PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunt Not To Far Away..

hunter1947
02-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Won't be to long till you can turkey hunt once again ,,I think this year when out shed hunting I will try to call a turkey in ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrVWqY6eK0

Moose63
02-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi H47

Didn't see anything in your video:confused:

hunter1947
02-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi H47

Didn't see anything in your video:confused:

I was not hunting for turkeys on this day was shed hunting heard a turkey call so I called back to it ,, this thread is just a reminder not to far away till you can hunt turkey once again..

jtred
02-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I can hardly wait. I've had some time off due to surgery so I've been practising my calling while everybody is out of the house. I have a few spots from last year in mind so it's just a matter of April 15 coming around. Except for a large flock on private land where the company I work for is building I haven't seen too many birds around. Given how mild it has been this winter and the large number of birds that were around last fall we should see some good numbers this spring. Can't wait to heal up and get out on the snowshoes and find out how the flocks are really doing.

ScoobaSteve
02-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Which call are you using in the video? I usually use a scratch pad and I can make a call similar to that but not quite the same.

.300WSMImpact!
02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I have four days booked off and am ready to go, as always I am excited! cant wait I hope the fiance gets one this year

300H&H
02-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I have four days booked off and am ready to go, as always I am excited! cant wait I hope the fiance gets one this year

Maybe I will get to see you over there this spring. We should be in the "same" area.
Have you been practicing since last years seminar ?

huntwriter
02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Been looking forward to turkey hunting season ever since deer season closed. :) Heading south of the border to help an outfitter friend guiding turkey hunters, followed by trade show seminars (all about turkey hunting and calling. Talk about getting fired up :)). This leaves me with a few days to go turkey hunting for myself here in BC, taking a novice turkey hunter with me this year. That should be fun.

Gateholio
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Hopefully the 17 WSM rimfire cartridge and rifle will show up in time for turkey season! :)

Salty
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
A 17? That'll just bounce off a turkey. lol

ruger#1
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
A 17? That'll just bounce off a turkey. lol I'am thinking the turkey is going to explode with a body shot. Maybe all thats left is the feathers. A cloud of them.

Salty
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Dude, its a rimfire. It'll bounce right off.

hunter1947
02-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Which call are you using in the video? I usually use a scratch pad and I can make a call similar to that but not quite the same.

I was using a double reed Larry Jones call.

.300WSMImpact!
02-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Maybe I will get to see you over there this spring. We should be in the "same" area.
Have you been practicing since last years seminar ?

yes I still don't feel my calls are great but seems to fool the turkeys so I can't complain, yes we will have to find each other for a beer

E.V.B.H.
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Dude, its a rimfire. It'll bounce right off.
Even a 17 hmr will kill a turkey at over 200 yds. A 17 wsm should be good out to 300.

huntwriter
02-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Even a 17 hmr will kill a turkey at over 200 yds. A wsm should be good out to 300.

This is just for information to new turkey hunters.

While it is legal in BC to hunt turkeys with rimfire and centerfire rifles the following should to be taken into consideration.

1. Shooting at a turkey with a centerfire rifle at 200 yards is a very small target and even smaller at 300 yards. Sure you could shoot a turkey in the chest, instead of the head the traditional kill zone, and in the course of it ruin half of the best meat on a bird. ;)

2. The most important aspect of using rifles on turkeys is the safety aspect. Never shoot at a turkey with a rifle from any distance that you, or your partner, has NOT called in. Road hunting and Bushwhacking turkeys, as most rifle hunters do, is very dangerous. If you see a turkey you HAVE to assume always that that bird is responding to a hunter calling. There is NO sure way of telling where that hunter might have set up and by shooting at that bird you are liable to shoot in the direction where the hunter is located.

Each year during my turkey hunting seminars here in BC I am approached by hunters telling me that they have been shot at by other hunters, most of these shooters apparently use a rifle. Three years ago I shared a hunting camp with a few others from the LM. The second day one of the hunters came back, packed his bags and left. Later he told me that the reason he left so soon was because he felt not safe. That day he had been shot at not ones but twice by another hunter "shooting with a rifle from way down the road at my bird." Lucky for him the bullets whizzed by him and hit trees (I went later to the location and have seen the bullet impact on the trees. One of them passed the hunter by about 3 feet.), but it easily could have ended very differently.

Turkey hunting is a CLOSE RANGE affair, and the reason for that is HUNTER SAFETY.

If you're new to this exiting turkey hunting adventure and would like to learn more ask an experienced turkey hunter for advice. There are a few here that are very willing to share the knowledge and expertise with others. One of them that comes readily to mind is 300H&H, a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic turkey hunter.

Hope you all have successful, and above all safe, turkey hunting season.

EDIT:

E.V.B.H. and Ruger#1 are correct. Grouse and Ptarmigan only can be shot with Centrefire rifles, NOT turkeys. Turkeys can be shot with Rimfire rifles. Which makes the case for close shots, at the 25 to 30 yards range, even more important. Thanks for alerting me to that mistake.

E.V.B.H.
02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Huntwriter, I personally bow hunt for turkey, sorry wasn't trying to promote long distance shots at turkeys, just saying that a 17 rim fire has the power to kill them. Also centrefire rifles are not allowed for turkey, but are for grouse and ptarmigan.

ruger#1
02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Othmar. I think you can not use center fire for turkeys.

nelsonob1
02-13-2013, 09:52 PM
I am new to Turkey hunting and would appreciate some advice on whether it would be better to use my 20 gauge or a .22lr? I am going to be hunting from a ground blind.

.300WSMImpact!
02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
I would use a 12 gauge these birds are tough to get close, and very hardy I don't give them any chance to get away

Gateholio
02-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Even a 17 hmr will kill a turkey at over 200 yds. A 17 wsm should be good out to 300.

300 yards is getting out there for a headshot on a turkey even with the 17WSM, but I suppose at that distance the velocity would be tapering off and a body shot wouldn't ruin much meat. Never tired it so I can't say.

I've hunted turkeys with calls and decoys and shotguns and it's lots of fun. It's very exciting having calling in a gobbler and have him right in front of your nose! Due to the limited distribution of turkeys in BC, most of us won't want to dive head first into it as we might only get a chance to hunt them every few years. That being the case, I'd rather grab an accurate magnum rimfire rifle and head out to spot and stalk them, or even road hunt them like grouse. Not saying I wouldn't pack a shotgun and some calls, too, but I see wild turkey as a good excuse to get out and have fun and then share a big turkey dinner with friends more than anything.

Safety is a concern in all hunting, just don't shoot the other guy! :) A number of US states allow rimfire and centerfire rifles for turkeys and BC has always allowed rimfires for turkey hunting. Most of the turkey hunting injuries seem to come from shotguns though.

huntwriter
02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I am new to Turkey hunting and would appreciate some advice on whether it would be better to use my 20 gauge or a .22lr? I am going to be hunting from a ground blind.

Given a choice, for me it would be hands down the 20 gauge shotgun. It's on the lower end as far as turkey shotguns go but with a designated load like Federal Premium Mag-Shok Lead High Velocity (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=835) you should get the job done with confidence. Important is to pattern the gun well to achieve a consistent tight pellet pattern from 10 to 30 yards.

As .300WSMImpact pointed out. Turkeys are though birds and in addition provide a to small of a lethal target area (Head and spinal column) to mess around with a .22 caliber rimfire.

nelsonob1
02-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Thx Othmar, i will follow your advice.

E.V.B.H.
02-14-2013, 07:50 AM
I agree that three hundred is to far to be an ethical shot. Again though I wasn't trying to promote that shot, just that the 17 rim fire caliber of any make has the power to those distances. The best thing about turkey hunting is definitely calling and the response. Turkeys can be very vocal, it's almost like a mini elk hunt! I bow hunt them from a blind every spring (and have never shot one) but every time I have gone I have had response to my calls. We see them sometimes but they seem to like hanging out at 75 to 100 yards. I am lucky enough to only have to drive about 20 min so I hunt them most weekends. If you have limited time this is were the 17 shines. Still get them in close by calling but reach out a little past shotgun or bow range. First time a turkey gobbles close to you it almost makes you laugh out loud. It such a loud almost silly sounding call.

boxhitch
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
This is just for information to new turkey hunters.

While it is legal in BC to hunt turkeys with rimfire and centerfire rifles the following should to be taken into consideration.

1. Shooting at a turkey with a centerfire rifle at 200 yards is a very small target and even smaller at 300 yards. Sure you could shoot a turkey in the chest, instead of the head the traditional kill zone, and in the course of it ruin half of the best meat on a bird. ;)

2. The most important aspect of using rifles on turkeys is the safety aspect. Never shoot at a turkey with a rifle from any distance that you, or your partner, has NOT called in. Road hunting and Bushwhacking turkeys, as most rifle hunters do, is very dangerous. If you see a turkey you HAVE to assume always that that bird is responding to a hunter calling. There is NO sure way of telling where that hunter might have set up and by shooting at that bird you are liable to shoot in the direction where the hunter is located.

Each year during my turkey hunting seminars here in BC I am approached by hunters telling me that they have been shot at by other hunters, most of these shooters apparently use a rifle. Three years ago I shared a hunting camp with a few others from the LM. The second day one of the hunters came back, packed his bags and left. Later he told me that the reason he left so soon was because he felt not safe. That day he had been shot at not ones but twice by another hunter "shooting with a rifle from way down the road at my bird." Lucky for him the bullets whizzed by him and hit trees (I went later to the location and have seen the bullet impact on the trees. One of them passed the hunter by about 3 feet.), but it easily could have ended very differently.

Turkey hunting is a CLOSE RANGE affair, and the reason for that is HUNTER SAFETY.

If you're new to this exiting turkey hunting adventure and would like to learn more ask an experienced turkey hunter for advice. There are a few here that are very willing to share the knowledge and expertise with others. One of them that comes readily to mind is 300H&H, a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic turkey hunter.

EDIT:

E.V.B.H. and Ruger#1 are correct. Grouse and Ptarmigan only can be shot with Centrefire rifles, NOT turkeys. Turkeys can be shot with Rimfire rifles. Which makes the case for close shots, at the 25 to 30 yards range, even more important. Thanks for alerting me to that mistake.Your story makes it sound like rifle use is common. I guess others are not up on the regs either.

And it is a BS reg too. Centerfire is ok for some but not all game birds? WTF ! Combo guns come in .22 hornet , .223 , and other suitable rounds , for a good reason.

sawmill
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Seems odd that a guy named Hunterwriter just found out that you can`t use a center fire on Turks.
And in the fall it`s bow or shotgun only.No rimfire.At least in region 4.
And Othmar gives turkey seminars.Hmmmmmm:confused:

The Dawg
02-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Seems odd that a guy named Hunterwriter just found out that you can`t use a center fire on Turks.

:) :) :) :)

Gateholio
02-14-2013, 04:56 PM
First time a turkey gobbles close to you it almost makes you laugh out loud. It such a loud almost silly sounding call.

Agree completely! I almsot started laughing when one was closing in on me. Then it snuck behind me and was RIGHT THERE behind the tree I was leaning against, and let out a huge gobble. I didn't know he was so close and almost crapped myself! :)

Singleshotneeded
02-14-2013, 05:27 PM
I've shot a few turkeys, the first one with #6 heavy game loads from a 12 gauge, about 40 yards...had to chase and shoot it again.
The second turkey I'd switched to a 2 oz. 3" 12 gauge turkey load with #5 shot, X-full choke, and at 36 yards it dropped like a sack of spuds. Much better! If you're using a shotgun I'd recommend a turkey X-full choke and 3" turkey loads in #5 shot, with a 12 gauge.
The third turkey I sniped in the upper chest at 140 yards with my .17 HMR, using 20 grain hunting ammo. A bit of flopping and that
was it, but I wasn't expecting any issues because at 150 yards the .17 HMR 20 grain still has a bit over 100 ft-lbs of energy. Though
in terms of trajectory a 200 yard shot isn't a problem, I'd be a bit concerned that 75 ft-lbs of energy might be getting a bit light.
Haven't tried it, but I've read some reviews online saying that the .17 is a bit weak at around 200 yards on prairie dogs...they said
you should keep the shots down to 150 yards or less... Anyone snipe a turkey at 200? :-)
Looking forward to the turkey season!

E.V.B.H.
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I have seen gophers shot at well over two hundred and it makes a mess. I wasn't there when it happened but my next door neighbour shot a turkey at what he guessed to be about 220-230 yards (no rangefinder though).

Singleshotneeded
02-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Good to know! If a .17 makes a mess out of a gopher at well over 200 yds it should be fine to use on a turkey out to 200...
and even if your neighbour was off a bit it would still be around 200 yards. I use the 20 grain hunting bullet, it expands when
it hits meat and doesn't just explode apart like the 17 grain, which is very frangible. I'd use the 17 grain on rodents I wasn't
going to eat. Thanks for the info! :-)

huntwriter
02-14-2013, 06:49 PM
We see them sometimes but they seem to like hanging out at 75 to 100 yards.
If a turkey hangs up it means that something is wrong in the way the hunter sets up. The typical scenarios are:
The tom responds to your calling but can’t see the hen where he expects her to be. He knows instantly that something is wrong and hangs up.
A barrier blocks the tom from approaching closer. Such barriers can be real or in the imagination of the gobbler.
Another scenario could be that there are hens closer to the tom then where you’re calling from. In this case he still will investigate your calls but hangs up because he doesn’t want to stray too far away from the hens.
I’ve written an article (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/hunting_tips/articles/Turkey/Not_Quite_Close_Enough.html) on this subject for the Canada’s Outdoor Sportsman magazine in which I highlight the various scenarios that make gobblers hang up and how to overcome the problem. Hope it helps you too.

Your story makes it sound like rifle use is common. I guess others are not up on the regs either.
Unfortunately that is the case, especially in areas with good numbers of turkeys. I use to hunt in an area where I’ve observed several hunters – and reported – at various locations and times shooting turkey hens during the spring season with rifles. One of them when I questioned him said: “We hate these f----g birds and kill them wherever and whenever we see them.”

And Othmar gives turkey seminars.Hmmmmmm

I never looked it up before because I KNEW that turkey hunting is legal with shotguns and bows in BC, and since I ONLY use shotguns or bows I had no need to look it up.
In my turkey hunting seminars and courses I don’t cover the options of using rifles of any kind for turkey hunting and the few times I was asked about it I was able to convince the person to use the superiority of the shotguns v. rifles.
While it is perfectly legal here in BC and some US states to use rimfire and centerfire rifles I discourage the use of these for turkey hunting wherever and whenever I have the opportunity to do so.

huntwriter
02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
If you're using a shotgun I'd recommend a turkey X-full choke and 3" turkey loads in #5 shot, with a 12 gauge.

Because this choke and load combination works in your gun is no certainty that it will work well for other guns too. Each gun is different. When I used 3" with #5 shot pushed through a X-full turkey choke the pattern was so tight that it would have decapitated the turkey at 30 yards. In my gun (Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel) Federal Premium Wing-Shok Magnum 3" shells with #4 shot pushed through a full choke creates the perfect pellet pattern that I need.

That's why it is important to work a load (using different brands and load configurations) and choke combination up on the range to find the perfect load/choke combination that creates a pellet pattern which consistently delivers a tight and even pellet spread from 10 yards out to 30 yards. A consistent pattern means an even pellet spread without holes at any distance and at least 6 pellets in the kill zone (brain and spinal column). To pattern a turkey shotgun only use life sized turkey head targets. Here is an article (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/hunting_tips/articles/Turkey/Detailing_Your_Turkey_Shotgun.html) that explains in detail how to turn an ordinary shotgun into a repayable turkey killing gun.

boxhitch
02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I use to hunt in an area where I’ve observed several hunters – and reported – at various locations and times shooting turkey hens during the spring season with rifles.why report them ?

huntwriter
02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
why report them ?
It's illegal to kill turkey hens during the spring hunting season.

Krico
02-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Othmar - as a beginner turkey hunter I enjoy and appreciate your articles, tips and tricks. Please keep posting. I am trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I've been turkey hunting twice and got lucky with the help of a friend the first time out. Last year I got to experience just how hard it is to get those birds in close...so have been reading and watching as much turkey hunting material as I can find, and practicing my calling daily already. I will be out there for opening week again this year, hopefully a little more knowledgeable and better at calling.

300H&H
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
yes I still don't feel my calls are great but seems to fool the turkeys so I can't complain, yes we will have to find each other for a beer

Sounds like a plan to get a beer and maybe some nachos. I will be heading to the same area as you this year. If you want we can always meet soon and discuss the area.

Thank you Othmar,thats very kind of you to say that. As always if a member needs some info or help, just PM me.

Be nice, I am sure it is just a typo.
And his seminars are very informative & fun.

hunter1947
02-17-2013, 04:09 AM
When I am out shed hunting when turkey season is open I hear a turkey call I answer it back he calls back again what then ???? fill me in ..

.300WSMImpact!
02-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I usually look for a spot to set up, a vantage point with good cover, then I change my calls to a various of hen calls (I am sure hunt writer or 300H&H could explain the call names better) and almost every time if the wind is right they make there way to me, sometimes it takes an hour or so and they may go quiet but they usually are not far. Wayne once you get into turkey hunting you will find its a lot like elk it may take you away from shed hunting for a week or two

.300WSMImpact!
02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=300H&H;1289772]Sounds like a plan to get a beer and maybe some nachos. I will be heading to the same area as you this year. If you want we can always meet soon and discuss the area.

ya for sure a few other friends from here are planning on going out there too, I am going out with the camper and will set up on a logging road

300H&H
02-17-2013, 12:04 PM
There are just 57 days until opening morning.

Gobble...cluck...purr

.300WSMImpact!
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
There are just 57 days until opening morning.

Gobble...cluck...purr

see thats my technique

Singleshotneeded
02-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Because this choke and load combination works in your gun is no certainty that it will work well for other guns too. Each gun is different. When I used 3" with #5 shot pushed through a X-full turkey choke the pattern was so tight that it would have decapitated the turkey at 30 yards. In my gun (Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel) Federal Premium Wing-Shok Magnum 3" shells with #4 shot pushed through a full choke creates the perfect pellet pattern that I need.

That's why it is important to work a load (using different brands and load configurations) and choke combination up on the range to find the perfect load/choke combination that creates a pellet pattern which consistently delivers a tight and even pellet spread from 10 yards out to 30 yards. A consistent pattern means an even pellet spread without holes at any distance and at least 6 pellets in the kill zone (brain and spinal column). To pattern a turkey shotgun only use life sized turkey head targets. Here is an article (http://www.othmarvohringer.com/hunting_tips/articles/Turkey/Detailing_Your_Turkey_Shotgun.html) that explains in detail how to turn an ordinary shotgun into a repayable turkey killing gun.

Othmar, have you tried the shell you mentioned with #5 shot? I agree that the X-full turkey choke will practically decapitate
a turkey at 30 yards, though at ranges closer to 40-45 yards it's nice to have...I like the longer range ability.
When patterning, I found the #5 shot an ideal compromise between weight/energy at distance and a lot of pellets in the shell
to make for a dense pattern...#6 I found to be a bit light for a longer shot on a turkey, and #4 shot had great energy but I
wasn't completely satisfied with the number of pellets in the pattern. Your thoughts?

Singleshotneeded
02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Turkey hanging up at 100 yards... gently lower shotgun, pick up HMR17, and nail that sucker! :-D
I went with 20 grain hunting bullets and I use a 4-12X40 AO scope...it didn't have a chance!

huntwriter
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Othmar, have you tried the shell you mentioned with #5 shot? I agree that the X-full turkey choke will practically decapitate
a turkey at 30 yards, though at ranges closer to 40-45 yards it's nice to have...I like the longer range ability.
When patterning, I found the #5 shot an ideal compromise between weight/energy at distance and a lot of pellets in the shell
to make for a dense pattern...#6 I found to be a bit light for a longer shot on a turkey, and #4 shot had great energy but I
wasn't completely satisfied with the number of pellets in the pattern. Your thoughts?

When I patterned my shotgun I've tried out at least 40 different combinations of various load brands, shell and pellet sizes and choke configurations. The one I use now in this gun works best for me.
I never shoot much beyond 35 yards and prefer it much closer, so around 20, 25 to 30 yards. For me the challenge is to plan a set up and device a calling sequence that brings the tom very close to me.

Personally I find #6 shot a bit meek too, but have to mention that I've seen many birds taken with that shot size. As I said in my previous post. Loads and choke combinations behave differently in different guns. When I originally patterned my turkey gun I started with #4 shot of one particular brand and they were all over the place no matter what choke and shell size combination I tried. I then moved on to a different ammo brand and after trying different choke tubes (including brand) hey presto 3" shells with #4 shot pushed through a full choke gave me the pattern I was looking for. Again, I have seen hunters pushing the same load through a extra full turkey choke and it worked fine. I have no idea why one and the same ammo/choke combination can behave very different from gun to gun but that exactly is my experience.

hunter1947
03-23-2013, 04:18 AM
Call any old way you can and yes you will get a return call back from a gobbler LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJdvsj4OCI

.300WSMImpact!
03-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Call any old way you can and yes you will get a return call back from a gobbler LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJdvsj4OCI

sounds like fun I cant wait for the action to begin

The Dawg
03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
I never looked it up before because I KNEW that turkey hunting is legal with shotguns and bows in BC, and since I ONLY use shotguns or bows I had no need to look it up.
In my turkey hunting seminars and courses I don’t cover the options of using rifles of any kind for turkey hunting and the few times I was asked about it I was able to convince the person to use the superiority of the shotguns v. rifles.
While it is perfectly legal here in BC and some US states to use rimfire and centerfire rifles I discourage the use of these for turkey hunting wherever and whenever I have the opportunity to do so..

Pay attention to 1:25 here then.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLC4B7GStBg

bcbrez
03-25-2013, 07:30 AM
300WSMImpact! & 300H&H, are you guys coming out my way again this year? If so let me know when. I'd join you for a beer for sure.

Also don't forget to check out the Turkey Contest thread guys and sign up.

300H&H
03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
300WSMImpact! & 300H&H, are you guys coming out my way again this year? If so let me know when. I'd join you for a beer for sure.

I am coming out, I just have not finalized if I will make opening morning or will have to wait for the weekend.
Still not familiar with the area so any help would be appreciated.
Dad is coming with me and he is slowing down (he is 79) so I have to find a spot not to far from the road and a very easy hike.
I'd love nothing better than to see him get his first tom.

Can you recommend a hotel/motel that is close by that we can stay in ? And a good place to eat ?

.300WSMImpact!
03-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I am coming out, I just have not finalized if I will make opening morning or will have to wait for the weekend.
Dad is coming with me and he is slowing down (he is 79) so I have to find a spot not to far from the road and a very easy hike.

Can you recommend a hotel/motel that is close by that we can stay in ? And a good place to eat ?

the Chinese food in Castelgar is a must!! we hit that at least one night, we will be camping in the bush and not hard to find us

.300WSMImpact!
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM

yep I am signed up with the fiance again, you definitely will have to find us for a beer, are you planning on shooting at the archery shoot?

OutWest
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Hey Rick, lots of turkeys out here in the 'Gar and without the chaos of Christina Lake. I'll fire you a pm this afternoon. Just winding down after a 26 hour travel day back from Mexico.

Brez
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
yep I am signed up with the fiance again, you definitely will have to find us for a beer, are you planning on shooting at the archery shoot?

Anyone going to be in the Castlegar area on Wednesdays - I just found out it's $4.99/20oz beer and 10 cent wings at 4 pm. Should give you time to have your birds cleaned and plucked and get all the ticks picked off.
Sounds like a good place to meet and let the B.S. fly.

Brez
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Anyone going to be in the Castlegar area on Wednesdays - I just found out it's $4.99/20oz beer and 10 cent wings at 4 pm. Should give you time to have your birds cleaned and plucked and get all the ticks picked off.

DUHH!! Forgot to say it's at the Element.

Nick270
03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Opens on my birthday lucky me

OutWest
03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
DUHH!! Forgot to say it's at the Element.

Nice and close. My backyard borders the Ministry Office.

.300WSMImpact!
03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I wont be there until thursday, I cant make your wednesday meeting,

300H&H
03-26-2013, 11:42 PM
the Chinese food in Castelgar is a must!! we hit that at least one night, we will be camping in the bush and not hard to find us

Thanks for the tip on Chinese, but the "bush" is a big place. You told me last year where you camp but since it is your spot I just put it out of my mind. I might go back the weekend you are there so if you want to, send me a PM and I will come by with the beer.

Hey Rick, lots of turkeys out here in the 'Gar and without the chaos of Christina Lake. I'll fire you a pm this afternoon. Just winding down after a 26 hour travel day back from Mexico.

Good to hear from you again. 26 Hour trip back from Mexico...did you walk ? lol
If you can point me in a good direction I would like to try a hunt in a different spot or two this spring.
What is "Gar" ?

Are the ticks out already ?

hunter1947
03-27-2013, 01:57 AM
The ticks are out I had two of them on me two weeks ago the ticks don't like first morning hours seams to be to cold for them I find that they like it better when the temperature gets a +5 degrees above freezing..

coach
03-27-2013, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=300H&H;1308978]
What is "Gar" ?[/QUOTE

It's all that's left now that the castle got torn down..:-D

Brez
03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=300H&H;1308978]
What is "Gar" ?[/QUOTE

Too funny!

OutWest
03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=300H&H;1308978]
What is "Gar" ?[/QUOTE

Our class got back into town at 3am and didn't even notice

hunter1947
03-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Out shed hunting for the last two days never heard any turkeys talking..

palmer
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
they were going crazy...early today.....but seemed to have lost interest in the midday sun....

bc_archer
03-28-2013, 05:52 PM
17 will do just fine on turkey since they work awesome on varmints

300H&H
03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
The ticks are out I had two of them on me two weeks ago the ticks don't like first morning hours seams to be to cold for them I find that they like it better when the temperature gets a +5 degrees above freezing..

I HATE TICKS !!!

[QUOTE=300H&H;1308978]
What is "Gar" ?[/QUOTE

Haha...I get it now.

Still...why do people have to talk in riddles ?

they were going crazy...early today.....but seemed to have lost interest in the midday sun....

You just let me know where they are and I will feed one of them a "lead bon bon".

hunter1947
03-29-2013, 03:42 AM
Yes turkeys are kind of like elk you get bulls calling in some areas and then not in others ,,same goes for turkeys from what I have seen in the past 3 years living here in the EK.....

Brez
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Anyone from "the 'Gar" or Trail areas, Nickroth and a couple of us are thinking of a pre-season brewsky get-together at a nearby watering hole to get things going and meet each other. anyone interested fire a pm and we'll see if we can agree on an evening after work/school.

palmer
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
I HATE TICKS !!!

[QUOTE=coach;1309026]

Haha...I get it now.

Still...why do people have to talk in riddles ?

You just let me know where they are and I will feed one of them a "lead bon bon".

hwy 395 and on the 8th hole of the Christina Lake Golf course...about 30 this morning with maybe 6 TOMS...

hunter1947
03-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Headed out for a 4 day shed hunt next week I will I will let all know if I hear any talking.

300H&H
03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=300H&H;1309670]I HATE TICKS !!!

[/U]hwy 395 and on the 8th hole of the Christina Lake Golf course...about 30 this morning with maybe 6 TOMS...

Would you please round them up and put them on hod for 16 days until I get there ?

hunter1947
04-07-2013, 05:00 AM
April 3 turkey calling back to me,,,,http://youtu.be/QanXOVjvRX0

hunter1947
04-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Called My first turkey in today,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTYb8w0zWNc

huntwriter
04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
hwy 395 and on the 8th hole of the Christina Lake Golf course...about 30 this morning with maybe 6 TOMS...

Every year I hunted in Christina Lake I've seen and heard toms on the golf course. The birds roost down in the river bottom across the river. Asked the golf course owner one year for permission to hunt. It's a no go. Asked around to hunt the river bottom on the golf course side and across the bridge on the other side, but was told that these areas are off limits to hunters.

haggis
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
well , this morning the mailman arrives and delivers to me a brand new to me 28" mosseberg barrel with chokes. So nephew and I head out up the hill I only had a couple cartridges of 2's and buck. . works great and just needs some stoning on those slides, been semi-retired for over a decade ;).

Plan is turkey spring and with turkey and pheasants later this year but I'll be happier if I had a full-x choke for turkey ... thoughts guys.... you can keep the weight loss stuff to a minimum thank you ;) ( gary-shawn inc.