PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region Elk - Family Day Hunt

Neff
02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
A buddy and his son have a LEH for elk in the Peace Region ( 7-20, Zone A ). This
will be thier first time hunting in the Peace Region and first trip for elk. I'm trying to find them info so they can have a successful hunt. They are heading to the Peace Region during family day weekend, February 9th to February 12th.

They have the ministry lists of landowners and have done a fair bit of homework already, but typical answers they have gotten is "we don't know if we will have elk then."

So now that the hunt is near thay are trying to get some current tips on where the elk can be found. Any help is appreciated. PMs welcomed.

Neff

KB90
02-01-2013, 01:28 PM
There are no guarantees at this time of year. Elk could be there for a week straight then up and leave and don't come back. They could be there one day and gone the next.

The best tactic is to phone the day or two days before you are actually leaving and ask if the elk are currently on their land. If not try your next contact.

Schmaus
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I agree with KB90, you pretty much have to call just before you go. Try and make sure you have lots of options available because it sucks to go and have nowhere to hunt.

cbb
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Drive the Hwy's in the hunting zone and look for them. That's what we did. Then when you find them, figure out who's land they're on. Then ask permission to hunt them. Then if you can't hunt that property, figure out who own's the adjoining properties. And if that doesn't work go back to the hwy's.... One thing's for sure, they'll see a lot of wildlife and that's fun. There's no point getting permission to hunt on a bunch of properties that don't have elk on them.

moosinaround
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
There are no guarantees at this time of year. Elk could be there for a week straight then up and leave and don't come back. They could be there one day and gone the next.

The best tactic is to phone the day or two days before you are actually leaving and ask if the elk are currently on their land. If not try your next contact.

I agree with KB90, you pretty much have to call just before you go. Try and make sure you have lots of options available because it sucks to go and have nowhere to hunt.

Drive the Hwy's in the hunting zone and look for them. That's what we did. Then when you find them, figure out who's land they're on. Then ask permission to hunt them. Then if you can't hunt that property, figure out who own's the adjoining properties. And if that doesn't work go back to the hwy's.... One thing's for sure, they'll see a lot of wildlife and that's fun. There's no point getting permission to hunt on a bunch of properties that don't have elk on them.
We had a bunch of private land permission, and ended getting an elk on someones land we had to ask permission for after we seen them up there.
Check out adjoining crown land also! 2000m within private land for these areas too!

Moosin

gbear
02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Check out adjoining crown land also! 2000m within private land for these areas too!

Moosin

This rule only applies for portions of the LEH authorization area. The zone 7-20a includes a lot of crown land. The 2000m rule applies to a few other MU's allowed under this LEH.

This isn't a gimme hunt, that is for sure. I live here, and have been going out almost every weekend with buddies and have yet to have a chance. Seen a few, but at great distances. Many are going nocturnal where we have been. Also seems that the weather has been warming up on a number of weekends, with cold during the week when we can't go.

Good luck!

moosinaround
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
This rule only applies for portions of the LEH authorization area. The zone 7-20a includes a lot of crown land. The 2000m rule applies to a few other MU's allowed under this LEH.

This isn't a gimme hunt, that is for sure. I live here, and have been going out almost every weekend with buddies and have yet to have a chance. Seen a few, but at great distances. Many are going nocturnal where we have been. Also seems that the weather has been warming up on a number of weekends, with cold during the week when we can't go.

Good luck!
Yup, not that easy! I have been on numerous elk hunts during the Dec-Feb LEH season. We have taken 1 elk off of private land and 1 off of crown land. Missed 1 on crown land, and passed on 2 on crown land. Been turned down by NUMEROUS farmers as they don't like hunters was their excuse! I smile when I see the elk in their hay!! Moosin

Neff
03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Cam and his dad would like to thank all the contacts made through the Hunting BC forum.
The father and son hunting trip on the Family Day weekend *was a success in that
they made a lot of contacts, but were unsuccessful in their venture to shoot an elk.
They say, "Thanks again and hopefully we will be able to make it back to the Peace Region and fill our tags on*our next trip."

moosinaround
03-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Sounds awesome. Once you hunt in the Peace River country you are hooked for life. We ended getting 2 out of the 3 tags our group had. A good way to end 2012, and start 2013. Moosin

DANOSON
03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
How is the meat. Being so late I thought the meat would be lean and no fat as they come down looking for food.