PDA

View Full Version : Spread

Moe.JKU
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
So I am just wondering as I just bought my first shotgun that has options for chokes. I was just wondering what a good spread is for ducks and geese? I bought the Nova pump and it has modified, ic and full. (not using full) Just wondering what a good spread is and should I do this with the different shells that I will be using #4 and BB or will it stay relatively the same.

limit time
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Well...everyone will say pattern it! Use as many different loads as you can afford and try all the chokes at 35-40 yards. The one with the most pellets wins. ( I'm just a noob, so I could be wrong)

I shoot a super nova, and Remington Sportsman #2 ( the size I like) pattern well with MC. I also bought a Patternmaster extended range tube, and it made the pattern better.

sorry, #4 will shoot (pattern) different than BB.

Drillbit
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Try both out a see the difference yourself.

Not sure where you shoot to test them, but snowbanks are pretty good to easily look at patterns, pattern boards are good, too. You could even try cardboard. We always go to the local Reserve dump and pattern test on junk appliances.

Lots of different opinions on what choke to use. Just make sure you don't use full with steel shot. Learn the little marks too (1=full, 3=mod etc.) because once you use them a bit you won't be able to read what's written on them.

Foxton Gundogs
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Patern, Patern, Patern...not only to determine your choke but also all shells are not created equal for all guns and chokes. most of my group shoot IC steel holds much tighter than lead we shoot over deeks and bring them in close. BBs on geese, 3s on ducks and 2s if theres a chance of both, seems to do not bad for us

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/DSC03197-1.jpg?t=1351991773

Moe.JKU
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah I was just wondering like whats a good size or pattern is I guess. thanks ill just figure it out through some trial and error and see where that gets me.

Foxton Gundogs
02-04-2013, 05:58 PM
use the 30-30 theory, 30"pattern at 30 yds with good coverage and no holes in it,