PDA

View Full Version : Wolves on East Harrison Lake.

allan
02-06-2013, 09:59 PM
I've heard twice now from someone that they have seen or heard from the loggers there of two wolf sightings, (first being a single wolf taking a deer down, second of three wolves on another deer kill in almost the same spot), my hunting partner and I were up there in dec, and noticed the hot spots for deer was nil this year.
Has anyone else seen or heard of any more wolf activity in the area there this year?

Husky7mm
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
That would not surprise me in the least, already 9 yrs ago I saw a pack just across the other side of the range. They have been in pemberton for years too. Not far to travel for a wolf.

mungojeerie
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I haven't seen any up Harrison myself but the coquihalla isint far away and I've seen 2 monster wolves up there as well as lots of wolf tracks.

It's no joke when ppl say wolf numbers are up, everywhere I hunt in reg 3, 5 & 7A is packed with wolf sign. I never am presented with a shot though.

i was calling coyotes in reg 5 last year and got two quick glimpses of a big black wolf, my heart was racing cause I thought forsure I was going to get a shot in, but that was it never saw it again.

itsy bitsy xj
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Do you need a tag for wolves? Whats the season on them?

Trophyslayer
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Do you need a tag for wolves? Whats the season on them?
No tag needed but you must compulsory report in reg 2 and 4 maybe others I can't recall off the top of my head and all seasons are in the regs. wack em and stack em!!!!

Steeleco
02-06-2013, 11:12 PM
In the year of the big fires IIRC 08, a buddies sister was camping at 20 mile bay and was told to leave by the CO's because wolves had moved in from Pemberton/Lilloette area due to the fires. "They ere very aggrassive and could have been a threat to people and pets alike" they were told.

BiG Boar
02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
I too have heard there were numerous sightings up there for wolves this last month.

Dont get excited about hunting them though. They are CLOSED.

J_T
02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Until wolf packs are creeping into the neighbourhoods of Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Mission and swimming the river into Surrey the majority of people in the LML will support the protection of the wolf. Wolves. Are coming to a neighbourhood near you. Perhaps not soon enough. But they are coming.

tackdriver
02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
They have already moved into hatzic prarrie aswell. They are here but seldom seen.

The Dude
02-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Until wolf packs are creeping into the neighbourhoods of Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Mission and swimming the river into Surrey the majority of people in the LML will support the protection of the wolf. Wolves. Are coming to a neighbourhood near you. Perhaps not soon enough. But they are coming.

This might be a good thing for us in the long run.

Husky7mm
02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Stange they are given a foot hold until they have a strong presence...... by then their already causing a notable decline. The entire province should be NBL no closed season. They will increase regardless, but they may not "spread" as quick.

ruger#1
02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Until wolf packs are creeping into the neighbourhoods of Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Mission and swimming the river into Surrey the majority of people in the LML will support the protection of the wolf. Wolves. Are coming to a neighbourhood near you. Perhaps not soon enough. But they are coming. My hunting partner shot a wolf just out side of Deroche two years ago. He was fined $350.00. The game warden said it was over 100lbs. It was a fat dog for sure.

BigfishCanada
02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Seen one up near stave lake, on the floor under a guys pool table. Farmer shot a monster in his field up there and got a rug made out of it.

Wild one
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I know wolves are in stave and skagit. With wolf packs to the east, west, south, and north of east Harrison it does not shock me

TyTy
02-18-2013, 12:48 AM
I had a co worker show me picture of a black wolf pub up ruby creek this summer.

Also heard 7 elk (2 bulls, 5 cows) were released up west harrison. any truth to that does anyone know?

Spy
02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Also heard 7 elk (2 bulls, 5 cows) were released up west harrison. any truth to that does anyone know?[/QUOTE]
Sounds like this transplant will be feeding the wolves! What a waste of money, man hours,elk,bad planning,bad management all round fail. I agree there should be NO bag limit & no closed season,but even then hunters would not make a dent in the population.

Husky7mm
02-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Also heard 7 elk (2 bulls, 5 cows) were released up west harrison. any truth to that does anyone know?
Sounds like this transplant will be feeding the wolves! What a waste of money, man hours,elk,bad planning,bad management all round fail. I agree there should be NO bag limit & no closed season,but even then hunters would not make a dent in the population.[/QUOTE]
Hey be happy, those tranplants have done very well in very simalar country. Elk do much better around wolves than deer. If that tranplant is true you could have a season in 10 yrs. Lots of habitat and ffed back there.

olympia
02-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Sounds like this transplant will be feeding the wolves! What a waste of money, man hours,elk,bad planning,bad management all round fail. I agree there should be NO bag limit & no closed season,but even then hunters would not make a dent in the population.
Hey be happy, those tranplants have done very well in very simalar ;lasdfkjcountry. Elk do much better around wolves than deer. If that tranplant is true you could have a season in 10 yrs. Lots of habitat and ffed back there.[/QUOTE]

i agree with some of your post, but what do we do? nothing? attempted introduction is better than nothing...personally i think they should have released more elk out there and maybe even fund a program where they are "farmed" and released once the young are past the most vulnerable first months of life, kinda like the grizzly bear sanctuary on grouse mountain. I totally agree with nbl and no closed season(except summer, too many people out in the bush)

TyTy
02-25-2013, 09:06 PM
there is lots of elk country between harrison and pemberton, but no elk. not many wolves either really.

i would rather have more elk around region two and lots of wolves than neither. kinda go together, dont they....

i am super excited about that transplant. that will be the begining of the elk infestation of harrison.... awsome!!!

The Dude
02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
there is lots of elk country between harrison and pemberton, but no elk. not many wolves either really.

i would rather have more elk around region two and lots of wolves than neither. kinda go together, dont they....

i am super excited about that transplant. that will be the begining of the elk infestation of harrison.... awsome!!!

Not many Wolves in Pemberton.......some here may disagree....... Wolves are all over now, and a season shouldn't be long coming in R2.

Also, with the 16 Elk in West harrison, plus the large Indian Arm and Elaho/Squamish herds, Elk seen in Pitt Meadows (Dead bull), upper Pitt Lake, etc, plus Elk to the East.....there's no reason to think Elk haven't populated all over that area.

TyTy
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
im talking about there harrison-pemberton coordoor. I work throughout the all those places mentioned, and i have seen the least amount, almost no sign of wolves from SW harrison lake through to mystery creek and up to sloquet even. Im sure they are around, its just not polluted with em yet. cougars, coyotes and bob cats are a different story. bring the elk back and the wolves will come down.
buddy saw what he thought might have been an elk track in the back end of mystery cr.
pitt lake herd and squamish herds are robust now, trails pounded through those valleys, just like the island.

The Dude
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I think Moose are the greatest enablers of Wolves. If you see lots of them, Wolves ain't far behind. Lotsa Wolves in Squamish as well... Blacktail eaters.

blackbart
02-26-2013, 11:43 PM
In regards to the Harrison game numbers and species I am sure that a fella named Abe Dougan checks this site out and can let us know. No doubt he would be very happy to see elk around Harrison Lake.

BB

The Dude
02-27-2013, 12:50 AM
TyTy, I assume you're talking of the Lilloet River vally.....looks like a straight shot

endtimerwithabow
02-27-2013, 04:34 AM
no one trapping wolves this year?

The Dude
02-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Might wanna try the Wolf trapping threads......... sayin'....