PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting?

MEATEATER
02-15-2013, 01:35 AM
If you had to pick one spot where would you hunt elk?

1947 not included lol

NORTHERN HUNTER
02-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Anywhere there are Elk. Nothing beats Elk hunting.

hunter1947
02-15-2013, 05:44 AM
If you had to pick one spot where would you hunt elk?

1947 not included lol

Man you sure put me to the test LOL there are so many regions that hold big numbers of elk but if it was me going after elk for the first time and I can get back in from the roads this would be my first pick 7-50 or 7-49 these regions hold the highest number of elk in BC there are moose and other big game animals you can hunt as well when you are on this hunting trip.

My second choice would be 4-08 ,,,,,,,, 409 big elk in these regions I will be hunting elk in one of these two regions this year ,,,,,,,, my third place if I was going to hunt elk would be in region 4-02 ,,4-03 ,,4-04 EK regions...

new hunter
02-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Probably a stupid rookie question , but is there anywhere in the province were Elk are not an LEH hunt ?
I got my hands full with deer and grouse at the time being , I'm not looking to go after Elk any time soon , just curious .

BiG Boar
02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Probably a stupid rookie question , but is there anywhere in the province were Elk are not an LEH hunt ?
I got my hands full with deer and grouse at the time being , I'm not looking to go after Elk any time soon , just curious .

Yes, most of it is not LEH.

BiG Boar
02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
But if you had to pick one spot it would be on the island, anywhere.

Rodd
02-15-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm with Hunter 47... Lots of good elk hunts in the province for sure.. Gotta love beautiful BC..

cdnshooter13
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Id have to pick Nanaimo lakes because its my backyard and it wouldnt be too difficult to find a 6 or 7 pt bull as i see them nearly everytime I'm out there:)

IronNoggin
02-15-2013, 01:48 PM
But if you had to pick one spot it would be on the island, anywhere.

BINGO! :mrgreen:

ianwuzhere
02-15-2013, 02:36 PM
island or kootenays- thats where the big ones are!

Ron.C
02-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Although I live on Van Isle, see elk nearly everytime I'm in the bush and pretty sure I'd have no problem filling a tag, I would have to pick the East Kootenays. Some of the areas I elk hunt in Reg 4 don't have the highest populations , I just love hunting out there.

bridger
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Two bulls over 380 taken in the peace this year.

digger dogger
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Two bulls over 380 taken in the peace this year.

Peace region...
I saw a big ass bull come out of the peace, this year too. maybe not 380, but 350+ for sure.

new hunter
02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I remember when I was a kid growing up on the Island , my parents were jehovahs witness's and every spring (I think , it was a long time ago ) the Elk would come down to the Kingdom hall ( in cassidy , across the high way from the airpot ) , eat all the plants in the garden , and crap all over the parking lot .
A couple of the members were avid hunter , and I remember at least one saying he'd love to set up a blind in the parking lot .

NovemberBravo
02-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Not sure on the population but there is a 6 point bull season in Princeton. I hunted Elk up there this year (my first year hunting) and did not have any luck but we have seen Elk up in that region and we saw one while coyote hunting :evil:

aggiehunter
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Rialto Creek....10 years ago....

hunter1947
02-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Although I live on Van Isle, see elk nearly everytime I'm in the bush and pretty sure I'd have no problem filling a tag, I would have to pick the East Kootenays. Some of the areas I elk hunt in Reg 4 don't have the highest populations , I just love hunting out there.

I can understand were you are coming from Ron I agree the EK is gods land and I don't regret moving up this way ,,a few people that I got to know up hear are a little crazy :mrgreen: LOL but then what do expect in a small town the likes of Cranbrook :mrgreen: LOL..

.300WSMImpact!
02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
I would say pick one spot and learn the area, try and get there in the spring, and late summer to do some scouting, each year you go you will learn more to up your odds, and on a side note nowhere you go is a sure thing its hard work, good luck!!

Trophyslayer
02-16-2013, 09:50 PM
There are areas with more elk than others but you just have to get to know the area.i have hunted in the same area 4 years now and every time I go back I see more and more elk. You just have to pick a spot and stick with it don't expect to hammer a 6point on your first elk hunt or you might be disappointed.. If I was going to pick a spot I'd go west kootenays or the peace region

gutpile
02-16-2013, 10:50 PM
If there are more elk on the Island why don't they
open up for general season for 6 point ?

finngun
02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
1947 s' backyard:mrgreen:

kyleklassen
02-16-2013, 11:15 PM
paldi............

hunter1947
02-17-2013, 04:02 AM
If there are more elk on the Island why don't they
open up for general season for 6 point ?

If they did this to many hunters would get shot :mrgreen:..

rides bike to work
02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Princeton area whipsaw not many people lots of elk that's where I'll be all sept oct

Bigbear
02-17-2013, 08:52 AM
I Like it Up on the Upper part of the wild Horse River out of Fort steel. Awesome Country. Lots of Hidden Valleys up there.

junkyard_g
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
They're expanding like crazy in the PG region. Still npt in the top 5 for places in BC yet....lots of small herds scattered about now in areas with little or no local knowledge of them hanging out before. Shot mine in Sept in a spot within 45min of my house in PG; a young 6X7. None of the PG herds seem large enough for people without local knowledge or experience to pinpoint a shooter in a short amount of time though. My buddies and I seem to get into them easy enough now but still have a very low success rate in closing the deal, mostly due to the grossly thick bush around here. When in doubt the Pine River in Chetwynd is always a good bet, tons of elk but TONS of pressure.

pantsandbelt
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Personally i love the East kootenays especially 4-03 Zone X the farmers have lots of problem with the elk and there is a abundance of them also nice weather and country in september we got 2 300inch bulls out of there and 1 cow last year it is a great area for beginners and lots of nice things to off such as whitetail mule deer grouse and turkeys also lots of yotes if your into that type of stuff but definitely my favourite area to hunt elk in general

hunter1947
02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Keep your eyes open there might be closing zone X down I heard that the wildlife branch have filled there quota ..

GoatGuy
02-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Tuchodi and surrounding area. No secret spots, just lots of elk.

.300WSMImpact!
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Keep your eyes open there might be closing zone X down I heard that the wildlife branch have filled there quota ..

what! that would suck!

BlacktailStalker
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Tuchodi and surrounding area. No secret spots, just lots of elk.

Yup. Bring a pack frame though, by no means easy

GoatGuy
02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Yup. Bring a pack frame though, by no means easy

Success vs effort I guess.

IMHO much more fun to head up there and have a great chance and see some country than spending $1000 running up and down the dust bath on the Legendary "bull river" in the hopes you might see an elk..

Hahaha

BCrams
02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
IMHO much more fun to head up there and have a great chance and see some country than spending $1000 running up and down the dust bath on the Legendary "bull river" in the hopes you might see an elk..

:lol:

Pretty much sums it up! The Tuchodi system pretty much ranks right up there as an elk destination for the abundance of animals.

The Peace would be a good area too and quite a few good bulls come out of the Tumbler / Chetwynd area every year. Not that it matters to most of us who hunt elk and would shoot the first legal bull, there was a 379" bull taken this past fall close to Hudson's Hope indicating they grow them just as big as the west koots.

boxhitch
02-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Story has it that there were over 40? jetboats on the Ketchika during the elk opening , lots are repeat visitors.
Funny , never seen the area referenced for elk success

????????

hunter1947
02-22-2013, 03:12 AM
what! that would suck!

I heard this from a good source not to mention any names..

pantsandbelt
02-22-2013, 12:46 PM
I heard this from a good source not to mention any names..
This would be terrible when i was in zone x there were quite a few elk shot but there were still lots of other herds around and we saw lots of elk so lets hope the Wildlife management keeps it open

.300WSMImpact!
02-23-2013, 10:14 AM
would love to get on some private land in zone x but that's real tough the farmers don't want people on there land, its frustrating driving by the farm land ans seeing hundreds if not thousands of elk but we cant go on there land. Oh well that's what mountain tops are for I guess

bugler
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
It does not take long for the elk to figure out what land they are safe on. They do tend to concentrate and stand around on posted fields and it looks like they would be just sooooo easy. Put a bit of pressure on them though and they are gone. I find hunting elk in and around farms to be quite a bit more difficult than hunting away from the agriculture.

HarryToolips
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM

And that's why many hunters feel that they should come out with the regs every season, not every two, this will just confuse people...

6pt_elk_wannabe
04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
4-8 and 4-9 for me :)