PDA

View Full Version : squamish/cheakamus

Vancouver1234
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Hello everyone!
New to this forum, i was just wondering if you guys could give me some helpful advice on the squamish/cheakamus river for dolly varden and bull trout. I finally have a day off from school that i can get out there, the problem is i live so far away from that area (3 hours) that its hard to go out there and explore and figure out the river and actually get some fish (catch and release of course). I have been there a couple times with no luck, as it is a wide river i can never find out exactly where to fish and what to use. I know i am asking for a lot but could anyone share a spot they like on the river that is productive for bulls or dollys? i dont mind going into the upper squamish around the ashlu and what not either, beautiful country! I hate to ask for so much, its just a real long ways to get skunked. I understand if you dont want to post anything for everyone to see, feel free to inbox me if you have any spots you dont want to post.

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

biggyun68
02-12-2013, 06:46 AM
I have seen lots folks fishing the upper part around the Ashlu in the flats. There are lots of Channels in the flats. Afraid I have never fished it but have seen the fish jumping. I would recommend starting by exploring those flats.

ryanb
02-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Use a sculpin pattern with a heavy sink tip to get the fly near the bottom. Fish even current speed runs, about walking pace with bouldery bottoms. Cast out 30 degrees down stream, swing the fly to hang down. If you are in deep water on the hang down retrieve fairly slowly. Bulls will be found throughout both rivers, it's just a matter of having the right fly and technique.

hookedonblacktails
02-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Are you fishing with flies or gear? If it's gear try spinners (blue fox are great but expensive, or colorado blades which work well and are cheaper, you can make them yourself) or use spoons like crocs. If you're using flies... trade it in for gear. Just for the record I'm a devout fly fishermen but when it comes to fishing new water and trying to cover a bit of ground to find fish it's tough to match the efficiency of gear, don't handicap yourself right off the bat, you need to get your gear down to the bottom as fast as possible where the fish are.

Moe.JKU
02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
I am a big believer of jig fishing works for every type of fish, but if you don't have them or time to buy them use the above methods, not sure about bait ban or not up there as I don't usually make it that way.