PDA

View Full Version : Killed 4X4 Blacktail

lapadat
12-17-2006, 07:21 PM
I found this 4X4 Blacktail during a post season scouting hike this morning. (4th pt on left antler is hidden)

And yes Mark, despite your skepticism it is a Blacktailed Deer.

The teeth were well worn (nearly to the gums) and his right ear was missing a large triangle-shaped piece. Bear and coyote scat/tracks everywhere.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_874.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3947)

30-06
12-17-2006, 07:22 PM
nice lokin deer,,to bad someone didnt shoot it

ruger#1
12-17-2006, 07:24 PM
it still went to a good cause. it fed other animals , and then someone might of shot it and it got away from them. any ways it wasnt wasted.

~T-BONE~
12-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Matty I think i'm gonna have to give up my old ways and start following you around!!! :wink:Buddy :wink: Wow ! did you do figure out what killed it? Any broken ribs or holes in the shlder blades? (Shot and wounded) Cougar kill?
Not just speaking for myself.....But did you keep the rack?

JMac
12-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Nice old white face buck! Wasn't any cat sign around it was there? Those bones are picked clean of meat etc. and not crunched up like bears or yotes or wolves would do. Just a thought. Cats usually bury their kills but not always.

lapadat
12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
There were no broken ribs - so either a bow kill or possibly a bad rifle shot. The carcrass wasn't buried - so I would rule out a cat-kill.

The interesting thing is that there was a large amount of partially-digested forage (cud) in its mouth!! I've never heard of a deer puking up after being shot - so did it die while chewing its dinner?

It was found in prime winter range and from the scratches and marks on the antlers I'd guess it participated in the rut.

You are welcome to follow me around....blindfolded of course :)

bsa30-06
12-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Wow , something ate good.!!!

Tarp Man
12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Following Lapadat is a pretty good way to get into some keeper deer... as long as he remembers to remove your blindfold after whispering "look quickly, there is a huge blacktail just behind that tree!" Buck fever can do strange things to a guy...

Will
12-18-2006, 12:28 AM
- so I would rule out a cat-kill.
I wouldn't entirely rule out a Cat......often I've found a Kills that were definately Cats and were not "buried" They often won't go to great lengths to bury the carcuss if they are hanging close by, just a few sticks drug overtop like your pic shows. Of course other scavengers will find & dig up the Cat's stash as well.
A Cool find eitherway....Thanks for sharing the Pic8)

J_T
12-18-2006, 07:14 AM
How far from a highway. Could it have been hit by a vehicle?

JT

Husky7mm
12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Cool find Lap. Looks heavy. Did you keep the Rack? Wierd if a coyote or bear got it.
I might have to take you up on the following part on trade for some East kootnay action.(blindfolded also). Sure would like a 4point blacktail.....