PDA

View Full Version : Rhodesian Ridge backs as either retrievers or pointers your experience/Knolwedge

biggyun68
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Hi Folks:
The kids are old enough now that the wife is giving up her violent defence of no dogs in the house.
I have owned a couple dogs but having come late into hunting they never had a hunting role.
The best dog I owned was a Rhodesian Ridge back. Very loyal and for the most part gentle around all.
I know they were bred as lion stalker and bay'rs but can they adapt to hunting birds and or other BC game besides predators?
You thoughts, experience and knowledge
Release the houndsBiggyun68

blackwater moose
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
as a ridgeback owner myself , IMO, they would be good with upland birds, but they would suck as duck retrievers

tadpole
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm on my second Ridgeback now. He is already almost 9 years old but in good spirits and physical condition. Very good blood hound and game finder,
but being African descent he is not much of a water lover. He braves cold water when situation arise(I'm a steelheader as well)no problem but forget about
retrieving ducks and such. He will ask you to retrieve it yourself .lol. Not barking in a forest at all and not chasing game. Actually when I stock game he follows a step behind me and try to crouch and get smaller than he is. When I'm about to shoot my crossbow at the deer he shivers from excitement and surely knows first when I miss.

biggyun68
02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
This is what I expected and I have heard how they are very quiet dogs...
I am excited at how they are good stalkers
Sounds like I have to talk the wife into two dogs LOL

buck nash
02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
It was very dificult to get my ridgeback in the water but she eventually got it. She's certainly not a strong swimmer but she loves to fetch and will do it as long as you keep throwing sticks in the water.

On land you can more easily see her hunting pedigree. She will stay close and creep along quietly when she's asked to but explodes as soon as she's given the go ahead.

They're supposed to be sight hounds but jezebel uses her nose quite a bit too.

You're not gonna find a better family dog than a ridgeback. When My son was a baby he would hang from her ears and pull her tail and she just would just sigh and give him kisses. When she's at home she just lays around and cuddles but when she gets out she's the most energetic dog in the park even though she's almost 11 years old. She gets along with other dogs, cats horses and kids very well. There's not a mean bone in her unless she's protecting her family and she has incredible patients with babys and puppys.

Foxton Gundogs
02-15-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm no expert but have known a few, IMO they are hounds and do what hounds do run(thats not to say they cant be controlled) if you want a bird dog get a bird dog if you want a hound get a hound if you want a dog to do both get one of the versetiles, but if you like Ridgebacks and want a companion then get one.
Good luck with what ever you choose.

tadpole
02-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Both of my consecutive Rhodesians never wondered or run away. In fact if my current one ask to go outside at night or early morning I let him out on the street and 10 minutes later he is knocking the door to let him back in(rural area). He is nine and never wondered around. When I'm steelheading he walks the bush around but check with me every 5 minutes or so and when I want him back at my heel, one short whistle and he is right back . He also has this ability to befriend even aggressive dogs and never get aroused or nervous at other madly barking canines. Just ignores them.

6.5x55
02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
I had one once she was a hell of a bird dog , slaughtered all the neighbour's chickens and got herself shot.

tadpole
02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
A lot depends how do you raise them from pup. I allow lot of freedom to my dog, but he knows his restrictions. At nine years most of the stuff is a routine anyway.

IronNoggin
02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
... There's not a mean bone in her unless she's protecting her family and she has incredible patients with babys and puppys.

Seems to be a characteristic alright. When my Hybrid Amaruq (aka Boogs) was barely over 5 weeks old and on his way home to The Rock, we stopped in for a night at Tadpole's for a visit. First thing my little Bugger did was run right up to the MUCH Larger Ridgeback, jump up and latch onto his lips, and dangle there for a second. I thought he was going to be TOAST! That Big Boy simply looked at tad & I like You Gotta Be Kidding! And put up with the pups shenanigans for the rest of the night! VERY Well Disciplined & Relaxed Lad!

I can also vouch for what Tad is saying regarding straying. Never seems to want to leave the yard, even when some stumblebum like me leaves the bloody gate open (yet again!). REALLY Like Tad's Boy, and if I wasn't into Wolf Hybrids as much as I am, would definitely consider one!

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Give the Ol' Boy a scritch from me Buddy! :wink:

biggyun68
02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
The negotiations with the wife have started: I like all the advice and the testaments to temperament are all consistent with what I have experienced, heard and read.
Thank-you Foxton for your opinion: I like labs as well but they are every bodies friends which does nto bode well here in East Van:

Foxton Gundogs
02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
The negotiations with the wife have started: I like all the advice and the testaments to temperament are all consistent with what I have experienced, heard and read.
Thank-you Foxton for your opinion: I like labs as well but they are every bodies friends which does nto bode well here in East Van:

Actually not so, depends on how they are raised my last lab was a real guard dog we wone more bets with guys betting they could not get in my pickup and drive it around the block when i left the keys in it. Also for the birddog, "guard" factor consider a GSP or Chessie they are both quite protective and good bird dogs to boot.

Cheers
FG

lightmag
02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
my boy (rhodesian) is almost 2, what an amazing dog, extremely quiet, if he "woofs" there is a reason, extremely loyal, very calm, quiet and amazing temperment, great in the bush, never wonders, great nose , you will never regret a ridgeback and he will have your BACK if needed, ZERO fear in these dogs.

buck nash
02-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Actually not so, depends on how they are raised my last lab was a real guard dog we wone more bets with guys betting they could not get in my pickup and drive it around the block when i left the keys in it. Also for the birddog, "guard" factor consider a GSP or Chessie they are both quite protective and good bird dogs to boot.

Cheers
FG

My boss's yellow lab knew me for 4 years and would still growl at me if I tried to drive her truck. He was trained to guard the truck and took his job seriously. When he was away from the truck he would wrestle and play with me no problem. But I'm sure he'd bite me if I took his truck without my boss or her husband there to tell him it was fine.