PDA

View Full Version : Black bears

KillerKlevis
02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey guys.
Im not new to hunting but new to the idea of bear hunting. Im in the lower mainland and was wondering if anyone could help out with where to go and info i need to know. I'll be using my 45/70 guide gun and 405g handloads. Maybe a .300 win mag for longer shots.

Steeleco
02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
As soon as the hills begin to turn green in the spring start looking for black/brown spots. Spring bear can be a lot of fun and the meat is fantastic.

There's plenty of good open areas all the way from Hope to Kamloops and further. On all three highways! Get a good map and look for areas that have good south facing slopes. They green up first.

ratherbefishin
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
I once made the mistake of going way up high-early in the spring the bears are down lower where the grass greens up.You can see them anytime of the day but best time is late afternoon

rcar
02-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I would suggest that you stay below 1500' until the end of May for best results. Basically look for poop and there you are. Also, you may find that the coastal bear meat isn't that great tasting due to their heavy fish diet. I was really surprised when I compared a non fish bear. You can search the site to find quite a few opinions on Coastal vs Non Coastal bear meat and different preperation preferences.

I didn't really embrace bear hunting until I did it and now wouldn't miss it. It's a lot of fun, especially if you haven't hunted since November. Nothing quite gets your heart pumping like walking into the brush after your downed bear and wondering in the back of your mind if you made a good shot or is the bear laying in wait for you!

Good luck.

xtrail
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I would suggest that you stay below 1500' until the end of May for best results. Basically look for poop and there you are. Also, you may find that the coastal bear meat isn't that great tasting due to their heavy fish diet. I was really surprised when I compared a non fish bear. You can search the site to find quite a few opinions on Coastal vs Non Coastal bear meat and different preperation preferences.

I didn't really embrace bear hunting until I did it and now wouldn't miss it. It's a lot of fun, especially if you haven't hunted since November. Nothing quite gets your heart pumping like walking into the brush after your downed bear and wondering in the back of your mind if you made a good shot or is the bear laying in wait for you!

Good luck.
Whats the difference between gutting and skinning a deer compared to a bear. What about the meat, some say it has bateria in it, is it true? Thanks

Steeleco
02-12-2013, 08:58 PM
You would "gut" a bear as you would any other big game animal. That said, my folks use the gutless method. I've yet to try it myself but from what I know, try it once and never go back. There's plenty of you tube clips on how too!!

The meat can be susceptible to Trichinosis as is pork but it's rare and not even an issue if you handle and cook your meat properly.

rcar
02-12-2013, 09:43 PM
One thing I will add to Steeleco's reply is that there is a lot more hair on a bear than a deer and in the spring there is a lot more loose stuff, so you need to be a bit more careful when caping it to make sure to keep it off the meat.

xtrail
02-13-2013, 08:31 AM
One thing I will add to Steeleco's reply is that there is a lot more hair on a bear than a deer and in the spring there is a lot more loose stuff, so you need to be a bit more careful when caping it to make sure to keep it off the meat.
thanks guys, might give it a shot this spring.

The Hermit
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Spring is one of my favorite times of year! Big Bears have huge intestines - so if you gut one be mentally prepared! :-)

Another more important thing to note... even a well struck bear may not bleed too much as their hair works to clog up the wound pretty quick. Treat them like like bow hunters treat archery kills by waiting at least a half hour before starting to look, even on what you think was a good shot in the boiler room - gives them time to settle down, lay down, and bleed out. Any questionable shots wait much longer or run the risk of pushing and loosing your bear. If you have a well trained dog on a leash it will make your tracking MUCH easier.

KillerKlevis
02-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the help.
Hopefully ill have some pics to share!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Also, a lot of guys(including myself) try to keep shots on bears as close as possible. Personally, I try to keep it below 200yds. Let's face it...they're easier to get close to than most other species.

SSS