PDA

View Full Version : Bowhunting Geese on the 11th?

Lozzie
02-09-2013, 08:38 PM
I would like to try flinging an arrow or two at some geese this opening monday (if I can't put something together with friends with decoys). Just wondering if anyone can give me a line on some private property on the south island where I can discreetly try to dispatch some geese with the bow. Any takers send me a PM

lorneparker1
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
No replies.

Thats weird.

Lorne

Lozzie
02-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Pm's don't show up on the thread.

Lozzie

lorneparker1
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I know.. bet they were just pouring in with thier private spots. lol

Lorne

Lozzie
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I suppose I should have mentioned I was looking for properties one couldn't normally hunt with a shotgun. You would be surprised how many small acreage owners are tormented by geese shitting all over the yards their kids play in. I had a guy from Youbou who went to get a nuisance permit so I could shoot a few, he said they hang around all year long. 5 acres is not enough room the shotgun when there are neighbours around but totally doable with the bow. Just saying.

Ian F.
02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Please do make sure that you're set up for pass through shots. I know you'll loose more arrows, but the other side is a potentially wounded goose with an arrow in it all over the news!

f350ps
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Please do make sure that you're set up for pass through shots. I know you'll loose more arrows, but the other side is a potentially wounded goose with an arrow in it all over the news!
How would they not be pass throughs? K

field marshal
02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Lobbing them from 100yds. , Kelly???:mrgreen:----Cheers----Field Marshal.

f350ps
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Lobbing them from 100yds. , Kelly???:mrgreen:----Cheers----Field Marshal.
Oh ya, never thought of that! :) K

lorneparker1
02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbc-news/48813118#48813118

lots of stuff if you google " goose shot with arrow"

Love when people refer to them as canadian geese though.

f350ps
02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbc-news/48813118#48813118

lots of stuff if you google " goose shot with arrow"

Love when people refer to them as canadian geese though.
We're having a serious discussion here! K

Ian F.
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
How would they not be pass throughs? Kguess you aren't too familiar with bowhunting for birds, flu flu,s or Zwicky grabbers/stoppers. Those chasing turkey want to have the arrow in the bird to restrict its flight/movement

f350ps
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
guess you aren't too familiar with bowhunting for birds, flu flu,s or Zwicky grabbers/stoppers. Those chasing turkey want to have the arrow in the bird to restrict its flight/movement
So how is this relevent to what you were saying about complete pass throughs. If it's legal to shoot geese with a bow then what's the issue, I've sent lots of geese on crash and burns into subdivisions, highways and what not, how is this different? Do these foo foos or gob stoppers guarantee that the bird is staying put? K

field marshal
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Ha ha! Me too Kelly! Had a goose crash into a wire fence once, hanging there like Christ on the cross? Dead as a doornail!!:mrgreen:
Thankfully the woman had gone to work,otherwise she was a real bunny hugger and would have had a real shit storm going?
Cheers----Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
02-16-2013, 12:24 AM
I think Ian's talking about having a goose walk around a park after being shot with a bow and being still alive. You can't see a goose that's been hit by shot for the most part but an arrow through a non vital body part will raise a lot of attention.

f350ps
02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
I think Ian's talking about having a goose walk around a park after being shot with a bow and being still alive. You can't see a goose that's been hit by shot for the most part but an arrow through a non vital body part will raise a lot of attention.
I think yer missing my point, Ian said to ensure that the OP sets up to ensure complete pass throughs. As with any type of hunting, there's no guarantees, if its legal and he's taking shots at distances he's comfortable with whats the problem? K

Ian F.
02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Nothing to do with what is or isn't legal. A goose walking or flying around with an arrow in it harms us all beyond repair.

f350ps
02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Nothing to do with what is or isn't legal. A goose walking or flying around with an arrow in it harms us all beyond repair.
So other than making it illegal to hunt waterfowl with a bow tell me how you can prevent that from ever happening. I totally get what your saying and agree with you that it's not cool but tell me how to prevent it as I have never shot a bow so educate me please! K

Lozzie
02-16-2013, 08:36 PM
All this talk about Geese flying way with your arrow being bad press has got me thinking. The only ethical solution is to hunt geese with a bow fishing rig, that way if the broadhead doesn't do its job and the bird flies away with your arrow you simply reel this ******* in. That way if there is any camera toting looky-lou's they will probably just think you're flying a very unorthodox kite. ;)

Ian F.
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
So other than making it illegal to hunt waterfowl with a bow tell me how you can prevent that from ever happening. I totally get what your saying and agree with you that it's not cool but tell me how to prevent it as I have never shot a bow so educate me please! K
Already did

f350ps
02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Already did

Okay then, it must be the gospel then!! I googled Zwicky grabber and got dick all and the flu flu doesn't seem like something I would use on geese but what do I know? If you can't answer my question then just don't respond, I'm sure someone in the know will pipe up. K

kyleklassen
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
can't we end this right now with a simple anything on the water side of the road around cowichan lake is a NO SHOOTING AND A NO HUNTING AREA. ....done....why did this get this far?

shotgunjohn
02-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Cause you can still get a nuisance permit even if it's usually a no hunting zone and no shooting means no guns. All of the geese /ducks that make the news with arrows in them seem to me to be shot with target points.Using a good two blade broadhead and a heavy enough arrow should avoid the arrow in live bird problem. It would get expensive, but hey, iff you want to do it bad enough.

Ron.C
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Cause you can still get a nuisance permit even if it's usually a no hunting zone and no shooting means no guns. All of the geese /ducks that make the news with arrows in them seem to me to be shot with target points.Using a good two blade broadhead and a heavy enough arrow should avoid the arrow in live bird problem. It would get expensive, but hey, iff you want to do it bad enough.

agree 100% with John. Same goes for urban deer with crossbow bolts/arrows in them. In most occassions its field points.

like he said, use a good broadhead/arrow, practice, and go have some fun.

f350ps
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks John, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Like with any weapon, there's no guarantees where the critter is going to die, but I think with a broadhead a goose would bleed out pretty quick. Thanks! K

Ambush
02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
It depends on how serious you are and how much money you are willing to spend for your fun.

If you want to KILL geese/ducks then use a large three or four blade breadhead. The bird should be facing directly away or toward you. Shoot for the base of the neck. A little high and you break his neck, a little low you get lungs/spine. Resist the temptation to shoot broadside shots unless you KNOW where the vitals on a goose are. Don't use flu-flu's, they slow the arrow to much and rob accuracy.
Restrict yourself to the range that you can hit a tennis ball, most times.
Put up with losing a few arrows.
If you're real serious ,spend the money, buy Gobbler Guillotines and take neck shots.

If you want to see some graffic bird kills, google "gobbler guillotine kill shots" The heads roll to music! :-D