PDA

View Full Version : Bird taxidermy questions

russm
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I was just wondering if there's very many people who get birds stuffed and mounted. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of birds done and was curious about prices and about how long they take to get back. Thanks, some pics would be nice to see what sort of work people have had done.

Karl
02-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Hey. There is a few people out there who get birds stuffed. I know a guy who does it he does unbelievable work and it is truly amazing what the finished product comes out as. Here is his website to check out. Birdtaxidermist.com.

Gunner
02-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Birds are more difficult to work with than game animals,ducks and geese have to have the skin degreased and grouse have very thin skins.Some taxidermists won't handle birds at all.That being said I have always used Frank Gilbert at Fur & Feathers.I've never been dissapointed with Frank's work.I suggest you visit the different taxidermists places of work.Most of them wil showrooms so you can get an idea of the kind of work they do. Gunner

just hunt
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
I would recommend having glass put around your bird mount
its really hard to keep the dust off and hard to clean.
Just my opinon thou!

jimh
02-17-2013, 01:01 AM
My vote would be for Glen Browning at Birdtaxidermist.com He has done several for me including the redtail hawk and the barred owl pictured on his website. Does an awesome job. Jim

bccanadian
02-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Birds are more difficult to work with than game animals,ducks and geese have to have the skin degreased and grouse have very thin skins.Some taxidermists won't handle birds at all.That being said I have always used Frank Gilbert at Fur & Feathers.I've never been dissapointed with Frank's work.I suggest you visit the different taxidermists places of work. Most of them will have showrooms so you can get an idea of the kind of work they do. Gunner

There I fixed it for you...lol

Another place to check out is Steve Kulash Taxidermy LTD. I went to school with junior and he brought an owl in a case to class once. It was done by Steve senior. It was well done.

Although you will be dealing with one or more of the sons since senior couldn't get out of his house when it went up in flames. This was in 2011 or 2012.

ufishifish2
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Great timing for this thread. I've got a Great Horned Owl sitting in my freezer (awaiting the legal paperwork) and I wasn't sure who to contact to get it worked on!
Anybody know of any taxi's that do good work on birds in the Okanagan??

warnniklz
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I would recommend having glass put around your bird mount
its really hard to keep the dust off and hard to clean.
Just my opinon thou!

And kids like to pull the horns out of great horned owls... I use to be one of them

eastkoot
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I "KNEW" a guy in Cranbrook, best work you will find, but I believe his shop and house were lost in a fire..
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/DSCN0196_zps95e4bb96.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/DSCN0197_zpsd0312c93.jpg

goatdancer
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Great timing for this thread. I've got a Great Horned Owl sitting in my freezer (awaiting the legal paperwork) and I wasn't sure who to contact to get it worked on!
Anybody know of any taxi's that do good work on birds in the Okanagan??

Harley White in West Kelowna. He did my Great Grey and Osprey. Nothing comes cheap though. The Osprey was $750 three or four years ago.