PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Food ideas

KTownKiller
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
You backpacking hunters out there might be interested in this. Instead of just eating stuff like soggy, expensive, small portioned freeze dried food etc., I was taught to make my own at home by my brother-in-law. He's not a hunter but a great cook and loves backpacking. All you need is a food dehydrator. I picked one up on sale at London Drugs. I start this time of year with pineapple, because they are not as good in the summer. In the summer I do local apples and peaches. I also dry jerky this way. Then for our big meal at the end of a hard day at camp, I dry food like pasta, with a good thick game meat sauce of course! Actually, my wife does most of this. :) As long as the meat is ground, it will dry well and rehydrate. My wife makes a killer tuna caserole that works good also. To rehydrate, you just cover the food in a pot with water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min. or till done. Once you've tried this, you'll never want to eat freeze dried food again. You can make the portions a real size too! I'm not always hungry anymore because i've got so much good and healthy food now! I can give you more details if anyone is interestesd. Does anyone else have any other ideas for backpacking food?

blackbart
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I am interested in learning more of the details that you use for preparing and storing the main meals. Would love to reduce the sodium content of my hunting diet!

Any pictures? Storage recomendations?

Lots of other older threads on backpacking food and such.

bighornbob
02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Sounds tasty, but how fuel do you take if you need to simmer your meals for 10 minites?

BHB

You backpacking hunters out there might be interested in this. Instead of just eating stuff like soggy, expensive, small portioned freeze dried food etc., I was taught to make my own at home by my brother-in-law. He's not a hunter but a great cook and loves backpacking. All you need is a food dehydrator. I picked one up on sale at London Drugs. I start this time of year with pineapple, because they are not as good in the summer. In the summer I do local apples and peaches. I also dry jerky this way. Then for our big meal at the end of a hard day at camp, I dry food like pasta, with a good thick game meat sauce of course! Actually, my wife does most of this. :) As long as the meat is ground, it will dry well and rehydrate. My wife makes a killer tuna caserole that works good also. To rehydrate, you just cover the food in a pot with water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min. or till done. Once you've tried this, you'll never want to eat freeze dried food again. You can make the portions a real size too! I'm not always hungry anymore because i've got so much good and healthy food now! I can give you more details if anyone is interestesd. Does anyone else have any other ideas for backpacking food?

Fella
02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
X2 on the big meals. How do you do the jerky?

Gateholio
02-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Used to make lots of dehydrated meals like that, but as said, if you are packing fuel, you need alot more of it than for MH meals. We used to just start fires and boil the stuff up, but it takes time and only works when you are below treeline.

warnniklz
02-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Sounds great and all...

However I don't want to pack a pot to boil something in. I just pack a safari tin (I think that's what they're called) to boil water in and then into the bag it goes.

I've tried all the meals... Coleman being the worst. Mountain House first. However Backpacker's Valley does have a good lasagna.

Mind ya if I wasn't packing a weapon, I would have the weight space to pack a pot. Then just start a fire for to heat up water

KTownKiller
02-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I guess I do take in a little extra fuel, never really thought of it actually. I don't know if it would amount to that much because my stove can really turn down to a very small flame. It's worth it too me anyway. I take in all my gear on a cart, so a little extra this and that is no big deal. I also usually camp below treeline, so I can go up a different mountain every morning.
To dry meals, make sure it is like pasta with sause, ground meat, or canned tuna. This kind of food can dry and rehydrate easily. I once did a stew with chunks of potato that wouldn't rehydrate well. But my brother-in-law says he makes it with powdered or flaked potatos. I got to find out more on that. I'm also looking for other good ideas.
Once a meal is dry, I store it in ziplock bags in the freezer till it's time to go hunt'n. They will keep this way up to three years, I've read. They can even be kept in the pantry for up to 2 years, but I'd rather use the freezer. Just try to keep everyone away from it! :wink: I had one meal of spag. that came back out of the mountains with us and back in the freezer. It was still great the next season. Meals dehydrate over night, and should only be put into the dehydrator when still warm. I put some spag. in cold once and... :confused: tasted like crap!
Jerky is easy to make with instructions that came with the jerky gun I got. I'm sure if you goggle it, someone will show how. Otherwise I can tell you more later.
It's also good to have a stove that can simmer well. I've heard some can't. I'm still useing an old Colemen Peak 1 that simmers really well.

Ponderosa
02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
yep homemade deydrated meals are the only way to go! I make all of ours. I do spagetti, beef stroganoff, a bean and rice dish, sweet and sour chicken, curry chicken, granola, just to name a few. after my meals are dry I vaccum seal them and store them in the freezer. We use Jet boil's and put the food and required water into the jetboil, bring to a boil, shut off and let sit for 10 min, and voila! ready to eat.

gbear
02-02-2013, 06:06 PM
How do you know how much water to add back in? Do you weight it before and after dehydrating?

Ponderosa
02-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I know for me, it has been trial and error for how much water to use to reconstitute. I have found that most things it is whatever amount I had before dehydrating is the amount of water I add. so for 1 1/2 cups of spagetti sauce and noodles (before dehydrating) I would add in 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c of water. I haven't weighed any meals before dehydrating, but after dried they are right about 4oz. each.

buck nash
02-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I do this as well but instead of adding pasta I usually pack chinese stick noodles, minute rice and potatoe flakes seperate from the meals so I can choose which carb to add.

You use less fuel if you add the water an hour or so before cooking it up. This doesnt work as well with pasta so for that I add the water, heat it up then let it stand in a pot with a sweater or something wrapped around it to help hold the heat. Then reheat a bit if nessesary and eat.

We have a nesco dehydrator which we also got from london drugs on sale. They also sell extra trays and fruit leather trays which is worth the investment. My only gripe with these units is they are difficult to clean. The food gets into all the little crevices and you have to soak them forever and use a finger nail brush to get it out. Its especially bad for jerky juices.

We do fruit leather as well. Just stick your favourite fruit or blend of fruits in the blender, spread it on the leather tray, set the temp and time and turn it on. Just have to rotate your trays every once in a while and flip the leather when it firms up enough to pick up. My 5 year old takes them to lunch for school and he loves them cause he gets to pick the ingredients and blend them. Banana chips are good too. They come out more chewy than the freeze dried banana chips you usually see.

KTownKiller
02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
yep homemade deydrated meals are the only way to go! I make all of ours. I do spagetti, beef stroganoff, a bean and rice dish, sweet and sour chicken, curry chicken, granola, just to name a few. after my meals are dry I vaccum seal them and store them in the freezer. We use Jet boil's and put the food and required water into the jetboil, bring to a boil, shut off and let sit for 10 min, and voila! ready to eat.

Oh Ya! You know what I'm talk'n about! My wife makes a beef (venison) stroganoff also. If you don't mind, I would like that recipe for the sweet and sour chicken.:) How do you get the chicken to dry out enough?

How do you know how much water to add back in? Do you weight it before and after dehydrating?

You only need enough water to cover the food, atleast in my pot anyway.

KTownKiller
02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
These granola bars are what I use now instead of bought ones. Way better tasting, probably healthier and not so stale.

Ingredients:

2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup almonds, slivered
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup raisins

Syrup:

1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup honey
4 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt

Spread oats, wheat germ, sunflowers seeds, and pumpkin seeds on a large baking pan and toast in the oven at 325º for 12 minutes.
While this is toasting bring all the syrup ingredients to boil in a saucepan. Once it starts to boil reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer 5 minutes.
Pour toasted ingredients and the rest of the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Stir syrup mixture into dry mixture until well blended.
Press mixture into a 9" x 13" pan.
Cool until firm. Cut in pieces and wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap.
Store in a cool place.