PDA

View Full Version : 30 06 vs 300 mag...

doddatto
02-15-2013, 10:38 AM
So im stuck and im getting super excited to receive my pal i sent in dec 26(bad timing i know) im still waiting to do my over the phone interview. I would like the advice of anyone with knowledge with these two guns. im new so the straighter the shot the better, i hear alot of good things about both, but i hear 30 06 has more of a lob shot. Iv been doing my research of everything, been reading like NUTs about hunting im super excited, and hoping i can get out for bear season. i also hear 300 can be too powerful (over kill) for big game, i want to be able to get the most meat out of the animal that i can get.

Im first buys is going to be at Poco gun shop, decent prices, im going to buy a 22. 12G tactical 30 06 or 300 Please help i dont want to have to buy both lol. And if anyone in the LOWER MAINLAND has used guns they would like to sell. hit me up this talk.....

Thanks guys. Good to be back on here as i was busy lunchin my new hardscaping Company..

David Doddatto
AKA Darvie :):)

BiG Boar
02-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Between the 2 I picked 300WM as my first gun.

Both are great choices. Depends on previous rifle experience.

If you have 100 plus hunting rifle shots at a target 270 or bigger and can shoot good, get the 300wm. It's a more versatile cartridge than the 06.

However if you haven't shot more than 100 (large rifle) shots down range I would get the 06.

What you want to be able to do is shoot accurately. If you get the 300 and get scared of the recoil, and develops a flinch, which I have seen 6'4 guys 260lb do, accuracy goes out the window.

Buy used, PM me for where to look, you will save hundreds of dollars.

Citori54
02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
For a new shooter I would strongly advise the 30-06. The worst thing for a new shooter is to develop a flinch. The 30-06 is a fine caliber and one of the most versatile out there, and has the advantage that it has relatively mild recoil. It is also less expensive for ammunition, and uses far less powder if you get into re-loading. Just my two cents.

Gateholio
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
7-08 or 308

Pioneerman
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Both are .30 caliber, both throw the same bullets, but the 300 wm will do it faster and flatter. You can load the 300 down to the speeds of the 06, but why ? You can not get the 06 to the same heights as the 300 can attain. If you can not shoot it because of recoil then it doesn't matter you shoot. There is no such thing as too dead so how can you over kill ? A bullet going faster does not matter as much as the construction of the bullet for meat damage

Night Hawk 3
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd suggest that you go with one of the smaller calibers and focus in on your shooting skills first and foremost. You do not need a magnum to kill things effectively, a well-placed shot does that. Most hunting kill shots are well inside of 100 yards, with longer range shots than that being very much in the minority.

As Gatehouse has suggested: 7-08, .308 and I'd add a few to that list: 6.5x55, .260 Rem. The .308 is going to be easy and inexpensive to buy ammo for, the others you'll have to go to a gun shop to get ammo for as they are a little less common.

Consider the .300 Win Mag when you want to really reach out and touch something at much longer ranges, and have the time/skill under you belt to do that properly.

NH3

fireguy
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
300 win mag

I bought my first one when I was only 15 years old. I still hunt with it to this day. As far as what you can hunt with it, the options in B.C. are endless. I also own a couple 06's but they don't get the use that my 300's do.

Both will do the job, my personal preference is the 300 though but I hunt places at times where a 300 yard shot is a short one and I know it is just a chip shot with what I am carrying. I have taken everything from grouse to grizzly bears with it and most things in between.

BearStump
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
300 wm or 7mm best all around do it all rifle if you're only gonna buy one. I shoot a 300 wsm and love it.

300winmaster
02-15-2013, 02:59 PM
30 cal is a 30 cal is a 30 cal. Despite shooting flatter then a 308 and having a flatter trajectory with more recoil, a 300 wm will extend the maximum range at witch the minimum amount of energy necessary to kill an animal can be delivered. If you need to shoot animals 5,6,700 meter away, 300wm is great. If not then get a 308, most animals are taken insided 200 meters. I think 30-06 can have a little to much recoil for new shooters as well.

brian
02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
For a new shooter I would strongly advise the 30-06.
Ditto to this and Gates and Nighthawks advice. With the 300 win mag you will spend more on ammo and it'll punch you a lot more than 30-06 for very little gain. For realistic hunting performance you won't see much difference at the ranges where a new shooter/ hunter will be shooting for. Depending on load/bullet the 30-06 drops about an extra inch @ 300 yards under what the 300 win mag will do and roughly 4 inches below the win mags bullet @ 400 yards. I wouldn't really call that a lob when you compare performance. As a new shooter I would strongly recommend that you look into some of the lighter but equally deadly cartridges that others have recommended here. Make no doubt about it, it is harder to shoot with heavy recoil... especially for beginners.

Consider the .300 Win Mag when you want to really reach out and touch something at much longer ranges, and have the time/skill under you belt to do that properly.
Listen to this advice, you won't regret it.

BCBRAD
02-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Old/Experienced shooters want to use the 30-06 and new shooters should use the 30-06. I use a 30-06 most of the time now for field use. Can you hold, in field conditions, to 4" at 400yds......................ya I thought so.

doddatto
02-15-2013, 04:25 PM
yea i was dead set to the 30 06. I have shot it before and it was nice and comfortable. i planing on going shooting when i get it, before i do any hunting. Im not to worried about it, i just didnt want to buy a gun that i wouldn't be to control it and be stuck with it, cuz of crappy re sale`s. When does the bullet start to drop at.100 feet, it drops an 1inc? i just wana know for when i go target practice i can have an idea. iv shot 22s as well lol i know laugh its ok. it was simple and easy, i think im going to go to dvc and shoot off a couple rounds from .300 see how it feels its the only way ill know. thanks everyone :)

seymourpats1
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I once thought I needed a more powerful rifle, to replace my 3006. I picked up a 308 Norma mag, fairly compare able to 300 wm.I sold my 3006. The new rifle was a pretty good shooter,but just a bit more kick. I never shot it as well. I replaced it with a 270 that I love shooting and shoot well, I use it for bear moose and lots a deer. So my two bits is you don't need a big magnum, go with the 3006

E.V.B.H.
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
30-06 is much cheaper to shoot, which means you can practise more so you will probably shoot it better than a magnum. Also remember bullet drop can change a lot between different weights and powders. Have to shoot lots to really learn what your gun does at different ranges.

Citori54
02-15-2013, 06:10 PM
My initial response was directed at Dave's question: 30-06 vs 300WM. As he didn't ask about other calibers I confined my opinion to the choice between those two. Now if it is open to all calibers the discussion could go on forever, but I would tend to agree with Gatehouse, a .308 or 7-08 may be best for a new shooter.

Agent Orange
02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath for the over the phone interview unless you applied for the r-pal. I didn't get the call, it just showed up in the mail one day. I'd go with the 300 win mag because it hits harder and flies flatter. Good luck

keoke
02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
I went with the 30/06. With a recoil pad I am good for a box of bullets before my shoulder gets sore. I shot my friends 300 win mag, same rifle and recoil pad, I get through 5 shots. If you want to be the most capable with your rifle get one you can shoot lots. I also find the win mag gives me really fuzzy vision for 5-8 seconds after the shot, but that might just be me.

The Dude
02-15-2013, 06:15 PM
For a new shooter? a .270 Kills stuff dead.
And what's with the "Tactical Shotgun" thing?
Been watching too much Dog the Bounty Hunter? ;-)

dragonslayer
02-15-2013, 06:49 PM
If you like a real good out right rifle for shooting just about anything in North America a 270 or a 30-06 will fit the bill and will not be any kind of a problem with excessive recoil, you can always work your way up to big magnums when the fancy suits you. I have all the big mags and my favorite is still the 270 win, accurate and fun to shoot, and I also have taken the biggest of animals with it, no problem, its all about bullet placement, and to be honest they all knock them down, it is what your more confident with, the less recoil the less pain, but seriously if one see's something to shot do you ever feel recoil? just saying.

John

aggiehunter
02-15-2013, 10:38 PM
you cant go wrong with the 7mm stw...why shoot the same cal. as everybody else...

ROM
02-15-2013, 11:07 PM
for a new shooter, the 30-06. for a seasoned shooter MAYBE something else. My first was a 308 and I learned a ton. It was perfect. Until the recoil issue is put to bed a 300 mag can be a bit much. The 3006 will cleanly harvest moose and elk to 300 yards. On another note i don't agree with the concept of too much gun. I've seen antelope taken with a 300 Weatherby and it worked perfect BUT the shooter had been hunting for 40 years and by the way his first gun was a 308.

I know a hunter that started with a 7mm and it was way too much for him (all 200 lbs of him). He has had a flinch ever since. Another hunter I know started with a 3006 2 years ago and liked it so much he has bought another. He has shot moose and deer left right and centre and is loving it. What a great start to a hunting career.

Gateholio
02-15-2013, 11:10 PM
you cant go wrong with the 7mm stw...why shoot the same cal. as everybody else...

Why bother with the STW when you can do the same with a 7RM? Many more rifle choices (is anyone even chambering a 7STW anymore??) way more ammo selection, much more available brass if you are a handloader.

r106
02-15-2013, 11:47 PM
For a new shooter I would look at 3 things. 1 - low recoil. 2 - ammo availability. 3- ammo cost. I would stay away from the magnums until you learn to shoot and handle recoil. My suggestions would be 270, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06

lineofsight
02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
^
|
|
Agreed

With a .308 can put any number of rounds down range, not an issue. Have a .300WSM (find its more of a push than a punch compared to a 300WM in the same rifle) and 20 rounds leaves me wondering whether will have a bruise the next day. I like how the .300WSM shoots but is not a rifle would take to the range to enjoy a day of shooting and hence if had to get good at shot placement then would not be the right rifle. Practice field shooting positions, there may not be a concrete bench within 200 yards of a bear.

604redneck
02-16-2013, 12:54 AM
First gun go with a 270 or .308

deer nut
02-16-2013, 03:17 AM
My older 30-06 has way more felt recoil than my new 300 win mag. Those high-tech recoil pads really help!

doddatto
02-16-2013, 08:41 AM
For a new shooter? a .270 Kills stuff dead.
And what's with the "Tactical Shotgun" thing?
Been watching too much Dog the Bounty Hunter? ;-)
Its more for protection if a bear charges at me, idk if i need it im a noob i just want to hunt safe :)

doddatto
02-16-2013, 08:48 AM
yea i think it was shooter that pm saying he had a 7mm-08 im thinking about it, ill do a tad more research, im just iffy ( NO OFFENSE) about online buys i would rather avoid it but its a good deal i think but what do i know LOL. 650, with redfeild scope. im just so excited to go out and go for a nice climb scout and practice shooting

doddatto
02-16-2013, 08:55 AM
U know u guys are good guys thanks for all the advice, beers on me if u come to poco, and a nice hot stew!!! :) no joke :) ur advice has or will save me lots of money :) :)

doddatto
02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Has any one done any bear hunting up by steelhead by stave falls if u google it and look to the montains to ur east this is where im thinking about going, one because its close , two lots of loging roads, 3 lots of clearings, and 4 im just super excited to go hunting i wouldnt be able to sit in a truck for a day. id be like a kid with adhd on a bad sugar trip LOL

Dukeoflawnchair
02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Hey there doddatto!

Add my vote to the 30.06, or even the .308win (same bullet, similar ballistics in factory ammo, and less powder burning = less mass in hot gas pushing back).

First of all, if you're on a budget, I'd humbly suggest investing more in glass than the more expensive ammo option. Scope clarity or light transmission (and even once, confidence in it keeping straight) has restricted my hunting opportunity far more than cartridge ballistics.

To be brutally honest, even though the 300wm has the "coolness" factor, in real practical terms, my findings are that the blatant majority of 300wm owners don't actually use it to its capacity. If I were starting out, I'd rather see the extra money go to more ammo.

Count me for example. I've made clean kills with .300wm, 300wsm, 30.06, .338wm, and .375h&H, but never once at a range where I couldn't have without the 30.06.

Yes, I can bench a rifle, calculate drop, and make holes in paper really well really far away. As a hunter, however, caked in mud, leaning against a tree early morning, late at night, in the rain or in -30c, shaking with excitement for finding the one that I want to shoot, making estimated guesses for how far away the animal is, etc...you really have to learn what your ethical shooting range is as applied to your situation. I don't care how many times you've shot while benched at the range -> you NEED to develop your practical shootings skills before hand - lying down, sitting, leaning, etc.

The 30.06, with proper loads and a well constructed bullet, has the energy at 500yards to flop over a deer or black bear with proper shot placement. Last part there is the part that counts.

Something else to consider. Even if you have a clean shot at 300 yards, where nobody would argue as outside the range of a 30.06, a follow up shot is that much harder. In the case that, heaven forbid, you gut shoot an animal, how comfortable are you with your tracking skills? 300 yards away gives the animal a lot of direction to go where you won't be able to see. "That Tree" that you used as a reference point for finding the blood trail sure looks similar to every other tree 300 yards closer (and I'm a registered professional forester with extensive tree mensuration and surveying experience)

I apologise if I'm coming off harsh or as a hunting ethics snob. I just hear way too many stories from newer hunters who took their big magnums, haven't practiced shooting as much as they should have, and "missed" when they took a shot they clearly shouldn't have. Keep in mind that if you're aiming for something the size of a baskeball and miss, then unless you majorly flinched, chances are you're hitting something bull sized where it ran off to bleed.

BCBRAD
02-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey there doddatto!

Add my vote to the 30.06, or even the .308win (same bullet, similar ballistics in factory ammo, and less powder burning = less mass in hot gas pushing back).

First of all, if you're on a budget, I'd humbly suggest investing more in glass than the more expensive ammo option. Scope clarity or light transmission (and even once, confidence in it keeping straight) has restricted my hunting opportunity far more than cartridge ballistics.

To be brutally honest, even though the 300wm has the "coolness" factor, in real practical terms, my findings are that the blatant majority of 300wm owners don't actually use it to its capacity. If I were starting out, I'd rather see the extra money go to more ammo.

Count me for example. I've made clean kills with .300wm, 300wsm, 30.06, .338wm, and .375h&H, but never once at a range where I couldn't have without the 30.06.

Yes, I can bench a rifle, calculate drop, and make holes in paper really well really far away. As a hunter, however, caked in mud, leaning against a tree early morning, late at night, in the rain or in -30c, shaking with excitement for finding the one that I want to shoot, making estimated guesses for how far away the animal is, etc...you really have to learn what your ethical shooting range is as applied to your situation. I don't care how many times you've shot while benched at the range -> you NEED to develop your practical shootings skills before hand - lying down, sitting, leaning, etc.

The 30.06, with proper loads and a well constructed bullet, has the energy at 500yards to flop over a deer or black bear with proper shot placement. Last part there is the part that counts.

Something else to consider. Even if you have a clean shot at 300 yards, where nobody would argue as outside the range of a 30.06, a follow up shot is that much harder. In the case that, heaven forbid, you gut shoot an animal, how comfortable are you with your tracking skills? 300 yards away gives the animal a lot of direction to go where you won't be able to see. "That Tree" that you used as a reference point for finding the blood trail sure looks similar to every other tree 300 yards closer (and I'm a registered professional forester with extensive tree mensuration and surveying experience)

I apologise if I'm coming off harsh or as a hunting ethics snob. I just hear way too many stories from newer hunters who took their big magnums, haven't practiced shooting as much as they should have, and "missed" when they took a shot they clearly shouldn't have. Keep in mind that if you're aiming for something the size of a baskeball and miss, then unless you majorly flinched, chances are you're hitting something bull sized where it ran off to bleed.

Just to add, a friend of mine has a 308 Norma (similar to most all 300mags). He was having trouble with rifle fit and recoil equating to poor shots/misses on game. I started loading 180gr X bullets at just over 2700fps for him. He sure likes them X bullets as well as the rifle its in now.
Basically I gave him a 30-06 and he has noted zero differance on game performance other than shots are more accurate. The Norma still is #1 in his book, I never told the difference.

doddatto
02-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Hey there doddatto!

No your not coming off as harsh i appreciate the advice, i will be practicing my shooting skills before i do any hunting a 300 is too much for me, and i understand this, id hate to develop a flinch 270 or 30 06. is what i tend on buying i want to be able to but 200 rounds down range before i line up a shot on game, i dont want to see any animal suffer this is for sure. So we will see. cant wait too put a pic up here of my first kill :smile:

brian
02-17-2013, 01:44 AM
200 rounds is a good starter goal. It'll roughly get you 10 range sessions if you blow through a box a session (which is realistic if you let your barrel cool down between strings). Which is about once a week in summer leading up to September. I roughly did the same thing in the first few years when I first started and I learned a lot.

The Dude
02-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Its more for protection if a bear charges at me, idk if i need it im a noob i just want to hunt safe :)

I've hunted in Ontario and BC for a combined ~30 years. Never had to defend myself against a bear. 99% of hunters probably have the same story, so i wouldn't sweat it. But the bottom line is , if you're gonna carry a shotgn for hunting, and you want it "Tacti-Cool", then it's your choice and your money.
Welcome to the great outdoors! I hope you do well. :-)

jtred
02-17-2013, 08:43 AM
My vote would also go to the 30-06. I started with a 30-06 and would still be shooting it now(30 years later) if my younger brother hadn't sold it on me when I was travelling. I now shoot a 270win(I refer to it as a 30-06 improved) more speed, flatter trajectory with the same weight bullet. If you put the bullet where it counts the deer, elk, moose, bear (not counting grizzly or bison) most likely won't know the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 300wm if you can shoot it well, I've seen too many guys at various ranges shooting big magnums poorly. They are scared of their rifle and don't practise enough, a magnum won't make up for poor shot placement in most cases. As far as 'bear protection' goes I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Bear spray has been shown to be a more effective option in bear encounters, of which there are very, very few. If you are really worried about a bear attack just be sure you hunt with someone older and slower than you. You can't outrun a bear but you can outrun your partner. Ha Ha! Good luck out there.

doddatto
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
My vote would also go to the 30-06. I started with a 30-06 and would still be shooting it now(30 years later) if my younger brother hadn't sold it on me when I was travelling. I now shoot a 270win(I refer to it as a 30-06 improved) more speed, flatter trajectory with the same weight bullet. If you put the bullet where it counts the deer, elk, moose, bear (not counting grizzly or bison) most likely won't know the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 300wm if you can shoot it well, I've seen too many guys at various ranges shooting big magnums poorly. They are scared of their rifle and don't practise enough, a magnum won't make up for poor shot placement in most cases. As far as 'bear protection' goes I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Bear spray has been shown to be a more effective option in bear encounters, of which there are very, very few. If you are really worried about a bear attack just be sure you hunt with someone older and slower than you. You can't outrun a bear but you can outrun your partner. Ha Ha! Good luck out there.

lol ill be sure too do that, any of you old timers wana go bear hunting with me this spring JK, Im looking at a place, which im willing to share, its off dewdney trunk road by stealhead if you look to the east u will see two montains with a valley with north facing slop and a south facing slop with nice clearing has anyone been here???//??? or what do u guys think :):)

Weatherby Fan
02-17-2013, 10:43 AM
For a new shooter I would look at 3 things. 1 - low recoil. 2 - ammo availability. 3- ammo cost. I would stay away from the magnums until you learn to shoot and handle recoil. My suggestions would be 270, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06

This here is very sound advice,nothing wrong with any of these calibers and are quite common,options on rifles and and ammo will be readily available.
Only thing I would add is use quality ammo loaded with better bullets,and buy the best scope possible so your only buying once.
WF

doddatto
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
This here is very sound advice,nothing wrong with any of these calibers and are quite common,options on rifles and and ammo will be readily available.
Only thing I would add is use quality ammo loaded with better bullets,and buy the best scope possible so your only buying once.
WF

Yea 06. it is and 22. for smaller game i doubt ill get a shot gun as its not really needed ill just get bear spray i love this community thank for all the advice :)

dropshot
02-17-2013, 11:38 AM
If you would like to try the two side by side to see what you think. I have both calibers and can offer to invite you along the next time I go to the range. You could try both calibers. Im in Poco as well but the range I belong to is out in the valley. PM me if you interested

doddatto
02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Sounds good man i have pmed you!!! ahhh thanks man its the 300 i havent shot

eaglesnester
02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
You will do fine with a 30/06 or a 300 mag. I own both calibers and I hunt with both and reload for both. The 30/06 is a mighty fine caliber, able to take all game in North America save the great bears at ranges farther than U can probably shoot well. The recoil is very manageable on the aut 6 and the caliber is very accurate, ammo is available everywhere. The 30/06 has more bullet grain weights available than any other caliber, from varmint to moose bullet grain weights and probably more different brands from Burger to Hornady from premium to bonded. The 300 mag as others have pointed out on this thread has more recoil, and the effective range is only increased by a 100 meters or so Ammo is more expensive. Others have pointed out the ethics involved with shooting out to or past 300 meters on game. A 300 will do that if U do your part and have the right bullet and grain weight for the animals U are hunting. I shoot to 500 on paper frequently with a 338/378 Weatherby. I would never ever attempt a shot on an animal at that range as there is too much of a chance of putting the bullet in the wrong place and making the animal suffer. I am also 69 years old and I do not want to have to track a badly shot animal. Most all of the critters I have shot or seen shot have been less than 100 meters and if the truth be known less than 80 meters. When U get out past 300 meters it becomes a moot point as most of us cant shoot that far anyway unless U want to spend some serious trigger time at the range. In any case I would choose a rifle with a 24 or 26 inch barrel for more range and MV but that is just me because as I said before I like range time. If it were me I would get both because I just like rifles, reloading, and shooting. In any case dont cheap out on the glass U put on top your scope should cost as much if not more than the rifle. One last thing I would stay away from buying a used gun as your first firearm. U do not know enough yet to undertake that task. There are many things U must know. What kind of shape is the barrel in? Is it pitted, do U know how to tell. Can U inspect the condition of the barrel and estimate number of rounds through the weapon?
Has the rifles chamber been reamed properly, sometimes their not and this could be why it is being sold. what is the head space like is it excessive, this can create a dangerous condition if it is not? Do U know how to tell? What is the throat like? is it burned out? Is the barrel bent? Why is the owner selling the rifle? Does the safety work, what condition is the trigger group in, stock and recoil block? Has the rifle been abused, can U tell? Does the rifle fire, feed, extract, and eject properly? Does the bolt open and close smooth with no galling, on a lever action, does the action function in a smooth manner? with a spent round in the chamber and the rifle in battery is the bolt tight with very little or no movement? and on and on it goes. Good luck, practice your shooten and shoot safe.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Singleshotneeded
02-21-2013, 02:54 AM
If this is your first rifle I'd skip both the ones you mentioned and get a .308, it's a more efficient 30.06, less recoil,
shorter case, but very similar ballistics. The ammo is well priced like the 30.06, and it's softer to shoot...so you
won't mind doing a lot of shooting at the range and improving your skills. Ciao paesano. :-)

eaglesnester
04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Which one did you get? 308 - 30/06 - or a mag? Also how do you like your choice?

Foxton Gundogs
04-09-2013, 06:46 AM
I am not a huge '06 fan for no particular reason, BUT that being said if I could only own 1 rifle it would be a 30-06 for the exact reasons jus stated by eaglenester.

BiG Boar
04-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I am not a huge '06 fan for no particular reason, BUT that being said if I could only own 1 rifle it would be a 30-06 for the exact reasons jus stated by eaglenester.

If I could only own one rifle, it would be a 460 Weatherby. I would use that rifle to shoot the person that made up that stupid law.

Jagermeister
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Here is my 2¢ worth. The long of it is that the 300WM has greater recoil and can be uncomfortable to shoot if the firearm is not fitted to you, same would apply to a 30.06 too but recoil is less. Purchase the best quality rifle you can afford. Whichever rifle you choose, have the rifle fitted for you, especially length of pull. Top it with high quality optics. Keep it clean and well oiled, fondle it and keep it for a lifetime.

doddatto
04-10-2013, 09:33 PM
didnt get any yet, getting my pal has been a joke. Im going to make a vid of when i go out and buy my first rifle for all you to watch a 200 lbs 26 year old turn into a lil girl with excitement LOL. I cant wait, just to go out and fill the freezzer

albravo2
04-13-2013, 07:31 PM
if you still haven't received PAL you are lost in the shuffle and need to start calling until you talk to someone that can help you.

i waited patiently for way too long, then spoke to the right person and my PAL arrived 5 days later.

for the record, i then bought a 7mm RM in a Tikka T3 Lite. i've also bought a 45/70, a 12 ga, a 10/22 and a .223. if i had to keep just one it would be the 7mm.

Legi0n
04-13-2013, 08:01 PM
yea i was dead set to the 30 06. I have shot it before and it was nice and comfortable. i planing on going shooting when i get it, before i do any hunting. Im not to worried about it, i just didnt want to buy a gun that i wouldn't be to control it and be stuck with it, cuz of crappy re sale`s. When does the bullet start to drop at.100 feet, it drops an 1inc? i just wana know for when i go target practice i can have an idea. iv shot 22s as well lol i know laugh its ok. it was simple and easy, i think im going to go to dvc and shoot off a couple rounds from .300 see how it feels its the only way ill know. thanks everyone :)

you can't shoot centerfire rifle at dvc

Legi0n
04-13-2013, 08:03 PM
300 win mag

I bought my first one when I was only 15 years old. I still hunt with it to this day. As far as what you can hunt with it, the options in B.C. are endless. I also own a couple 06's but they don't get the use that my 300's do.

Both will do the job, my personal preference is the 300 though but I hunt places at times where a 300 yard shot is a short one and I know it is just a chip shot with what I am carrying. I have taken everything from grouse to grizzly bears with it and most things in between.

I've only shot grouse once with a 30-06. And that's because I could only retrieve half of it.

doddatto
04-14-2013, 04:35 PM
you can't shoot centerfire rifle at dvc

Yea i found that out already when i called lol sorta sucks but w.e Burke mountain it is then

doddatto
04-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I've only shot grouse once with a 30-06. And that's because I could only retrieve half of it.
Yea i seen this happen to a rabbit aswell!

Legi0n
04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Yea i found that out already when i called lol sorta sucks but w.e Burke mountain it is then

Burke mountain is a no firearms discharge area up to Dennet lake.
That's a full day hike. Plan to stay overnight.
Or just buy a day card at the PoCo range.

biggyun68
04-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Bolt action .308 with a good quality Leopold or Bushnell scope - .22 (10/22 for auto or CZ for bolt action) open sights and 12 gauge pump with 28" or 30" barrel (Improved, Full, Skeet and Modified chokes) You can shoot/hunt anything in BC:
Can find all three guns/glass high quality used for $1500: Your ammo is also as about as cheap as it gets for practice:
IMHO

cariboo crawler
04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
I have two Sakos. My son (16 yrs old) uses a 30-06 and wants nothing to do with my 300 WM . I agree with the guys on a starter rifle as the 30-06 . You will not regret it.
Put a good scope on it and practice,practice , practice!

cariboo crawler
04-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Have a look at this ballistic calculator . It will give you an idea on 30 cals. The 300 is really a beefed up 30-06

http://www.winchester.com/learning-center/ballistics-calculator/Pages/ballistics-calculator.aspx (http://www.winchester.com/learning-center/ballistics-calculator/Pages/ballistics-calculator.aspx)

longstonec
04-17-2013, 01:31 PM
To keep it between the two you originally posted 30-06 and 300wm and not throw any other calibers in ( even though i would like to )

Buy a 30-06, you will never regret it. Any one of the big manufactures will never let you down.

Buy a 10/22 if your getting a .22 remington 597 is less$$ but a pain in the @$$ to deal with the sub par magazines. or a bolt

Look into buying a rem 870 with combo barrels or with a short barrel first and then a longer one if you want to go out and shoot clays, or ducks etc. Its a better machine then the mossbergs or win defenders. No sling. Don't buy a pistol grip for "bear protection" Its not faster to shoot from your hip and miss.

doddatto
04-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Burke mountain is a no firearms discharge area up to Dennet lake.
That's a full day hike. Plan to stay overnight.
Or just buy a day card at the PoCo range.
no you allowed to Shoot up there from oct til june, iv looked it up!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/pinecone/#Hunting says you're allowed to Hunt!

And thanks for the chart and everything ele (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?23086-cariboo-crawler) cariboo crawler (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?23086-cariboo-crawler)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-offline.png

Legi0n
04-19-2013, 11:46 PM
aaahhh, newbies, so enthusiastic about the sport!
I was like this once.
You checked the provincial/parks regs.
But what you forgot to check is the Coquitlam Firearms bylaws. http://e-civic.coquitlam.ca/cybercedms/getdoc.asp?doc=1285440#null
And the GVRD map. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf

doddatto
04-20-2013, 03:38 PM
aaahhh, newbies, so enthusiastic about the sport!
I was like this once.
You checked the provincial/parks regs.
But what you forgot to check is the Coquitlam Firearms bylaws. http://e-civic.coquitlam.ca/cybercedms/getdoc.asp?doc=1285440#null
And the GVRD map. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf
Burke montain is is in the city of Port Coquitlam and look carefully ull see the black lines with white back round is burke and its say ur allowed, I had a PDF that said u where alowed but it just not working for me right now ill have to re find it

doddatto
04-20-2013, 03:40 PM
well this noob knows what hes talking about thanks you.........

REGION 2
In keeping with Section 29 of the Park, Conservancy and Recreation Area
Regulation, the following are only open to the discha
rge of firearms, bows
and crossbows from Sept. 10 to June 15 during a lawful game hunting
season:
Bishop River Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-14)
Callaghan Lake Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-6)
Chilliwack Lake Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-3)
Campground area and ecological reserve remain closed to hunting.
Clendinning Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-6)
Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area

. . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-17)
Desolation Sound Marine Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-12)
Duck Lake Protected Area
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-12)
E.C. Manning Park
that portion in MU 2-17 only . . . . . . (MU 2-17)
Estero Basin Conservancy
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-15)
Homathko Estuary Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-15)
Homathko River - Tatlayoko Protected Area
. . (MU 2-15, 5-5)
is open to the discharge of firearms from Sept 1 to June 30
only during a lawful game hunting season.
Indian Arm Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-8)
Inland Lake Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-12)
Malaspina Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-12)
Mount Elphinstone Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-5)
Mount Richardson Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-5)
Phillips Estuary
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (MU 2-15)
Pinecone Burke Park
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (

doddatto
04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
check it out for your self...
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

then click on hunting in parks.... :)

thanks tho

Legi0n
04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
If you discharge a gun south of Dennet lake you'll get yourself in more trouble than it's worth.
Starting with 2012 not even archery is allowed within the boundaries of Coquitlam.
Do as you like but you've been warned.

Legi0n
04-20-2013, 04:02 PM
ok, I used to be just like you so I'll throw in some tips:
Pinecone Burke Park is big. Dennet Lake marks the northern boundary of Coquitlam in this park.
You can hunt (no target practice though) in portions of said park that are not covered by a no-discharge bylaw.
The Ministry of the Environment map is free for hunters and a good guideline.
Also, if you're hunting in the Fraser Valley area, you need extra insurance.
The trails of Pinecone Burke Park are full of mountain-bikers and hikers. The hippy type who freak out at the sound of shooting.
There are even private cabins in the area.

I know you're eager to shoot some but trust me on this one; the onus is on you to make sure you can shoot where you are shooting.

It's cheaper to buy a range membership. After all PoCo is right at the Pinecone Burke park southern gate.
Or just buy a day card. Maybe we'll meet there.

doddatto
04-20-2013, 04:08 PM
ok, I used to be just like you so I'll throw in some tips:
Pinecone Burke Park is big. Dennet Lake marks the northern boundary of Coquitlam in this park.
You can hunt (no target practice though) in portions of said park that are not covered by a no-discharge bylaw.
The Ministry of the Environment map is free for hunters and a good guideline.
Also, if you're hunting in the Fraser Valley area, you need extra insurance.
The trails of Pinecone Burke Park are full of mountain-bikers and hikers. The hippy type who freak out at the sound of shooting.
There are even private cabins in the area.

I know you're eager to shoot some but trust me on this one; the onus is on you to make sure you can shoot where you are shooting.

It's cheaper to buy a range membership. After all PoCo is right at the Pinecone Burke park southern gate.
Or just buy a day card. Maybe we'll meet there.

Must be an easer way to figure this shit out is there a number you can call and ask where because this states that insurance is indeed needed but for hunting BIRDS it clearly states

Fraser Valley Special Licence Hunting Area
(FVSLHA) (situated in MUs 2-4, 2-8). All persons
hunting within MU 2-4 & those portions of MU 2-8
within the corporate limits of the corporation of
the district of Maple Ridge, the corporation of the
district of Pitt Meadows, the district of Mission, the
corporation of the district of Coquitlam are required
to purchase a Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting
Licence in addition to other Provincial licences and
for hunting migratory game birds, the Migratory Bird
Licence. $1,000,000.00 Public Liability and Property
Damage insurance is required.

doddatto
04-20-2013, 04:17 PM
this is why i still need to take the CORE LOL

Legi0n
04-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh, I could tell you about the run-ins I've had with the hippies on the trails of Pinecone Burke park and how many were freaking out at the sight of my guns.
I was just hiking out of Coquitlam but given the steepness of the terrain that took a while.
Some cabin owners were hunter friendly but some (a lawyer) were not.
Last Sunday there were 4 police cruisers on Harper road (southern boundary of the park) and another one rushed in followed by the park ranger. Do not take a chance!

doddatto
04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I wont i will make sure i call the conservation office before i decide to do so, i was told you where allowed, but even if you are and its going to be problems then i wont, its just nice and close and iv been up and down that mountain and thats all i see is bear ! thanks man i appreciate it

Legi0n
04-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Yep, plenty of bear there.
And that's what triggered the archery ban last year: a live bear has been spotted with an arrow stuck in it's body.
Long story short, archery is no longer allowed in the Coquitlam's area of the park.

doddatto
04-20-2013, 07:08 PM
that's Crazy. some people eh, thanks again for the advice

M.Dean
04-22-2013, 10:22 AM
The 300 Winchester Magnum is the best of the two Rifles because I own two of them! That's That, question answered, save your self all the grief that 30-06 owners go through, buy a 300 Win Mag, problem's solved, next question Please!!!

doddatto
04-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Ok not to bash you or anything i just called the conservation officer hunting is allowed on burke Mountain, just not in the water shed restricted area! which is all fenced off, Burke is considered Located in Port Coquitlam... Just had too call!

doddatto
04-22-2013, 10:23 AM
thanks mr dean :)

adriaticum
04-22-2013, 11:02 AM
The 300 Winchester Magnum is the best of the two Rifles because I own two of them! That's That, question answered, save your self all the grief that 30-06 owners go through, buy a 300 Win Mag, problem's solved, next question Please!!!

What's the grief that 30/06 owners go through?
300 Winmag is substantially more expensive to shoot and it has substantially more recoil which means not everyone can shoot it and you can't shoot it from the hip sort of thing.
Very little improvement in ballistics IMO.
In other words, not worth it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/300WinMagVelocityComp01.png

doddatto
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Here i got a question nothing to do with Guns, Iv Called Everywhere to try to find out where i can get the CORE book and no one knows some one already told me on here but cant find the thread Im in Poco. thankss

outdoorsk
04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Doddatto

Wanstalls sells the CORE books. They are in Maple Ridge.

doddatto
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
thanks man

hare_assassin
05-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I've shot 30-06 quite a lot and tried out my buddy's 300 mag at the range a few times. 300 mag can be a punishing gun. Its ballistics advantage over the 30-06 cannot be denied, but as many of others have said, there is a definite overkill factor.

I struggled with this decision a lot, and did a lot of research and forum reading. Based on months of this, I purchased a .270 Win. Super-flat trajectory, easy to shoot, cheap ammo that is available anywhere, and kills things just as dead as the 30 cals with the right bullet.

I bought the rifle (Savage 11/111 International Trophy Hunter XP) on a Friday morning. Put a box through it that afternoon and got it dialed in at 200, hit the 500m gong three times in a row. This was the farthest I had ever shot with a rifle and I couldn't believe I was shooting at those distances. The excellent trigger and the low recoil was a whole new world to me.

Next morning, I killed my first buck. First shot from about 180m, I misjudged the wind (adrenaline wasn't helping) and gut shot him. He was on the run at about 230m and the second round blew his right shoulder apart and dropped him.

One caveat; the .270 is not appropriate for Bison (unless you can find some 175gr. bullets for it and get close...). If I ever win a Bison tag I will either buy a 300 mag or borrow my friend's.

If you can find a place to try some of these calibers, I highly recommend adding .270 to the list.

Also, if you want to do some reading on just about every calibre out there, Nathan Foster's site is absolutely incredible! http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html The guy has killed literally thousands of animals with almost every type of cartridge/bullet combo you can think of and he and his wife perform autopsies to evaluate the performance... Unreal!

christopher
05-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi David
I have had both and a few other Calibers as well I found the 300WM a little over powered and the 30-06 a great all around Caliber.If your young enough consider a reloading Kit and you can Expand that 30-06 to cover all kinds of hunting.Try to find an older Rifle Husqavarna spelt wrong of course they have a action that will last forever try to get what ever you buy checked by a qualified Gunsmith for rifling and bolt face for any used guns

Surrey Boy
05-17-2013, 08:27 PM
The 30-06 is the best bang for your buck, especially for a beginner. You've the most kinetic energy, available rifles, ammunition variety and availability of any cartridge.

If you start rolling your own, building custom guns, shoot competitively, there are many better choices. But until you reach that point, the 30-06 is the best round for a North American shooter and hunter.

BCBRAD
05-18-2013, 08:38 AM
The 30-06 really shines when hand loaded and is not a boring cartridge at all, so long as your well endowed. The animals I have bagged with the 30-06 would not be any deader if shot with a 300wm. Mine is in a Sako Finnlight and it is a fairly light ,portable rifle. For deer a 168gr TSX is excellent for the big stuff a 200gr AccuBond at 2600-2700 fps mv, will not allow the animal to take another step.
For years I packed a 7mag, bought a Sako in 300wm brought it home then came to my senses and said wtf am I going to do with this that a 30-06 can't do so I sold it. Today a well loaded, with bullet selection with the game in mind, my choice will be the 30-06. In a heavy target rifle I might consider a 300wm, but that rig will weigh ~13lbs ready to shoot.