PDA

View Full Version : Crabbing

Mountaintop
02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
A friend of mine got a new boat and asked me to go crabbing with him. We are both new at this but was able to borrow a crab trap and had some minor success with Dungeness crabs the couple times we went out toward Pender Island. We both got enough keepers for good dinners each time. The regs say that you can harvest 4 legal sized males per day per licence and have 8 in possession. So far one is a good meal for me. If we get more than we can use that day can crab be frozen for later use without damage? How else can they be saved without going bad?

This is almost as much fun as hunting and we are thinking we will invest in our own traps. We have been told metal ones are better than the net ones just for durability. I've seen several types at Capitol Iron and was going to drop by Wholesale Sport next time I am out that way. Any suggestions on what to get and what we are looking at in price for occasional use rigs?

newhunterette
02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Freezing Dungeness crab, can fit nicely into a large freezer bag or wrapped in freezer paper or x- large freezer bags, (if you can find them).(depending on size of crab)

How To Freeze Whole Crab
Whole crab must be cooled down before freezing, if you have just boiled the crab. Next, you want to cut the tips of the legs. You can use kitchen shears to do this. Then you won't have the pointy ends poking through the freezer bags or whatever kind of freezer paper you choose to use.
Next, tuck the crab legs in around the belly of the crab. Then, simply place them in a large freezer bag or freezer paper. Then, stick them in your freezer.

How To Freeze Crab Legs
For freezing crab legs, is just like the above process. However, if you have whole crab and just want to just freeze the crab legs, then you have to clean the crab first, then you can freeze the crab legs. Make sure you get all the air out of the freezer bag to ensure freshness and they don't get freezer-burnt.

Freezing Crab Meat
If you would like to just freeze the crab meat, first,clean the crab, so you can get at the crab meat. After that is done, the shell and insides are removed and the crab is broken is half, now, you can pick out the crab meat.
You will notice that there is quite a bit of crab meat in the thigh area that is pretty easy to get at. To remove the crab meat from the legs, you can use a pair of shears, a nut cracker or an old table fork to get the meat from the crab legs. Once you have all the meat, you can package it and freeze it in freezer bags

Sasqman
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I do a lot of crabbing up indian arm in the early spring through summer, with good success. We also do some in Birch Bay during the legal season (only 2 months), the size limit for male keepers is 6 1/4" down there too. I use the big metal round traps. They seem to work well.

Once you cook the crabs you can freeze them for as long as you need. Don't put a raw crab in the freezer, always better to cook them fresh then freeze. We do that when we go across the line so we can bring them back.

The trap I use - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2EJ_lfR3M
watch the last 30 seconds of the video and you will see what trap I use.

Paul

BiG Boar
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I tried freezing cooked whole. Don't....

For transport must have shell attached. That's why I did this.

Salty
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
What Big Boar said. I don't know what it is but freezing crab turns nice firm tastey meat into grainy mushy stuff. Had a buddy, ex boss actually up here a few years back. We had a good feed of crabs and he froze a bunch of cooked crab legs and bodies, no guts, to take home. He's not a fussy eater, but when I asked him how it was he said well, not very good. Better than no crab at all I guess but not good.

Guess that's why they market them live. If you live near the water best to keep them alive in a pen off a dock or such. I've often kept a few in 10 or 20 feet of water in a bucket with holes in it weighted well with a float out front of our place. They'll do well for days probably a couple weeks. The other option is cooking, cleaning and canning the crab meat. I knew a gal that did this with about 3/4 cod or whatever and 1/4 crab meat canned together. Good stuff.

field marshal
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Vacuum pack the crab meat!!!!! Keeps a long time.---Cheers---Field Marshal.

MB_Boy
02-05-2013, 05:14 PM
As field marshall said......shell out the crab if you intend to freeze it and just freeze the meat. I always tend to eat them fresh or shell them out and use them while still "fresh".

As was mentioned earlier......I tried freezing still in the shell of the legs/body once and wasn't impressed with the quality afterwards. I think vacuum packing just the meat would be your best bet if you were adamant about keeping it in the freezer.

bigslim
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
What about freezing crab in water ??

Glenny
02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I like to use the shells and some meat for bisque. Best soup ever.

Gateholio
02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
What about freezing crab in water ??

Mush. If you must freeze, clean out the meat and vac pac. I guess you could can it too, but never tried it. I'm just happy to eat them fresh when I have them. :)

The Dude
02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Never had to freeze any. When we get some we suddenly acquire many friends ;-)

(BTW: That power station looks familiar ;-) )

CVMike
02-05-2013, 11:58 PM
As what people have mentioned, if you feel the need to freeze shuck it all and vacuum seal. If you're like me though after shucking only about half the meat makes it to the table and its not even enough left to be worth freezing. Throw it in the fridge and enjoy a crab omlette for breakfast... maybe a crab sandwich for lunch.... and after crab stuffed mushrooms your 'problem' of too much crab is no more.

sawmill
02-06-2013, 09:43 AM
I use the square metal tkedown traps,transport nicely broken down and sometimes you get stuff in there that is a bitch to get out,I`v had a 5 foot octopus and another time one of those many legged starfish about 3 feet across.

f350ps
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Check out Ladner Traps, they make a sport version that's about 30" in diameter, hands down the best trap out there! K

Mountaintop
02-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks all for the freezing and trap hints. So far I haven't had any left overs but still hoping for the big haul one day soon and wanted to be prepared.

fearless
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Just kill the crab by chopping it in half remove the hood and guts give it a rinse then wrap it in saran wrap vac seal, when your ready for a feed thaw it out and boil it for twenty minutes, not the same as fresh but the best way to do it after being frozen.

MB_Boy
02-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Just kill the crab by chopping it in half remove the hood and guts give it a rinse then wrap it in saran wrap vac seal, when your ready for a feed thaw it out and boil it for twenty minutes, not the same as fresh but the best way to do it after being frozen.

Thaw AND boil for 20 Minutes?!?!?! 20 minutes from a thawed state having been frozen in the shell from a raw state? How long do you cook it when fresh????? Yowza!!!! :wink:

That is some over cooking unless your water is a touch warmer than lukewarm. :mrgreen:

I'll take crab pollock instead.:wink:

field marshal
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Ha Ha Ha, also did a double take on the crab boiling time. I guess he likes crab mush????:mrgreen:-----cheers---Field Marshal.

Salty
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
We used to be spoiled big time a couple places ago.. lived on a gravelly/muddy bay that was just stuffed with crab. A half day soak would usually give up 8 or so big males, up to 10 inches! and a lot of smaller and females that we'd throw back. So we experimented a fair bit, cooking them different ways. Started with the old boil'm whole method that I was taught when I was a kid but came down to the following method-

Kill crabs with a sharp wack with a hatchet, rock, side of the boat.. whatever to the sternum. Grab left side claws in one hand right side in other and break in two discarding shell, guts, lungs, etc. removing everything but white meat. In a big ass tall stock pot bring 3-4" of water to a rolling boil. Add 8 or so crabs as above. Hit it with several generous shakes of Louisiana hot sauce. Squeeze a half lemon or more all over the crabs. Cover reduce heat a bit and steam them for 10 to 15 minutes (less time for small batch more time for a stuffed pot). Have a look, at about 10minutes, if everyone is a nice bright orange tinge and happy happy happy drain the water and dump'm in a large bowl or two. Secure several ice cold beer and sit down and have ater. If you've made way too much- cool, put'm in the fridge they're excellent for another 3 days or so.

longstonec
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Vacume pack and freeze without cooking and they turn out much better then cooked and frozen. The round stainless commercial style traps work the best.-hence why commercial guys use Em- make sure to line the doors up with the current flow when you drop them.

fearless
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Thaw AND boil for 20 Minutes?!?!?! 20 minutes from a thawed state having been frozen in the shell from a raw state? How long do you cook it when fresh????? Yowza!!!! :wink:

That is some over cooking unless your water is a touch warmer than lukewarm. :mrgreen:

I'll take crab pollock instead.:wink:
Cook it how ever you want muscle mouth if I'm going to give out advice I'm going to cover my ass, don't want to see anyone get sick.

longstonec
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM
We used to be spoiled big time a couple places ago.. lived on a gravelly/muddy bay that was just stuffed with crab. A half day soak would usually give up 8 or so big males, up to 10 inches! and a lot of smaller and females that we'd throw back. So we experimented a fair bit, cooking them different ways. Started with the old boil'm whole method that I was taught when I was a kid but came down to the following method-

Kill crabs with a sharp wack with a hatchet, rock, side of the boat.. whatever to the sternum. Grab left side claws in one hand right side in other and break in two discarding shell, guts, lungs, etc. removing everything but white meat. In a big ass tall stock pot bring 3-4" of water to a rolling boil. Add 8 or so crabs as above. Hit it with several generous shakes of Louisiana hot sauce. Squeeze a half lemon or more all over the crabs. Cover reduce heat a bit and steam them for 10 to 15 minutes (less time for small batch more time for a stuffed pot). Have a look, at about 10minutes, if everyone is a nice bright orange tinge and happy happy happy drain the water and dump'm in a large bowl or two. Secure several ice cold beer and sit down and have ater. If you've made way too much- cool, put'm in the fridge they're excellent for another 3 days or so.

You can use the edge of the trap also.

The way my family has always done is pretty similar, 1-3" of boiling water with acouple cups of white wine. drop in cleaned crab and steam for 15 minutes with a lid on.

GAARLIC BUTTER

and paper towel for your face.

Mountaintop
02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
I've been using Salty's method of killing and cleaning and the hot sauce cooking method sounds good. When we got our first few crabs with the borrowed trap I had a friend tell me about steaming them in white wine. I did not have any wine at the time but popped open a bottle of good Mexican beer that I had and steamed it in that. It worked great and the crab turned the bright red in about 5 minutes or so. Actually, I used three Mexican beers that night. One to cook it in and two cold ones to wash it down. A most excellent meal.

I'm going out again this morning with my friend to check the trap. I hope to have enough to try and store some.

pnbrock
02-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Don't bother freezing eat fresh there is no other way to eat!! It the reward after u set traps take what u can eat that sitting leave the rest for another day.

Salty
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
The hot sauce thing I really like just saw the jug of it sitting near the stove one day and thought I'd give it a whirl. Its not coming in contact with much if any meat so its not like you get a big zap of hot sauce, but the essence of it and the lemon in the steam gives a nice gentle boost the the crab without overpowering it at all.

MB_Boy
02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Cook it how ever you want muscle mouth if I'm going to give out advice I'm going to cover my ass, don't want to see anyone get sick.

Sick from what????? I cook it for no more than about 6-7 minutes TOPS. Slightly longer if I am steaming it....

Give advice if it's good advice.....would I be covering my ass if I said cook your moose steaks for at least 45 minutes on the BBQ? No need to cover anyone's ass....just cook food to enjoy it. Is there a disclaimer on giving GOOD advice on HBC that covers liability? :wink:

Muscle mouth's advice.......if you are gonna cook FRESH crab for 20 minutes....save the effort to get said FRESH crab, instead go to Safeway, buy it canned and grab a jar of mayo too.

Phreddy
02-10-2013, 12:36 PM
They tell me the best place to catch crabs is in the Main and Hastings area of Vancouver. They're stil babies of course, but they say they itch like crazy.

Patman7
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Sick from what????? I cook it for no more than about 6-7 minutes TOPS. Slightly longer if I am steaming it....

Give advice if it's good advice.....would I be covering my ass if I said cook your moose steaks for at least 45 minutes on the BBQ? No need to cover anyone's ass....just cook food to enjoy it. Is there a disclaimer on giving GOOD advice on HBC that covers liability? :wink:

Muscle mouth's advice.......if you are gonna cook FRESH crab for 20 minutes....save the effort to get said FRESH crab, instead go to Safeway, buy it canned and grab a jar of mayo too.

I also have been cooking crab for years & always boiled it exactly 9 minutes, turns out great! The barbque works good, or crack the shells a little & fry them in a wok with black bean sauce + some other spices that you think would taste good.

f350ps
02-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I also have been cooking crab for years & always boiled it exactly 9 minutes, turns out great! The barbque works good, or crack the shells a little & fry them in a wok with black bean sauce + some other spices that you think would taste good.
I also do 9 minutes and cookem in the seawater they came out of, makes them nice and sweet! If I can't cookem in seawater I give them away to somebody. K

freonguy
02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Good conversation here -

Nobody mentioned bait - if salmon / fish parts are not available, use fatty chicken or turkey backs - works great for me.

As for us, usually all the crab is slurped up fresh, but cook, shuck and vacuum pack and freeze works the best that I have found.
A delicate meat and flavour fresh - does not lend itself too well to freezing.

Freonguy

blindguy
02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I've been using Salty's method of killing and cleaning and the hot sauce cooking method sounds good. When we got our first few crabs with the borrowed trap I had a friend tell me about steaming them in white wine. I did not have any wine at the time but popped open a bottle of good Mexican beer that I had and steamed it in that. It worked great and the crab turned the bright red in about 5 minutes or so. Actually, I used three Mexican beers that night. One to cook it in and two cold ones to wash it down. A most excellent meal.

I'm going out again this morning with my friend to check the trap. I hope to have enough to try and store some.

What area have you been crabbing? if close to sidney the spit is loaded 4 hr soak today and 24 keeper males ! about 30ft of water

Gr8 white hunter
02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
How about trying to can the crab meat.

warnniklz
02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
I doin't know about around the island, but up off of kitamat and around the indian arm I've noticed black traps outfish blue traps.

It can be hard to decide how much money to spend on traps. You can pick one up for $20 just about anywhere that sells crab traps. But they can blow apart on you if you get too much weight in them. I like the SMI traps. Welded and mid price range. The large Danielson octogon traps are deadly too. They run roughly $80ish. But no matter what traps you have, chances are if you leave them too long someone may steal them.

When I was down at the coast I had a couple home made wire traps. I also had some jumbo sea king traps as well. If you go that way, get the ones that have the metal clasps holding it together. Ones with the ends curled over work, but once again... If you're having a good day crabbing, they may blow apart.

Mountaintop
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
What area have you been crabbing? if close to sidney the spit is loaded 4 hr soak today and 24 keeper males ! about 30ft of water

I'm in the Gulf Islands and drop the trap near Pender. We've been out a few times and get between 6 and 8 a time using chicken legs for bait. Enough for a great meal for the two families and fills most or all of our daily limit but nothing left after dinner to save. Sidney Spit would not be that far away and we will have to try there at some point.

dime
03-03-2013, 11:34 PM
We catch a bunch of crab during the short season down in Birch Bay, Washington where my Dad lives, and we freeze the catch and eat it all year. The key is this: Cook and remove meat from the shell, then FREEZE IN CREAM. You take a small tupperware container that will hold about 2 crabs and pack the meat in until it is about 1/2 inch from the top. Then you take half-and-half (you can use whipping cream and dilute with a little milk if you do not have any half-and-half cream) and pour over the crab meat until it just covers, then put the lid on and put in the deep freeze. We have used water, milk , and vacuum bags over the years and nothing works like the cream. Make sure the containers are not too full as they will pop the lid off as the liquid expands as it freezes. When you take it out ( up to a year later), you can defrost in the fridge for a day and then pour off the cream and eat the meat with drawn butter. Better yet, turn the crab-infused cream into a killer pasta sauce by adding cooked onion and garlic, thicken with a little flour and you have a nice alfredo sauce. We also make crab dip or crab cakes and get rave reveiws. We catch maybe 50 crab during the 6 week open season and eat it once a week for the entire year.
Good luck,
Dave (dime)

Scuba_Dave
03-04-2013, 06:52 AM
If you head into Island Outfitters in Victoria (I assume you are from Vic lol) they have some pretty good traps...Bought one there last year and its amazing. They also have the bait bag you need. Works a lot better than zap strapping a fish head onto the cage. I find a lot of people using chicken, works well as bait but if you really want to hit the crab fast use fish heads...Go into Albion just before the Bay street bridge and you can buy them for like $10 a bag of heads or something like that. As mentioned earlier I find the black traps work WAY better than the blue ones, and of course stay away from those netted traps, I think most people have them because they are like $20 and keeps their kids busy while on vacation lol

Cheers

fearnodeer
03-04-2013, 07:23 AM
The way I eat frozen crab is by unthawing it in the fridge and it always has come out firm meat.

boblly1
03-04-2013, 07:45 AM
i do some crabbing myself and have found that the trap doesnt really matter that much but the bait does the foldup metaltraps i find take up a lot less spaceon the boat and yes crab meat freezes well remember that when you are transporting your catch keep the shells til you get home as that is how fishery officers or gamey can tell if you are harvesting legal size pieces

Gateholio
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Neat trick, never heard of using cream.

Sasqman
03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Looking forword to trying the cream method! Thanks for the tip Dave!

For bait I usually use chicken/turkey/pork..........whatever is the cheapest, but also go to
the dollar store and get some cans of tuna/salmon...etc and crack a few holes in it, put it in the bait box/bag, works great.......
especially if u can find find something in oil.

My other secret is I always go to KFC the nite before we go crabbing, get a big bucket of chicken, put it in the fridge
over nite..........and not only do u get delish cold chicken to eat for lunch, but the fried bones and whatever else is attached always
produce the best hauls at the end of the day. Also, dont be scared to brine your bait the night before in soy/brown sugar water.