PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunt Training Started Today!

Ltbullken
02-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Getting ready for sheep hunting, after all the season starts only 5 1/2 months from now. Went for an hour long uphill hike over varied terrain, and snow, with a 30 pound pack. Finished off with a couple sets of push ups and sit ups. Will try to do this about twice a week. 30 pounds seemed quite doable but I'll just take it slow as it is still 5 1/2 months. No sense in going out hard and hurting something. Playing hockey once or twice a week too. I want to increase the pack weight by about 10 pounds every couple weeks to get up to 70 or 80 pounds comfortably - if that's ever possible! Also got my range membership sorted out so got to get out shooting again. And maybe a griz hunt in the spring with my buddy for some more conditioning!

Ry151
02-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Im with ya buddy. I have the same plan. Best of luck

snareman1234
02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Never ends for some of us. Hiking hard with weight year-round!

keoke
02-09-2013, 10:43 PM
I loaded up the backpack and went for a walk, did I ever feel out of shape! When I got home I hopped on the scale and turns out my bag had 25 lbs more than I thought. Ended up being 65lbs.

Bc Deer Hunter
02-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Im with you guys, started running, hiking with a loaded pack, and working out for the last 2 month's in preparation for next season.. Already have put on a bit muscle mass and feel really good!! Watch out elk ;)

Buck
02-10-2013, 05:53 AM
me to started about 3 weeks ago

02-10-2013, 06:41 AM
I've worked my way up to a 70lb bag with four cases of water and a couple extra. The trail I do is 4.5km and I'm lucky enough to not work in the winter so I'm at it almost everyday. Never quite sure what some people think when I answer their question about what are you getting ready for.

Who's looking for a stone hunting partner? Shoot me a pm

Rob
02-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Ive been helping a buddy out doing pre harvest work, so lots of snowshoeing and pulling snowmobiles from being stuck lol. Seen a clip on a guy who puts full water bottles in his pack for weight going up hill then dumps them out on the trip down so its easier on his knees. something to consider..

hunter1993ap
02-10-2013, 08:33 AM
how hard is this on your knees hiking around with a loaded pack all year? my training normaly consists of some hard hikes, and biking/running. when the fall comes i strap on my pack and i'm good to go. i also dont really get in bad shape as i'm doing things all year like shed hunting or just hiking. .