably be happy with either.

Dave

Rubberfist
02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I was asking him about the spotter pocket they where going to release for the highcamp bag. Is the one your talking about an add on or are they modifiying your timberline bag?

I was referring to the spotter pocket for the Highcamp.

harbinger
02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks, I had checked tohose out, lots of good stuff at alaskaoutdoors as well.

If you go on rokslide.com there are tons of threads on Kifaru and Mystery Ranch packs. More importantly, if you go to the video section for packs there are a bunch of videos demo-ing Kifaru. Great place for the info. your looking for and no b.s. Good luck, you'd probably be happy with either.

Dave

02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't think I would haul the meat like they suggest. Maybe if it was a short hunt or something but if your out for days I would reload my bag and fill it with the meat. I think I would use the cargo hauler to hold a dry bag full of lighter stuff.

I agree, I will have to wait till I get the pack and play around and go for some loaded walks to see how it works. I am a bit of a everything has a place type of guy and like to know my gear is always in the same place and where I expect it to be if I need it. If it works great, if not I will just kick it old school.

decker9
02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Hey harbinger, no problem at all about the pics, to bad your not a bit closer or I could just lend you my pack for a few days for you to try on and try out, least give you a better look at what your lookin at.
I haven't been actually soaked right down yet with my pack. A few rain drizzles and that's when i noticed my stuff getting damp in those pockets, like my gloves, tp and such. Still haven't had it soak right threw the main bag yet tho.
The pockets are a good size, but to fit a spotter in them, you pretty much have to put your spotter in the side pocket first, cause once the bag is full it makes the side pockets tight, and less room
the colour is multi cam, was already spending so much $$ I figured what's another 10% lol.

If there's anything else I can help or inform you on, just let me know, more then happy to help! Cheers!

goinghunting
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
okay a couple more MR-kifaru comparison questions? Are the kifaru packs made in the USA? What about the material of the bag is it comparable to the MR? the MR bags are super tuff and thats important to me cause I beet my gear up real bad! I've seen say the Kuiu bags and they are light but I'm pretty sure I'd wreck that in one season, so I hope the kifaru bags are heavier duty then that!

Rubberfist
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
okay a couple more MR-kifaru comparison questions? Are the kifaru packs made in the USA? What about the material of the bag is it comparable to the MR? the MR bags are super tuff and thats important to me cause I beet my gear up real bad! I've seen say the Kuiu bags and they are light but I'm pretty sure I'd wreck that in one season, so I hope the kifaru bags are heavier duty then that!

http://www.kifaru.net/

Still made in the USA.

Both Kifaru and MR construct the outer body of their packs from 500 denier cordura. Stays are constructed from aircraft aluminum, however for some bags, Kifaru gives the option of lighter weight composite.

Generally speaking, Kifaru and MR interchangeable in terms of quality and the materials use. They differ in how they are constructed and the manner in which they implement certain things.

You cannot go wrong with either of them, and they are both "the best".

BlacktailStalker
02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Been running kifaru for 6 years now. No issues. Except when you try to dry one off too close to the fire :shock:
However, I am curious about other kinds and want to try them all once to make a final decision.
Wonder if there are ways to get enough guys together with all different packs so people can pick one up and wear it, a group on the Island, group on the mainland etc.

goinghunting
02-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Thats the only thing that sucks about some of these higher end packs, MR, Kifaru and barneys can only try them on if someone you know owns one or your are around were there made! I'm tempted to buy a kifaru just for interests sake? Hard to drop another grand though when I've already got a kickass MR set-up!

Been running kifaru for 6 years now. No issues. Except when you try to dry one off too close to the fire :shock:
However, I am curious about other kinds and want to try them all once to make a final decision.
Wonder if there are ways to get enough guys together with all different packs so people can pick one up and wear it, a group on the Island, group on the mainland etc.

lorneparker1
02-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Thats the only thing that sucks about some of these higher end packs, MR, Kifaru and barneys can only try them on if someone you know owns one or your are around were there made! I'm tempted to buy a kifaru just for interests sake? Hard to drop another grand though when I've already got a kickass MR set-up!

Well one thing you got going for you with kifaru is the re-sale is unreal. If you buy a pack and dont like it but its basically new you can put it for sale for pertty much what you paid for it, and people will buy it up just to avoid the 6-12 week wait for the pack.

Lorne

Rubberfist
02-23-2013, 08:22 AM

In a nutshell, here is what you are getting with a Kifaru over an MR:

1 - lighter weight
- the Kifaru duplex frame with DT1 bag and longhunter lid is 8lbs (7lbs 7oz if you go with composite stays) for 8,200 Ci
- the Nice frame with MR 7500 bag and Nice daypack/top lid is 9lbs 11oz (and note that is for a Nice frame without belt pouches or flip-top camera box) for $8,400 Ci
- the Kifaru bikini frame with DT1 bag and longhunter lid is 5lbs 16oz for $8,200 Ci

2 - load lifters: on either the Kifaru duplex or bikini frame the load lifter stays go higher than on the MR. This allows you pull a heavy load tighter to your upper back.

3 - waist belt: when you order a Kifaru, you supply your height, weight, waist size, inseem, and indicate whether you have a "flat" back or a "normal" back. The result is a waist belt that *should* have a better fit and will cup your waist and pelvis, ensuring that the appropriate proportion of the weight of the load is properly transferred to your hips.

4 - customizeability: Kifaru has a few more options in terms of configurable/attachable pockets, sleeves, etc... Things like the Grab-It, three sizes of belt pouches, the Gun-Bearer offer some unique angles on developing a pack for your needs.

Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from MR as I've been using a 7500 for a few years now and I recommend it to anyone looking for a pack that will literally last them the rest of their lives. At this point, I am trying to reduce my load weight without compromising durability. Kinda like Coke or Pepsi...