PDA

View Full Version : KUIU Gaiters

GoodPartner
02-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Looking for some opinions on KUIU gaiters. Pros/Cons , Does it matter? Focused on hunting in very wet, thick, swampy, coastal terrain.

Spokerider
02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Even the XL size won't comfortably fit an 18" calf, and with pack boots and 2 layers of pants, there is not a hope of getting the velcro strips together.
Other than that, they seem to be well made and light weight. Just wished that they made an "expedition" size top end like OR Crocks.

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Look at the Outdoor research expedition gators, lifetime warranty and they are solid.
I've wrecked, sitka, rivers west ones and these are on their third winter for me now with over 100 uses.

MtnBoy
02-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I get one season out of them (same with OR Crocs). On my third pair. Had the bottom strap fail on 2 occasions and a metal buckle snap. I attribute this to the rocky terrain where I hike though. I send them back and they send me a new pair every time. Last year I walked up a creek and did 8 crossings where the water was 14 inches deep and these kept me dry. These are a great gaitor for the money.

Buck
02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I have found that gators made of Event breathe really well and i get no wetness on my legs.I'm using Rab latok alpines they are well made but little low on the calf next time i want something just below the knee.

StoneChaser
02-16-2013, 06:34 PM
They are an excellent gaitor. I used a pair last year and was happy with them. They breathed well and were quite durable (Not a super silent gaitor though). I'd buy another pair.

.300WSMImpact!
02-17-2013, 09:46 AM
just bought a pair of kuiu gators and the one thing I noticed is they make a lot of noise, I havent been on any big hunting trips yet maybe they will break in and make less noise

Trekker
02-17-2013, 10:01 AM
They look good, but you cant beat the OR Croc. Like BTS said, when they do eventually fail, send them in for a new pair.

Krico
02-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Another vote for outdoor research. I have had their "croc" model for like 10 years and they've stood up awesome, still like new. They have been on lots of mountain hunts, including a fair bit of crampon use. They came in camo too which was not needed, but a nice bonus.

ufishifish2
02-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I just tried out a new pair of the KUIU gators this week for work while snowshoeing. They worked well but I had a heck of a time getting the velcro to close over my winter boots. So far they appear to be durable but only time will tell.

The Hermit
02-23-2013, 12:40 PM
My Kuiu gators worked well the one time I've used them so far. As other have said they are tight and I'm not 100% confident on the plastic strap, time will tell.

Drillbit
12-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Where's the best spot to buy the OR Crocs right now? Seem to be around 105 shipped online but would like to pick some up firsthand. Anywhere in the Okanagan up to PG to Edmonton will be on my way

SR80
12-05-2013, 09:39 AM
wholesale carries the OR ones, super noisey though. Im on the list for solid kuiu gaters

Drillbit
12-05-2013, 04:12 PM
OK thanks. I'll check them all out. I have OR ones now and like them, but I'll look at them all!

lovemywinchester
12-05-2013, 04:55 PM
One thing to watch for when buying gaiters is the sizing. I bought my first set last year specificly for snow hunting and snowshoeing. I picked up extra large to avoid the problems stated above. I wear mine over Kamik boots and snow pants so its a chore getting them on so I figured the extra size would help. What I didnt account for was that the extra size equals extra length on the boot top portion. This made the lace hook too far forward. I am a size ten boot and the laces on the winter boots are shorter down the boot top as it is. They still work but will slid around my foot after a few k.

ftrain
12-05-2013, 05:01 PM
For hunting I have been very happy with my kennetrek gaitors, they are very quiet