PDA

View Full Version : Electronic calls for 'yotes?

albravo2
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Does anybody have experience with electronic calls for coyotes? I've done retail research and some are pretty cheap, others pretty expensive.

Is louder better? When I've tried to use my lanyard calls it seems really unnatural and forced when the volume gets much past regular conversation volume.

Last, is the battery powered whirly-twirly feather 'decoy' any better than a feather tied to a string?

Any advice appreciated.

Gateholio
02-05-2013, 10:47 PM
I've used a Foxpro for years, they are awesome. Best part is that you can put the source of the sound some distance away from you which gives you a slight edge. Feather on a string works but the motion machines will work on demand, don't have to wait for wind for action.

Mr. Dean
02-06-2013, 02:08 AM
I have a cheaper, wireless unit from Johnny Stewart (Hunting Specialties), called the Prey Master.
LOUD is good but best if there's a volume control. The remote has a range of ~ 100 yards.

Doesn't take much air to flutter a feather - Just saying.
But without a doubt, you'd be hard pressed in beating a mechanical lure, I thinks.

My Prey Master w/ a feather works, calling in thus far; yotes, coons, crows, a bobber and a wolf.
My main nit with it is its lack of water proofing and proprietary data cards.

I've had it now for 4 years.

Skull Hunter
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I bought the Primos Alpha dogg about a month ago. I haven't really put it to the test yet (not a lot of coyotes around here) but I'm really happy with all it's features and volume!

#1fishslayer
02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Sure like thre foxpro i got for xmas, came with the jack attack.

Husky7mm
02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Some of the less expensive calls will call in nothing. Poor sound quality, and lack of volume.

one-shot-wonder
02-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Is louder better? When I've tried to use my lanyard calls it seems really unnatural and forced when the volume gets much past regular conversation volume.

Louder isn't always better, especially if there are dogs already close by in the area. For example you know of a recent kill or many fresh tracks exist. Try slowly increasing the volume of calls as you perform a set. if you get a response you can judge approx. the distance the yotes are at. Keep in mind they can cover ground quickly. If no responses initially increase volume as required. If still no response after some time, move and setup in a new location.

albravo2
02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Louder isn't always better, especially if there are dogs already close by in the area. For example you know of a recent kill or many fresh tracks exist. Try slowly increasing the volume of calls as you perform a set. if you get a response you can judge approx. the distance the yotes are at. Keep in mind they can cover ground quickly. If no responses initially increase volume as required. If still no response after some time, move and setup in a new location.

when you say 'get a response' are you talking about a vocal response or a visual ID of a yote stalking? i've always assumed they would come in quietly. my only experience was a pack of wolves stalking my dogs. i didn't hear anything until i saw one, then when i got the dogs into the truck they started to howl around us.

todbartell
02-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I've been using a Foxpro since 2005, I'm now on my 3rd. They can work very well. It's nice to get the sound away from your position so when a coyote comes in, it won't be pegged on you

I've had great results with their rabbit decoys as well, had some hard chargers locked in on them - they really help seal the deal

one-shot-wonder
02-09-2013, 05:52 PM
when you say 'get a response' are you talking about a vocal response or a visual ID of a yote stalking? i've always assumed they would come in quietly. my only experience was a pack of wolves stalking my dogs. i didn't hear anything until i saw one, then when i got the dogs into the truck they started to howl around us.

When using a coyote locater call often you'll get vocal responses from dogs in the vicinity with no visual ID......if that is the case there is no need to blast the volume, try to mimic the same volume you heard in response.

hunterstan
02-09-2013, 11:43 PM
i made my own, to similar plans to the call found on varmint al's page but i had someone who could bring back the parts for me only have about 35-40 bucks into it, and it has great volume and as long as the sound you are using is well recorded the quality is great. might be worth a thought if you know someone going down south that might pass a radio shack or your willing to pay for shipping, im completely new at coyotes tho so im still figuring it out. scared some off on todays first stand for sure

Jetboat
02-10-2013, 11:16 AM
I have the Foxpro FX3 along with the Jack-in-the-Box decoy. Keeps the sights & sounds away from my position. I still have a whack of mouth blown calls/howlers that work fine too.

albravo2
02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the Varmint Al lead... i downloaded a few of his mp3 calls and have been playing them using my phone and a portable speaker. its as loud as our lanyard calls. am going to check the petstore for some cat toys as decoys too.