PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sausage / Salami Recipes

IronNoggin
02-01-2013, 03:26 PM
We've decided to finally give this a whirl. Headed out to Hetel's anyway to pick up more casings and cure, so will also pick 1/2 dozen of the Super Size 3" diameter tubes to stuff.

But, we are in need of a Tried Tested and True Recipe!

Hoping a few here might have a Favorite they would be willing to share...

Thanks In Advance for any and all suggestions! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Anyone?? http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

lorneparker1
02-02-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/venison-summer-sausage-recipe.html

IronNoggin
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks Lorne. Of the many variations we've checked out via Google, that one is right on top of the list of those we are considering (with the usual minor tweakings of course).

Was kind of hoping to find a "Favorite" from a member or two here to work with, but sometimes one simply has to Bite The Bullet and experiment themselves...

Cheers,
Nog

cdub
02-03-2013, 11:37 AM
A little off topic but do Hertels sell pork to the public? If so what are there prices like?
i would offer a summer sausage but i haven't made it for 15yrs last time and it didn't turn out great as i didn't have a proper stuffer then and the grinder warmed up the meat and it smeared in the casing creating a mushy sausage.

IronNoggin
02-03-2013, 12:26 PM
A little off topic but do Hertels sell pork to the public?

Uncertain. They do have various product flyers on their counter out there, which I have quickly flipped through from time to time. Seem to offer various cuts, advise on preparation, etc. However as they are chiefly a wholesaler, perhaps that literature is geared towards Company purchases. We always bought our pork at the local grocer when it came on sale before this year, and of course now have a source for whole pigs at a decent rate.

Might be worth giving them a call if you're interested: (250) 723-9698

Cheers,
Nog