PDA

View Full Version : Bow decision

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Upgrading my bow this year. Had a hoyt for 10 years now and love it but for a couple reasons am going to a shorter axle to axle and told myself after I killed a big book bear I would 'treat myself.' So I am now :)
Who's shooting the carbon element ? I have been reading a bit and some say the spyder is the same minus the $400 carbon riser. I see the differences between the '12-'13 models, is it worth it or am I further ahead trying to source a deal on a '12... kinda thinking I am but not sure where i would find it ?
Basically I am curious to hear what I should consider in the Hoyt line up and any other top of the line set up by anyone who is knowledgeable on the new bows and has been using one first hand.
I have been out of the loop on this stuff for a while, so much appreciated. Looking forward to setting up a range on my property and having some fun with a new set up :cool:

Also, these single pin sights, with the range dials, are these the new thing ? Or are the spott hoggs multi pin sights the way to go ? (used copper john before with a ripcord drop away)
What about rests ?
I know there are some hardcores here, Thanks !

fozzy
02-17-2013, 01:25 AM
I have a 2012 Element, I love how it shoots and how warm it feels in the hand on a cold day, it's deadly smooth after the shot... If you were looking to find a used one you might try archerytalk or bowzone. There is one for sale on archerytalk right now for 850..

I recently picked up an APA and like the fact that they are made in Canada and it shoots very good. I took it to the Vegas shoot within three weeks of owning it.
I have QAD Ultra HDX rests on both my Element and APA Mamba. I don't think you can go wrong with a Spott Hogg sight.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Wild one
02-17-2013, 06:49 AM
I have not shot the carbon element so I can't really say much about it. My advise is to test one out before you buy if possible because in my opinion with bows it is all about how it feels in your hands. For compound I own an apa m7 and like it.

For sights I am a fan of the viper brand (not cobras they are crap)in my opinion they are just as durable as spott hoggs with a lower price tag. Out of the sights I have tried vipers and spott hoggs are the only 2 I like. As for single pin in my opinion if you still hunt you won't like them because animals don't give you the time to screw with adjustments. I prefer multi pin because it is better for opportunities where you need to make a fast shot.

For a rest check out the trophy taker smackdown I am very happy with mine

I am very rough on my gear so I have went for reliable and effective when setting up my bows. I have broken and abused a lot of gear to find what I like over the last 19 years.

BlacktailStalker
02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
I keep hearing about APA, I have to look into these. I am in no hurry...
ok good that rules out the single pin sight, thanks.
I also looked at the viper sights and have them bookmarked they seemed very similar and better in some ways, sounds like that might be the way to go when I finally pull the card out on the bow. Kinda hesitant on buying used anything, but ill take a look at those sights. All useful stuff thanks very much. Any other input is good input.

StoneChaser
02-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Picked up a Carbon Element RKT a few weeks back and quite like it. VERY quiet, great shooting, and shoots well above IBO speeds. The
main reasons I wanted one was for its ruggedness and the warmth it offers my hands on cold hunting trips. Shooting it barehanded on -15C is no problem.

I like the Black Gold Ascent sight with 4 pins. Run a 20,30,40,50 fixed and then dial after that using the bottom pin.

Favorite rest is the the QAD HDX and I like the Tight Spot quiver also.

Blockcaver
02-17-2013, 09:54 AM
I have a 2011 Carbon Element, 62# and 29" draw. I like it a lot.......quiet, light, warm to the touch, minimal hand shock, accurate, etc. The 2011 model has a cam that had a very short valley which is easily correctable (PM me if you need information). The 2012 cam has a better valley per user reports (no info on the 2013 version). I use a Montana Black Gold "Rush" multi-pin sight, Ripcord rest and TightSpot bow quiver. Not looking to change anything anytime soon.

2tins
02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I just bought the Bowtech Invasion. I've been out twice and I love how it shoots. 62.3 lb @ 29 inch draw. Very, very smooth, super quiet. I have a TruGlow Micro Bright and a QAD Ultra Rest HD drop away. I did have the Code Red Rip Cord but got rid of it for the Ultra Rest. Why you ask? I prefer the drop away to stay up when I let down my bow so the arrow stays in place and the Rip Cord doesn't. They are both awesome rests but I went with the Ultra. Try shoot some different set ups before you make your final decision. Good luck.

Dirty
02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I'd own a PSE simply because of the simple draw length adjustability and speed. They are great bows and smooth shooting, and not too badly priced. The new PSE Evo max is fantastic very smooth and quiet. Any PSE with an EVO cam is going to be a smooth and fast hunting bow.

I would also suggest buying from south of the border. The price of archery equipment in Canada is utterly disgusting for the most part. It is pathetic when shops cannot buy directly from manufacturers and have to go through middle man distributors. The only people that suffer are the end users that pay more. I really think that it is hindering the growth of archery in Canada. I would love to buy from a local shop if they had fair prices, but they don't.

Superdeuce
02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a 2012 Element, I love how it shoots and how warm it feels in the hand on a cold day

+1 on that. not a deciding factor, but a nice bonus for the carbon.

I tried the Element and settled on the Matrix With a 30" dl, I could not get along with the shorter Axle length. I could not get a natural anchor with the string at such a sharp angle causing me to break form and lean my head forward to touch my nose. Heck, 35" is plenty short already.

Another vote for the QAD Ultra HDX but Ripcord might be as good...have not had one but hear good things.

I like the singe pins, prefer my HHA slider over having a wheel hanging off it. One thing to note with the sliders and wheels is that if you sight mount a quiver, it will force you to use extended screws and have it hanging too far out from the bow for my liking. I went with the 4 arrow Hoyt 2 piece which eliminated this and you can set it very tight. Riser mount might work too. I think Black Gold and Tightspot are manufactured out of the same plant and designed for compatability if you go that route.

If buying used, I would look at something with a lifetime transferrable warranty such as Elite who make a great bow. Can't say the Matrix is any smoother than the Elite Pure I sold to get it.. Their Answer model would offer a nice compromise on Axle length at 33.5

Good luck.

Friday_30-06
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
I have the single pin sight and I really like it! Its nice not having all the other pins interfering with your view. When I am out hunting I just set it on a yardage that seems practical, in dense timber I may set it to 20 yards and 40 for more wide open areas. When I range the buck its easy if he's 25 yards out and I know I'm set on 20 then aim a touch high and so on. Just my 2 cents though and I am by no means a professional.
One other thing that I like about it is you have from 10 - 70 yard range with 5 yard increments. If you range 55 yards you can set it for 55 yards not use a 60 yard pin and aim low. Again though just my 2 cents.

Riverbc
02-17-2013, 02:45 PM
some good deals here. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Hillbros_96
02-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I use single pin and would never go back. With that said, you need to have a fast bow to make them practical. I leave mine set at 35 yards, and I am good from 10 yards to 40 yards without having to adjust. Usually have enough time after 40 yards to set the sight to where I need it to be without difficulty. I have also have had time at 12 yard's to set it properly as well. It really depends on the situations. I have been close enough twice now in my bow hunting career to actually touch the animal with my arrow still in the bow. Of course with them being that close, I was unable to draw. I use the ripcord rest as it was the only one that dropped quick enough for my arrows that the dealer stocked. It has not let me down. I do not use the longer spacer for my quiver, but instead I hang my quiver upside down. It works well for me and my set up, but I always remove it unless I am walking, if I am sitting it is off.

Hillbros_96
02-17-2013, 07:23 PM
I keep hearing about APA, I have to look into these. I am in no hurry...
ok good that rules out the single pin sight, thanks.
I also looked at the viper sights and have them bookmarked they seemed very similar and better in some ways, sounds like that might be the way to go when I finally pull the card out on the bow. Kinda hesitant on buying used anything, but ill take a look at those sights. All useful stuff thanks very much. Any other input is good input. The APA is a good bow, and Canadian made to boot. My only issue with them is they are to gimmicky for my tastes.

BlacktailStalker
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Can I hear your guys opinions on the shorter Axle to axle bows and pros/cons ?
I have been reading more, I'm 6'3, maybe this isn't a good idea ? I was liking the idea of having a smaller bow for packing around more often but other than that have no REAL reason to go shorter than standard.

Ambush
02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Short axle, today, means 28" -30". You will not be handi-capped at all by a 30" - 34" bow.

As for sights .Hunters that use Spot Hogg sights seldom switch to something else.

Rest. Rip Cord Code Red

Osprey
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
I shoot a Matthews MR7. 67lbs at a 28" draw. It's 33.5" ATA. I'm 6'1". I wouldn't recommend going to shorter axle to axle bow because it's easier to not be level. A longer ATA bow say around 33"+ for a guy your size would be more appropriate. Certainly it's all personal preference, but that's why I've been told to go to a longer ATA bow and the reason I did. I love my Matthews. I shoot it very accurately out to 80 yards. It's super fast. I've played with a lot of bows recently. If I was looking for a hunting bow. I would get either a Matthews Monster or Hoyt CRX35. And like others have mentioned, buy off of Archerytalk.com. I have purchased all of my bows off the website. Just check the feedback on the seller prior to ordering. I also reccomend a fix pin five pin sight. A single pin or movable sight is nice. But there is always those moments when your caught off gaurd and don't have time to change the sight to adjust. With a fixed pin sight you know what yardages are where. You simply point line up and hammer'em. For me anyways its faster to line up a sight with a multi pin sight than a single pin sight cause the quick aiming takes a little longer to line up. But I'm sure it's just something you gotta get used to.

fozzy
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
For a hunting set up the Matrix with it's longer ATA and warmth in hand, QAD HDX rest (stays up when you let down, full capture of the arrow) and yes they drop away quick enough, tightSpot bow quiver as mentioned and a quality fixed 5 pin sight wouldnt let you down.
The Element is short but not out of the question either. I'm over 6' and shoot mine just fine

knockturnal
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
The wife shoots an element and I shoot the matrix. Both are set up with code reds and both have killed. If you are ever around kelowna, you can come shoot mine. It's a 2012 with 30"draw. Hunting in the cold this year was actually pleasant. I shoot the trophy ridge crazy 8 sight. I like vertical pins so that's why I went that way. I find with the faster bows, your pins are close together and if you are using a 7pin version from spot Hogg, it blocks the view of the animal and anything else to the right. Just my 2 pennies

Bowzone_Mikey
02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
are you married to Hoyt ... I prefer the Spyder over the Carbon
If you are not married to Hoyt I would look at an Elite Answer, or Mathews Helium as well

I hunt with an HHA sight ... IMHO its the best single pin sight out there unless you get into the Target style sights

for a hunting rest ... Code reds are by far my Fav.

BlacktailStalker
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Good feedback, thank you.
I am pretty sure I am sticking to a multi pin site.
No not married to hoyt lol I live on central V.I so there isn't much to view let alone try, so it's tough.... Thanks for that offer Knockturnal, I will think of that if I am off the Island and haven't purchased.
I just checked out the code red, I see there is another model as well, ripcord SOS.

I will have my mind made up on all the accessories before I get home, then just the bow to figure out. My old peep had the rubber band attached to it, what are the best peeps without the rubber (or is there something else as well newer/better than this ?)

Guess i just have to figure out what is new for quivers and stabilizers

Ambush
02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty much a dedicated Mathews man, so I 'll just quit there as far as bow brands.

For hunting, I'm not sure you can beat a Tite Spot quiver. Very well balanced and the arrow holder is adjustable for diameter. Important for small diameter shafts.
The Fuse Blade is a great stabilizer for hunting in windy conditions and has the length without being heavy. May be too long for the Island jungles.

Peep sight. G5 Meta peep ,very likely in the 1/4" size.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
the G5 is great ... I personally like the Specialty Archery Peep ... interchangable aperatures ... 1/4" is pretty big.

as far as Stabs go ... they are pretty much there for balance nowadays .. not so much for Vibe absorb anymore with these new bows. That said I hunt with Stokerized Stabs.

Quivers.. Bow mounted?? tough to beat alot of them out there Octane, Fuse, Tightspot if you get one that attaches to your bow make certain it has the proper mounting brackets ... for instance Hoyts have a triangle pattern where the quiver mounts ... Bowtechs have an Octagon ... quivers typically come with one or the other .. hardly ever both ... or there are ones that screw onto your sight mount block as well like Kwickee or Alpine brands
I currently have a an Alpine sof-loc as my old Octane didnt have the correct mounting hardware for my Elite brand bow (it was on my Bowtech product before I sold it)

Downwind
02-18-2013, 10:17 PM
I took a risk ordering a bow from a newer company after last season and I have to say it is nicest bow I shot. I tried a lot before I ordered this one on a bit a gamble but it was a great choice. I ordered an Obsession Lethal Force. Sweet bow and not as expensive as a lot out there. Only con is there are no dealers anywhere around here so you have to order online. This review pretty much sealed the deal for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BN1JyoG8p4

afflicted 1
02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
bought a 2012 vector 32 and tryied everything I could to yoak tune, creep tune, tried about 8 different arrow combos and it wouldnt paper tune, chalked it up to an unforgiving roller gaurd. bought a g5 prime centroid and threw an arrow on it and bullet holes. far more accurate bow. if your 6,3 look at the new impact. jmo