PDA

View Full Version : Lowa Hunters and Kelty Cache hauler

hookedonblacktails
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Does anyone have Lowa Hunter gtx boots, have they held up ok, are they fairly waterproof, or am I better off spending a little more on something else, I tried them on and they feel good.

And has anyone used the Kelty cache hauler. I don't need anything super heavy duty that would be used on backpacking trips, just something for day trips or packing quarters back to the truck. It seems to be what I'm looking for but I'm not sold on those pins that hold the shoulder straps to the frame and I'm hoping that someone has spent some time with one with moderate loads. I can't find a load rating for that pack.

thanks for any help

KB90
02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I have the Lowas, couple sheep hunts and 3 years of hunting, still going strong. Very Waterproof, no wet feet unless you walk in water that's to deep and comes over the top. I have been very happy with mine.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/527001_10151054448332088_3574680_n.jpg

tuner
02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
i have the kellty c. hauler it's very comfortable to wear. removing the bag from external frame is a cinch and can be worn seperately.the external frame is fairly well built and the straps to secure loads are resaonably strong as well, the built in rain cover is also a nice feature. i bought extra pins and rings for piece of mind even though they provided a few extras with the pack.it is a fairly small pack at only 3500 c.i. but it has served me well for up to 3 days.[haven't had to pack anything out with it unfortenatly]one thing i dislike about the pack is that it's very narrow at the bottom so if you're packing a fair amount of gear it all seems to be at the top of the pack making it top heavy.{i'm pretty short so it might have more to do with me than the pack}i bought the frame from wholesale sports and got the pack from online site in the u.s.

Duk Dog
02-18-2013, 07:08 AM
Can't comment specifically on the Lowa Hunters, but can on the Lowa Tibets. Been wearing them for a number of years now and have been real happy with them. Opted for the Tibets as they are non-insulated (versus the Hunters that are insulated), my feet are always quite warm so an insulated boot doesn't work for me personally.

sheephunterab
02-19-2013, 09:29 AM
I picked up a set of Hunters last year and wore them on several late-season sheep hunting adventures last year plus cat hunting this year and they are awesome! I wear Tibet GTX early season and the Hunter late season. Can't see me wearing any other boot but Lowa...they fit my feet perfectly right out of the box.

Rackmastr
02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
I've worn both the Tibet GTX and the 'older' version of the Hunter Extreme GTX as they used to be called the "Sheephunter". Both boots have been amazing for me and have had ZERO issues with them (other than self inflicted damage, wear and tear, etc). They fit perfectly out of the box and I climbed a mountain the first day I owned them with comfy feet.

My main reason for switching was the 'wide' sizing they offer. I'm glad I switched. Great boots and they fit my wide feet better than any other mountain boot out there.

2tins
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a pair of Tibet GTX's and they are awesome. Been wearing them for 3 years with no issues and little or no break-in. As far as packs go, look into the Mystery Ranch Nice Frame and the Load Hauler attachment. Good luck.

hookedonblacktails
02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys good info there, will be going with the lowas as a store in town is clearing them out for 300$!!!

mike-juliet
03-04-2013, 08:27 AM
I have a pair of Tibet Pros as well as Hunter GTX, both boots have been great and I love the added height and insulation of the Lowa. The problem I have with both of them is I have a narrow foot, even after replacing the insole and doubling up the socks I cannot avoid heel slip and blisters. Both are also gore-tex so if they leak they are garunteed for life. I will be replacing my Lowas for Kennetreks as they produce a narrow width.

As for the Kelty I have no comments, however I have been using an Eberlestock Just One for the past year and I love this pack, I can go into more detail if you like but simply put, I have nothing but good things to say, every feature of the pack has worked flawlessly and if I had the opportunity to change it I would leave it totally as is.

2tins
03-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I use the Lowa Tibet Pro GTX and they are a shorter version of the Hunter. They are super comfortable and waterproof. I've been wearing mine for 3 years and will likely get at least another 3 out of them. For what it's worth I recommend the the Lowas. I can't speak about the pack but I sure like my Mystery Ranch pack. Good luck, 2tins.

Westslope
03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I have Lowas and they are probably the best boots I have ever owned and I don't cheap out on boots! I find them to stick like glue to wet rocks and dead fall. You can expect to get a good amount of use out of them. I will replace them with more Lowas once I wear the current pair out.

Brew
03-04-2013, 09:18 AM
I have the lowa hunter gtx and they are by far the best boot i have owned.

Gilmore
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I've had 2 pairs of Lowa Hunters and when the time comes wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair, great boots.

2tins
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys good info there, will be going with the lowas as a store in town is clearing them out for 300$!!!

What's the name of the shop if you don't mind sharing intel. That is a killer deal if they are getting rid of Lowa Hunters for that price.

hookedonblacktails
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
They were at wss, but I think the sale is over now, March 1st it ended. Yup those were a great buy, regular 460$ then 30% off. They had quite a few boots on sale this last couple months.