PDA

View Full Version : Mule DeerAre Doing Good..

hunter1947
02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
This mule deer buck I have one side of the antlers he dropped was a 3 point the picture shows that they are doing very well for this time of the year ,,O ya these mule deer are on crown land outside city limits..

I thought to myself that nature has feed me for many years its my turn to return the favor..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/HBC7.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

coach
02-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Nice to see some of the mule deer are doing well in your area, Wayne. What are you using to feed them?

GoatGuy
02-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Quick read for you h47

http://www.cwd.cc/Capability_of_Mule_Deer_to_Utilize_Fibrous_Alfalfa _Diets.pdf

Stone Sheep Steve
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Quick read for you h47

Thanks for posting that GG. Always "heard" deer can die with full belllies when fed alfalfa in the winter but it was good to read the actual study that documented that.

SSS

Rackmastr
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Quick read for you h47

Very cool read. I've heard a lot of the negatives of feeding in high concentration areas, but this is an interesting one on digestion and how they handle certain types of food. Thanks for sharing!

The Dude
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Maybe you can give Wayne some pointers on what is positive for H47 to do, instead of what is negative about what he's doing, and trying to help, GG.

hunter1947
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I see it this way I should not feed the deer as for others plain and simple lets face it these mule deer did not get this fat from my feed that took place last week natural habitat that took place feeding them :wink: thanks goatguy for the info..

hunter1947
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Nice to see some of the mule deer are doing well in your area, Wayne. What are you using to feed them?

I got some grass hay from rocksteady I put a small amount out there last week and they have not touched it they don't like it I am going to give the grass hay back to rocksteady for his horses..
Coach I have been using corn barley wheat mix and they love this feed to no end wonder if the feed is ok for them ??? its the same feed I used around my trail cameras in the summer late fall months maybe GG can get back to me if its ok to feed the deer this feed or if not something else ???...

GoatGuy
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
If people want to contribute to wildlife, I'd head out in a month with a set of sheers and prune the 'shrubs and bushes' which are becoming decadent. Anything that looks damaged/diseased/unproductive. Think some of the species are better done in the fall than late winter but the outcome will help. To have any kind of positive 'effect' a person or persons need to commit some serious time to this. It will make browse more productive and 'bushes' will have a longer lifespan. The government is a pita to deal with on this stuff so do it at your own risk. You could get in trouble (although it's extremely unlikely).

Lastly, one thing to consider is while feeding some wildlife for hunting is legal, feeding wildlife can also get you in trouble. The COS has the ability to tell you to shut it down if it creates a risk to wildlife or people. I'd have to go through the Act to find the section, but from what I recall it's in there.

The difference between supplemental feeding and pruning is pruning will have a long lasting impact and it won't cost you much other than some gas. It's also much better for wildlife.

sawmill
02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Maybe you can give Wayne some pointers on what is positive for H47 to do, instead of what is negative about what he's doing, and trying to help, GG.

Well,as much as I like you Wayne,you should stop feeding the deer.It`s been an easy winter,food is plentifull out in the bush.You may live outside of City limits but only barely.You ain`t doing them any favours as they will hang around town and get killed in the next cull.Or get killed crossing the Hiway to the golf course.I see a lot of Mulie road kill right around there.

rides bike to work
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I've been feeding cob to the black tails around here for a whole now at my trail cam but since jan 1 st they have moved on since and the crows have found it and. I'm getting hundreds of crow pics every week
the crow population is health in the lml

Rattler
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting that GG. Always "heard" deer can die with full belllies when fed alfalfa in the winter but it was good to read the actual study that documented that.

SSS

I second that, thanks for GG for sharing this info...

one-shot-wonder
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Caution should be used by the average Joe wanting to do major pruning. I recommend doing some reading before and acquaint oneself with the native species and be able to recognize which are which as a not all shrubs can be pruned the same. Timing is critical as well.....not all pruning is to be done in the winter!

A rule of thumb as mentioned by GG is thinning or rejuvenating......basically removing old branches any dead or diseased wood. do not remove more than 1/3rd of the shrub.

Another good practise but is rather tedious is pinching. basically removing the stem tips of a young plant to promote branching thus encouraging to grow. If you cant recognize the shrub's age this should be avoided pinching is not recommended in mature or over prime plants.

hunter1947
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I have viewed all posts on my thread and I agree whats been said that feeding deer or other wild animals is a bad thing to do ,,as of today no more feed put out for deer or others...

sawmill
02-02-2013, 09:10 AM
I have viewed all posts on my thread and I agree whats been said that feeding deer or other wild animals is a bad thing to do ,,as of today no more feed put out for deer or others...

As always Wayne,you have my respect.I know the feeling about helping the deer out,I have a half dozen in my yard most days,but,It habituates them,they never leave town and then they get killed.If we could get every mulie out of Kimberley it would double the wild herd around here.Over 300 deer in and around town.They sure do play hell with gardens here,got to fence everything.

greybark
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
For GG or anyone else , There is lots of evidence of birds and their affiliation with feeders that have become infected with Salmonella is a deadly combination . Are there any studys regarding the same with the increase in baiting ungulates ? I know of the serious resperitory problems in horses when exposed to dusty or mouldy hay , would the same apply to ungulates ?
Cheers

GoatGuy
02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
For GG or anyone else , There is lots of evidence of birds and their affiliation with feeders that have become infected with Salmonella is a deadly combination . Are there any studys regarding the same with the increase in baiting ungulates ? I know of the serious resperitory problems in horses when exposed to dusty or mouldy hay , would the same apply to ungulates ?
Cheers

Don't know, haven't seen anything. Supplemental feeding of ungulates with hay, in particular deer, generally isn't supported. There's quite a bit of literature.

GoatGuy
02-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Good for you - spending your spare time pruning local shrubs or getting involved in a noxious weed program would translate into positive benefits for wildlife.

E.V.B.H.
02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
What about oats or other grains for baiting, what is a safe feed for deer?

Jelvis
02-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I feed my mulies with a 150 or 165 grain
Side of a Bullet - Nickelback
Jelly Grains

The Dude
02-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Lol @ ^^^^

J_T
02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Used to be a time in the 90's when hunters could promote, organize and working with MOE carry out habitat thinning and burn programs mostly using volunteer labour. Hunters love giving back. Worked well and we got lots of habitat work done. It brought hunters together. Then Forestry realized they could generate revenue off their suppression crews and rules were put in place to end the volunteer hunter involvement. Hunter involvement ended and so it seems did a lot of the enhancement activity.

one-shot-wonder
02-02-2013, 11:40 PM
JT your right.....a real bummer for sure, but lets be honest if a group of outdoorsmen got together and went "shed picking" throughout the later winter/spring with a brushcutter and saws I honestly dont think anything would come of it......just takes some spearheading and effort.

Thank God football season ends tomorrow, maybe a bit more attention to the outdoors will be paid......i guess until NHL playoffs begin!

hunter1947
02-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Used to be a time in the 90's when hunters could promote, organize and working with MOE carry out habitat thinning and burn programs mostly using volunteer labour. Hunters love giving back. Worked well and we got lots of habitat work done. It brought hunters together. Then Forestry realized they could generate revenue off their suppression crews and rules were put in place to end the volunteer hunter involvement. Hunter involvement ended and so it seems did a lot of the enhancement activity.

Good post J_T Its sad the way things have changed over the last 20 years ,,its all about money into the governments pocket GG come up with a good idea if a person was to head out and prune a few fur threes and others that are becadent for the deer ..

Islandeer
02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I feed my mulies with a 150 or 165 grain
Side of a Bullet - Nickelback
Jelly Grains

Like it!

Great thread.