PDA

View Full Version : Determining the age of a bear?

Morel
02-14-2013, 11:17 PM
I am starting to think seriously about the upcoming spring bear season and was looking through the regs and HBC posts on the topic. Most of the posts advise new hunters to make sure there are no cubs around. The regs state that "It's unlawful to.. hunt a grizzly bear or black bearless than 2 years old or any bear in its company." I get it that it is illegal to hunt a bear with cubs since the cubs would be less than 2 years old. However, if you see a bear on its own how do you determine if it is older than two years? My understanding is that cubs stay with their mothers until they are about 1 1/2 so might be on their own (no cubs or mom around ) but still be under the legal age limit.

Thanks for the info,
Cheers

The Dawg
02-15-2013, 12:04 AM
You'll know a 2 year old. Very lanky and not usually afraid as it hasn't been shot at.

moosinaround
02-15-2013, 12:12 AM
You'll know a 2 year old. Very lanky and not usually afraid as it hasn't been shot at.
Trust what this guy says. He's shot at a lot of bears!!

Look at the body, look at the ears, the face. A bigger bear will have its ears spaced more to the sides of its head, not the top. The triangle the ears to nose make is acute on a smaller bear , and obtuse on a larger bear. The belly and how close it is to the ground, closer to the ground on a mature big bear, versus lots of leg and no belly close to the ground on a smaller bear. Big bears walk with a pronounced sway, where a smaller bear will have no sway. Bears are hard to field judge, but you can usually see lots of them, and most times you can get lots of time to watch them close. Remember, big bears get big because they are smart, but their bellies will always win over, and if there is a good grub source, there will be bears! Good huntng, Moosin

The Dawg
02-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Trust what this guy says. He's shot at a lot of bears!!

Look at the body, look at the ears, the face. A bigger bear will have its ears spaced more to the sides of its head, not the top. The triangle the ears to nose make is acute on a smaller bear , and obtuse on a larger bear. The belly and how close it is to the ground, closer to the ground on a mature big bear, versus lots of leg and no belly close to the ground on a smaller bear. Big bears walk with a pronounced sway, where a smaller bear will have no sway. Bears are hard to field judge, but you can usually see lots of them, and most times you can get lots of time to watch them close. Remember, big bears get big because they are smart, but their bellies will always win over, and if there is a good grub source, there will be bears! Good huntng, Moosin

Friends off lol

moosinaround
02-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Friends off lol
Geese Dawg I was throwing out a compliment to ya???? WTH Dude?!!;) Moosin

MEATEATER
02-15-2013, 12:36 AM
a dead bear is a good bear ;-)

Steeleco
02-15-2013, 09:08 AM
You may sometimes find a younger bear that is still with it's mother but is in it's second year, as such Mom can be quite some distance. If you have the time, use it to observe the bear and see if over time another bear appears. The time will also allow you to better judge the size of the bear you can see. They have been know to "SHRINK!". Bears viewed from the side that are above you on a hill can often be much larger looking than they are dead at your feet. Trust me, it's not a great feeling.

Bears in the spring are all about food and sex, take your time, they don't move too far if food or the other sex is near by. If you miss one, keep looking, there's more. Good luck.

Morel
02-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the info! I get your description. A couple of years ago I saw a young bear while out deer hunting. It took me a second to realize it was a bear. The legs seemed too long for the body and it moved more like a dog - not at all like the larger bears in videos.

Cheers,

MRP
02-15-2013, 11:18 PM
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=librarycollections.multimedia
# 8th vid down, titled "Take a Closer Look" seen it long time ago at a BCWF bear banquet.

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2013, 07:02 AM
You could probably pick it up with one hand and it will still appear cute rather than tasty !
Jk but if its alone and you have time to watch it long enough to see its alone hammer down ! Most animals with company look in the direction of one another often, even if you can't see what they are looking at. One of the best parts of hunting is watching an animal in its natural state and remaining unobserved, IMO.

BCKyle
02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=librarycollections.multimedia
# 8th vid down, titled "Take a Closer Look" seen it long time ago at a BCWF bear banquet.

I've got plans for my first spring bear season coming up as well; How much of this information is transferable to Black bears? No grizz for me, boys!

OH yeah and if anyone has troubles viewing that, an alternate link is here: http://vimeo.com/30511231