PDA

View Full Version : Rifle transport through park

SeaScene
02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
I had an occasion to hunt lands next to a provincial park (no hunting in the park). The most direct route was to walk through the park as this park was a marine park and I was boating. It is legal to transport in a rifle in your vehicle through a park (not an option in this case) so the question: is it legal to walk with a rifle (in a case unloaded) through a park that prohibits hunting to get to a legal hunting area? .... thanks

itsy bitsy xj
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Good question.
I would think if its cased and you have a PAL it would be fine. What park is it you are going through?

Drillbit
02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Yikes. I'd ask the Parks guys on that one. A lot depends on what park.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Hmmmmmm....National Park definitely a "No". Provincial?? Not 100% sure....but I'm "guessing" transporting through would be okay.

SSS

itsy bitsy xj
02-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I know you can hunt in some provincal parks (chilliwack lake) so I would think you could walk through with it cased. Thats why I asked which park, if they have staff at the park during the open season you could ask them. Although they are only contractors that are hired to run the parks and may not know all the rules and just tell you can't as they don;t really know

SeaScene
02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
I know you can hunt in some provincal parks (chilliwack lake) so I would think you could walk through with it cased. Thats why I asked which park, if they have staff at the park during the open season you could ask them. Although they are only contractors that are hired to run the parks and may not know all the rules and just tell you can't as they don;t really know

The park is Roscoe Inlet on Redonda. I sent an email to parks. They replied with the regulation that stated a gun could be transported if in your vehicle. Pretty tough to drag along a 12 ton 36' steel sailboat.

SeaScene
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Here is my email:

From: "MacIver, Stephen FLNR:EX" <Stephen.MacIver@gov.bc.ca>
To: "'aguysailing@yahoo.ca'" <aguysailing@yahoo.ca>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:57:06 AM
Subject: RE: Hunting in Parks

Hello,
Thank you for your email dated January 16, 2012, regarding hunting in Desolation Sound and Roscoe Bay Marine Park and transporting firearms through parks. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.
Hunting is permitted within Desolation Sound Marine Park during the open season. A word search in the regulations found 2 Parks with the name “Roscoe”: Roscoe Bay Park and Ellerslie-Roscoe Conservancy. Hunting is not permitted in Roscoe Bay Park. Hunting is permitted in Ellerslie-Roscoe Conservancy during the open season.
Below are relevant sections from provincial parks legislation regarding firearms and parks:
Possession of firearms, bows and crossbows
28 No person shall possess a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park, conservancy or recreation area except
(a) a firearm , bow or crossbow that is carried in a vehicle,
(b) during an open season specified under the Wildlife Act in those parks, conservancies and recreation areas listed in Schedule B,
(c) in Columbia Lake Park between September 10 and June 15 of the following year, or
(d) as authorized by a park officer.
Discharge of firearms, bows and crossbows prohibited29 (1) No person shall discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park, conservancy or recreation area except
(a) during an open season specified under the Wildlife Act in those parks, conservancies and recreation areas listed in Schedule B and only for the purposes of hunting, or
(b) as authorized by a park officer.
(2) Except as authorized by a park officer, no person shall hunt or discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park, conservancy or recreation area within 400 metres of either side of the centreline of a park road or highway.

Schedule B (underlined above) are parks where the discharge of firearms are permitted; for example Desolation Sound is listed in Schedule B and Roscoe Bay Park is not.

Regards,

http://ca.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f2%5f3822%5fAIXTimIAAKA8UP hWbAJDi2Hz3a0&pid=2.2&fid=Prospecting&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeoStephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

From: Gary Prebble [mailto:aguysailing@yahoo.ca (aguysailing@yahoo.ca)]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:53 AM
To: Fish and Wildlife FLNR:EX
Subject: Hunting in Parks

Apparently hunting is permitted in Desolation Sound Park. Does this include Roscoe Bay Marine Park?

Also: If I need to walk across a park to a legal hunting area what are the requirements for transport of a hunting rifle across park lands.?

... thank you

Drillbit
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
The park is Roscoe Inlet on Redonda. I sent an email to parks. They replied with the regulation that stated a gun could be transported if in your vehicle. Pretty tough to drag along a 12 ton 36' steel sailboat.

If it was cased (out of sight), could a game cart count as a vehicle? What is their definition of vehicle?

I've had a few run-in's in BC parks, you really need to know about the specific park you're in, because the Park Ranger might not know. I see that park is a no hunting park. You might be out of luck.

coach
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
The letter states "except as authorized by a park officer". It might be a good idea to speak with a park officer to see if (s)he can give you the authorization you need to transport your firearm through the park.

Drillbit
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
What about a takedown rifle (like a blr) in a back-pack? Is it still a firearm if it's disassembled?

SeaScene
02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Anyone know a co out there? Maybe get an opinion. I will see what I can come up with....

.330 Dakota
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
What about a takedown rifle (like a blr) in a back-pack? Is it still a firearm if it's disassembled?
Any item that can be assembled without tools to launch a projectile over a speed of 500fps is a firearm,,I read that somewhere, cant remember where, but I do know it to be true

BillyBull
02-07-2013, 08:07 PM
There have been various articles in BC outdoors or Western Sportsmen over the past years that when crossing through park to get to a hunting zone you needed to have your firearm unloaded and cased or dismantled. Most attached onto the packs to cased/unloaded while walking through... but as many have said best to get a CO and Park Ranger for where your going to confirm the access options.

goatdancer
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Anyone know a co out there? Maybe get an opinion. I will see what I can come up with....

Check out the 'what a waste' post. There was a CO posting there who was willing to answer questions.

squamishhunter
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Just go through, you have all the required paperwork.

1/2 slam
02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Just go through, you have all the required paperwork.

No he doesn't.

Contact a park officer and see about getting permission to transport it through. Without that you are sh&t out of luck.

Drillbit
02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Any item that can be assembled without tools to launch a projectile over a speed of 500fps is a firearm,,I read that somewhere, cant remember where, but I do know it to be true

Benelli R1 needs a 7/16 or 11mm wrench to dis & re-assemble:)

coach
02-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Contact a park officer and see about getting permission to transport it through.

There's that... Or.. Go on the Internet. Get a bunch of opinions.. Print them off and take them with you..

The Dude
02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
There's that... Or.. Go on the Internet. Get a bunch of opinions.. Print them off and take them with you..

CLASSIC! Acceptable in Court also!

hunter1947
02-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Rifle transport through park
I had an occasion to hunt lands next to a provincial park (no hunting in the park). The most direct route was to walk through the park as this park was a marine park and I was boating. It is legal to transport in a rifle in your vehicle through a park (not an option in this case) so the question: is it legal to walk with a rifle (in a case unloaded) through a park that prohibits hunting to get to a legal hunting area? ..

Answer is no if you walk through a park with a gun it will be considered hunting if you are caught by a CO you will be fined ,, driving through is ok as long as the gun is locked up and put away the bullets in a different place in your car or truck..

SeaScene
02-09-2013, 10:02 AM
.... that is the official opinion so far from parks folks. I have since sent an email to Conservation Officer contact address... thanks for the replies and I will post any futher info received.

Rifle transport through park

I had an occasion to hunt lands next to a provincial park (no hunting in the park). The most direct route was to walk through the park as this park was a marine park and I was boating. It is legal to transport in a rifle in your vehicle through a park (not an option in this case) so the question: is it legal to walk with a rifle (in a case unloaded) through a park that prohibits hunting to get to a legal hunting area? ..

Answer is no if you walk through a park with a gun it will be considered hunting if you are caught by a CO you will be fined ,, driving through is ok as long as the gun is locked up and put away the bullets in a different place in your car or truck..

SeaScene
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Finally heard from BC gov't regarding transporting gun through a park (as follows)...

MacIver, Stephen FLNR:EX <Stephen.MacIver@gov.bc.ca>

Feb 22 (4 days ago)http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/cleardot.gif

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/cleardot.gif

to me

Hello Gary,
Thank you for your email dated February 7, 2013, regarding hunting in Desolation Sound and Roscoe Bay Marine Park and transporting firearms through parks. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.
Below are relevant sections from provincial parks legislation regarding firearms and parks:
Possession of firearms, bows and crossbows
28 No person shall possess a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park, conservancy or recreation area except
(a) a firearm , bow or crossbow that is carried in a vehicle,
(b) during an open season specified under the Wildlife Act in those parks, conservancies and recreation areas listed in Schedule B,
(c) in Columbia Lake Park between September 10 and June 15 of the following year, or
(d) as authorized by a park officer.
Schedule B (underlined above) are parks where the possession and discharge of firearms are permitted. Roscoe Bay Park is not listed in Schedule B. The only legal option to possess a firearm within Roscoe Bay Park is either to carry it in a vehicle or obtain authorization by a park officer.

Regards,

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/?ui=2&ik=57b95fbda0&view=att&th=13d04618f47c3427&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767 (tel:%28250%29%20387-9767)|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

Drillbit
02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
So there's a chance!

Just have to obtain permission from the Park officer.....anybody ever dealt with that? Shouldn't be a problem, but who knows