PDA

View Full Version : Crossfire vs. Diamondback

teleposer
02-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Was wondering if anyone has some experience comparing the 2 scopes from Vortex. They both seem to sit in the same area price wise was wondering what the difference really is.

Bit of background:

I am fairly new to the hunting game. Last year I had the chance to buy a Stevens model 200 in .300 win mag that came with the factory mounted Bushnell 3x9 scope. Although the scope has been seeming to hold zero for the few times I have shot it I am hoping to upgrade the scope. I have a 4 month old at home and work has been tough so the Crossfire or Diamond back seems to fit right into what I can afford right now. I can then throw the bushnell on my .35 rem to replace the simmons that a friend gave me.

I am hoping someone on here has some real world experience with either of these scopes on a higher calibre rifle.

Hoping this doesn't turn into a pissing match between the Leupold vs. bushnell crowd. Just want some opinions on these 2 Vortex scopes.

monasheemountainman
02-12-2013, 09:17 AM
i think leupold vs bushnell is a pretty lop sided pissing match. get the diamond back.

moosinaround
02-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I heard enough good things about Vortex scopes, I am putting one on my sons 300 win mag. Went with the Diamondback with the BDC reticle. Moosin

rcar
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I picked up a Diamondback as an interim scope when my Bushnell had to go into service (which took 4 months to get back!). I was really quite surprised how good it was for a fairly inexpensive scope. I ended up leaving it on the rifle and sold the Bushnell when it came back. One thing you may want to ask about if you decide on the less expensive Crossfire is how well it will hold up to the heavy recoil of your 300WM. Good Luck!

604redneck
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
The crossfire won't hold up too the recoil I have 2 diamondback scopes both great 1 on 30-06 1 on .300 win mag crossfire on the .223 never had a problem in 4 years

Badlands62
02-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Go with the Diamondback, great scope for the money. Saw them on for $209.00.

02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Vortex scopes vary from low end to very good, Crossfire and Diamondback being the lower end models, Vipers are the mid ranges models, and Razor are the top end models.
Crossfires start for under $200.00 while Razors go up as high as $2500.00. Crossfires are about equal to the low end Bushnells, Tasco, etc while Diamondbacks are about equivalent to the Bushnell 3200 Series. Vipers are in the same quality range as Leopold and Razors are as good as any high end scope made any place in Europe or North America. You get what you pay for but Diamondbacks will fill most hunting needs.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/riflescopes

teleposer
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys. I had already sort of made up my mind about the diamondback but I thought I would see what the opinions were since they were so close in price. Hoping to save enough pennies in the next month so I can get to the range and give it a run through before the April 1 black bear season.

Thanks again for the info and opinions.

Amphibious
02-17-2013, 06:52 AM
I have a Crossfire on my .22 and when compared directly to my bushnell 3200 on another .22, I'd rather have the vortex scopes. I've been in the Leupold camp a long time, but have started buying Vortex optics the last few years. very impressed with the value, and when you need warranty repair work done, their customer service is fast and excellent.

todbartell
02-17-2013, 09:13 PM
go Diamondback, it will be a more durable scope on a 300wm