PDA

View Full Version : Golden Ears Park Draft Management Plan: Elk Hunting?

Whonnock Boy
02-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Thought I should post this up. BC Parks is looking for your input regarding the possible uses of the park. With the Pitt river watershed transplants, and possible transplants into the Gold Creek watershed, I believe input from our side of things might go a long way to a possible hunting opportunity in the park itself. Page 9 touches on this.

Final day for submissions is Feb. 15.

Link to the plan.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/golden_ears/golden-ears-mp-public-rev.pdf

Comment form
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/golden_ears/golden-ears-draftMP-comments.html

Piperdown
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Wow that would be cool. I used to hike the ears all the time when i lived on the mainland, a beautiful place.

ActionJackson017
02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Nice, I provided feedback both positive and negative. Page 22 outlines their intent to leave the Park closed to firearms / bows and crossbows however.

GoatGuy
02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Great if everyone can put in their 0.02. This is a big one.

buck nash
02-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I can't see them ever opening the park to firearms. It's just too close to the city and too heavily used. But we can dream I guess.

SUAFOYT
02-05-2013, 09:31 PM
The tone makes it clear that this will remain a no hunting area. It won't change.

GoatGuy
02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
There are BC Parks in other parts of the province which are used by hundreds of people daily and hunting still occurs just outside the city limits.

There definitely won't be any hunting if nobody writes to supporting hunting for wildlife management in the park.

Jelvis
02-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Might as well have an LEH in the Park if that's what the BC government wants to sponsor, LEH ANY BULL ELK
maybe a COW/CALF ELK LEH as well determined on carrying capacity and herd information, which appears is done and it's a ----- for gone conclusion, not an elusion, ELK LEH is coming to a Park near you, enter, Golden Ears.
Good stuff
Jelnini .. One Lucky Hunter .. Drawing ELK in GOLDEN EARS PARK .. ANY BULL ELK GOLDEN EARS PARK .. sounds good EH!

Whonnock Boy
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
I can't see them ever opening the park to firearms. It's just too close to the city and too heavily used. But we can dream I guess.

Bow seasons.

The tone makes it clear that this will remain a no hunting area. It won't change.

Page 12 notes: In 2009, the Tsawwassen First Nation Final Agreement was ratified. The Tsawwassen WildlifeHarvest Area, Tsawwassen Migratory Bird Harvest Area, and Tsawwassen Plant Gathering Areaoverlap Golden Ears Park as defined in the Tsawwassen First Nation Final Agreement. Undertreaty, Tsawwassen First Nation has the right to harvest wildlife and migratory birds and gatherplants within Golden Ears Park for domestic purposes, subject to an approved gathering plan.

What is good for the goose.....

There are BC Parks in other parts of the province which are used by hundreds of people daily and hunting still occurs just outside the city limits.

There definitely won't be any hunting if nobody writes to supporting hunting for wildlife management in the park.

Yes, and yes.

Just curious. Who might be flipping some of the bill, and volunteering their time for the possible transplant in the Gold creek watershed? Same goes for the Pitt? I have a pretty good idea but...... HCTF perhaps???

fowl language
02-05-2013, 10:54 PM
bcwf region 2 is on it. what is being perposed is that in the event there is a harvestable surplus of wildlife that hunting be introduced as a conservation measure. they started off by saying that they didn,t want to upset the naturalists but have had a bit of change of heart learning a. that there has been 71 elk released in the surrounding area and b.the elk transplant was funded by funds supplied by hunters.there is a gov,t meeting in the near future to discuss this ,which is a positive thing....i encourage that all letters please be respectfull. the park manager is tom blackbird and i can tell you from a personal experience he is not against hunting. but politics is a whole different kettle of fish....the katsie band is aware of this and this could help, i wouldn,t go into details ,only to say in this one they could be the deciding factor.....dale

Whonnock Boy
02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Just giving her a bump. The cut off date is the 15th.

GoatGuy
02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Bow seasons.

Page 12 notes: In 2009, the Tsawwassen First Nation Final Agreement was ratified. The Tsawwassen WildlifeHarvest Area, Tsawwassen Migratory Bird Harvest Area, and Tsawwassen Plant Gathering Areaoverlap Golden Ears Park as defined in the Tsawwassen First Nation Final Agreement. Undertreaty, Tsawwassen First Nation has the right to harvest wildlife and migratory birds and gatherplants within Golden Ears Park for domestic purposes, subject to an approved gathering plan.

What is good for the goose.....

Yes, and yes.

Just curious. Who might be flipping some of the bill, and volunteering their time for the possible transplant in the Gold creek watershed? Same goes for the Pitt? I have a pretty good idea but...... HCTF perhaps???

HCTF has been a partner in all the transplants I can think of.

Whonnock Boy
02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
HCTF has been a partner in all the transplants I can think of.

That's what I thought. Just another point to be laid out in ones comments.

The Dude
02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't think Whitey (Or any non "Native") is getting in there anytime soon to hunt.

Issue: Fish and wildlife populations in the park are believed to have declined in large part due to past resource use.
Objective: Support the research and recovery of wildlife populations.
Specific strategies:
 Support Roosevelt Elk re-introductions in the park where the are not unacceptable impacts to existing species
Support introductions of other native fish and wildlife species including species-at-risk where there are not unacceptable impacts to existing species.
Support monitoring of fish and wildlife populations
 Support the implementation of recovery plans for species at risk.
 Maintain the closure to hunting and the discharge of firearms, bows and crossbows.

GoatGuy
02-07-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't think Whitey (Or any non "Native") is getting in there anytime soon to hunt.

Issue: Fish and wildlife populations in the park are believed to have declined in large part due to past resource use.
Specific strategies:
 Support Roosevelt Elk re-introductions in the park where the are not unacceptable impacts to existing species
Support introductions of other native fish and wildlife species including species-at-risk where there are not unacceptable impacts to existing species.
 Maintain the closure to hunting and the discharge of firearms, bows and crossbows.

All you need to suggest is a hunting season should be implemented when the wildlife manager deems it's required for population management.

Then the door opened a crack.

Whonnock Boy
02-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Specific strategies:

"The person who says that it can't be done should never interrupt the person who is doing it."

So, are you interrupting, or are you writing? :-D

The Dude
02-10-2013, 09:47 PM
"The person who says that it can't be done should never interrupt the person who is doing it."

So, are you interrupting, or are you writing? :-D

OUCH! Touche, Honky!

(I'm writing, I'm writing...)

Whonnock Boy
02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the bump. Due dates on the 15th people!

fowl language
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
just to give you sime ammo for your letter ,black bears are at a saturation point in the part according to the biologists. there will be no elk releasted in the park if there is no hunting allowed. there are a couple of ditties to add to your letter....dale

biggyun68
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
The plan objectives are heavily relying upon volunteer groups for back country camping site building and maintaining habitat restoration, research (for example: in the field data collection), species re-introduction, and protection of the grizzly bear habitat: Way more objectives to achieve than maintaining no Hunting.
I cannot honestly see all the arm chair ecologists/naturalists getting out to do these activities and still get their recreation in. Were as the hunting and fishing groups do put their backs where their words go.
You also have to factor in that there are a lot of Generation X's getting into or thinking of getting into hunting in the lower mainland because of sustainability, and food knowledge/security issues. These are folks who will support a well thought out and logical argument for hunting, fishing and harvesting rather than a status quo or reactionary anti-harvesting argument.

I am writing a letter as requested - Question to Fowl language - How do we tailor the letter for the Katzie? I thought their policies are First Nations first and only? I would be happy to accommodate their Nation.

rock
02-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Anybody familiar with UBC research forest I must say I'm in there alot due to a few people I know live there, their strict in all ways for firearms or vehicle traffic as well as pets, but I must say the elk they have transplanted at pitt lake have found there way into this area sure nice to see them for sure, of course the blacktail deer in there all become record deer due to low hunting pressure see lots every year as well lots of black bears. It's only a matter of time and we should see some kind of season though many areas around would still be closed to hunting activities which is to bad.