PDA

View Full Version : What a waste!

gcreek
02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
The neighbor gal down the road is divorced and manages her own ranch and lives alone.

Monday morning she went out with her 2 dogs to feed. On her way to the shop/tractor a small cougar appeared from nowhere and started chasing the dogs around her. She is quite excitable and has a fair vocabulary so it must have been something to witness.

She managed to keep it at bay until she made the tractor, started it and chased the cougar until it left the dogs and went into her shop and hid. She drove back to the house and phoned another neighbor who came over and shot it in the shop. He then phoned me and asked what I had done for reporting when I clubbed one to death in 96.
I said he had two choices, either buy a tag and take a chance no one would squeal or report it and ask for a permit to keep.

He chose to report it and was told he was not allowed to keep it. The Bunny Sherriff said he would be out there immediately to pick the cat up. It is now Friday morning and the cat is still laying in the neighbor gal's shop and starting to stink.

The CO that talked to the neighbor gal tried to put her at fault for "luring" the cougar with her dogs and "containing" it in the shop with the doors wide open.

What a waste of an invaluable keepsake and what a bunch of domineering bullshit from the COS. Who is accountable?

chilcotin hillbilly
02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Who was the CO, that is a tough one to belive. If in fact the CO did try to put her at fault there needs to be some letters written foresure. Infact wasting the hide is a terrible thing and they should be held responsible as well.

gcreek
02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
It was a CO from Quesnel that called her. I will get his name today.

RiverOtter
02-01-2013, 08:44 AM
If the events happened as stated above, it's no wonder why people hesitate to pick up the phone, instead of just grabbing a shovel.........

Stone Sheep Steve
02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
That's crappy. Sounds like he's been hanging around Mr Stewart a little too much.

We're serving cougar at our banquet that killed someone's dog. That's the way it should be.:smile:

SSS

02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Single gal managing a ranch?...that's hot!

hunter1947
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Single gal managing a ranch?...that's hot!

X2 is she my age ???.

The Dude
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Obviously picking up a dead cougar is not high on the list of priorities.
Now.....the Live Cougar that owns the ranch.........well.......

But seriously, Cougars are great eating, I don't think the COs care, as is evidenced by the response. They are understaffed and underfunded, and respect to the guys that try.

Either SS&SU or S & BBQ. We waste no part of the animal.

Jimmy4x4
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
that's one side of the story, for what its worth

srupp
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
hmmm contact Len BUTLER..he's the head CO here..and a stand up guy...I have complete confidence in his abilities and decisions..and as head CO he is acountable for his underlings actions....

sad

steven

Weatherby Fan
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Single gal managing a ranch?...that's hot! X2 is she my age ???.

X3 .......I'm thinking she needs a hand on the ranch !

Yeh Ive been through a similar experience........doesn't usually end well as you quickly turn into the suspect !
WF

gutpile
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
X2 is she my age ???.
Wayne you want to go through all that again ? the forth time ?

HarryToolips
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I'd have picked option A and made some cat chili lol

Stone Sheep Steve
02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I think you desparados have been listening to too many Garth Brooks songs....."that summer" doesn't happen in real life.:p

gcreek
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
that's one side of the story, for what its worth

Those that know me personally would think twice about calling me a liar.

Are you a Bunny Sherriff by chance?

gcreek
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
hmmm contact Len BUTLER..he's the head CO here..and a stand up guy...I have complete confidence in his abilities and decisions..and as head CO he is acountable for his underlings actions....

sad

steven

I've heard some good things about Mr. Butler, unfortunately, when he moved to WL he inherited the Keystone Kops as staff. A very small percentage of the ranching community I know have much positive to say of the COS in the central Cariboo. This is just another case in point.

It seems to me that regs. were if "wildlife" value was under $200 that policy was to let those who asked to keep the "wildlife' in question. Has that changed?

TPK
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
That would be Jeff Pewik.

huntcoop
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
......But seriously, Cougars are great eating...

I bet they are..........you know that from experience..... :lol: !!!

.270boy
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
A rancher shooting a predator on his/her own land.... shoot shovel and shut-up. Why bother with the legal mess.

Steve W
02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Doesn't sound like he called you a liar. Just stated an opinion.

Jimmy4x4
02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Doesn't sound like he called you a liar. Just stated an opinion.

thats right. weve got A rendition of the events and people are quick to jump to conclusions without understanding the cos rationale. quite typical of the haters tho

AltaElkhunter
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
It is nice in alberta that a landowner can shoot cougars all day, and now they can keep it for what ever purpose they want. I geuss they must be getting to the nuisance wildlife stage now. But no one hesitates about calling because they had to shoot them anymore.

blackbart
02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Gcreek - no one called you a liar. Just stated that only one side (and second hand at that) of a story had been told.

I would suggest that your jumping on this makes you more of a poorly informed hot head than a liar. No doubt you will lash out at me for this comment, but I don't mind.

gcreek
02-01-2013, 09:52 PM
That would be Jeff Piwek.

She said the first name was Jeff so I'm thinking you're right TPK.

He did not show again today. I moved the kitty out of her shop to a shed for her this afternoon. Not much of a cat but would have made a conversation piece for the guy that shot it for her.

Not sure what the doubters are irferring to but this woman dislikes liars as much as I do. Our tax dollar at work, $250 in fuel, wear and tear on a govt. vehicle and whatever day wage a CO makes. All for a little cougar worth maybe a hundred bucks? Would have been simpler and cheaper to send a fax giving the cat to whoever wanted it

The Dude
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
thats right. weve got A rendition of the events and people are quick to jump to conclusions without understanding the cos rationale. quite typical of the haters tho

Gcreek - no one called you a liar. Just stated that only one side (and second hand at that) of a story had been told.

I would suggest that your jumping on this makes you more of a poorly informed hot head than a liar. No doubt you will lash out at me for this comment, but I don't mind.

Did someone say "Send in the Clowns"?

Gcreek is a standup guy, he's there on the ranch, and he handled the cat himself.
Read the thread again, and try to comprehend what is being said. Theres no haters, and no hotheads, simply people saying that the cat should have been used in a positive way.
Why are you guys trying to start a fight over nothing. Read the thread if you like, if you don't like, then stay off it.
Simple, ha?

gcreek
02-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Nothing to worry about Dude, I'm well aware of the percentage that would believe that only govt. tells the truth and are quite happy taking the corncob, greased or not.

I have seen and experienced enough of the BS to not have that warm, slippery feeling towards most beaurocrats. Those that actually do work for the people are the salt of the earth. The rest of them ride on their egos and position to create scenarios just like I originally described and worse.

Two close friends of mine quit the COS for this very type of thing happening much too often. They are both damned good men and took their job for what it was, not a playschool using real people as their toys.

Gateholio
02-01-2013, 11:55 PM
They might have had more important matters to attend to, but a phone call to that effect would have been nice. And professional.

gcreek
02-02-2013, 12:10 AM
They might have had more important matters to attend to, but a phone call to that effect would have been nice. And professional.

Then why bother sending a man from Quesnel or WL to the west Chilcotin to pick it up? No law was broken, a landowner had her property protected by a good neighbor when she was unsure of her own ability. Cougars are not protected. There was no reason other than "enforcing the CO's authority" to not write a permit in this issue.

Their actions are not setting a good example for hunters to not leave legally killed game in the bush to rot after photo sessions instead of utilizing it. Same diff, other than CO's are not accountable for their actions unless we hold them accountable.

hunter1947
02-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Wayne you want to go through all that again ? the forth time ?

Your right no I don't thanks for the reminder http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.png....

hunter1947
02-02-2013, 05:38 AM
If I was in this spot and I had a deep freezer I would had waited the day out and if no CO showed up I would have put the dead cat into the freezer till the CO showed up ,,just my two cents...

oclarkii
02-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Someone with a contanct in the CO's office should send them a link to this thread, its a good example of how unprofessionalism and or poor judgement can cast a cloud on the CO's (and of how quickly word spreads these days). There really is no excuse for this, the CO's around here are all packing iPhones, pretty easy to make a call...

dana
02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
She said the first name was Jeff so I'm thinking you're right TPK.

He did not show again today. I moved the kitty out of her shop to a shed for her this afternoon. Not much of a cat but would have made a conversation piece for the guy that shot it for her.

Not sure what the doubters are irferring to but this woman dislikes liars as much as I do. Our tax dollar at work, $250 in fuel, wear and tear on a govt. vehicle and whatever day wage a CO makes. All for a little cougar worth maybe a hundred bucks? Would have been simpler and cheaper to send a fax giving the cat to whoever wanted it

Wow, all this drama over a small little cat. Who Cares?? Do the CO's come out on every road kill and issue permits? Is that their job? Seriously, some of you people need to take things a little less serious. A ton of waste and carnage every day on our highways and you get worked up over a small cougar that was shot without a permit?

Gateholio
02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Then why bother sending a man from Quesnel or WL to the west Chilcotin to pick it up? No law was broken, a landowner had her property protected by a good neighbor when she was unsure of her own ability. Cougars are not protected. There was no reason other than "enforcing the CO's authority" to not write a permit in this issue.

Their actions are not setting a good example for hunters to not leave legally killed game in the bush to rot after photo sessions instead of utilizing it. Same diff, other than CO's are not accountable for their actions unless we hold them accountable.

What I mean is that they may have intended to come but got sidetracked. Which is why I felt a phone call would be in order.

Steve W
02-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Someone with a contanct in the CO's office should send them a link to this thread, its a good example of how unprofessionalism and or poor judgement can cast a cloud on the CO's (and of how quickly word spreads these days). There really is no excuse for this, the CO's around here are all packing iPhones, pretty easy to make a call...

Done......

gcreek
02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
What I mean is that they may have intended to come but got sidetracked. Which is why I felt a phone call would be in order.

That would have been better than nothing. An issued permit in timely fashion so the hide could have been used would have been a good second choice when the CO found that he wasn't coming.

A written apology to those involved should be required.

olympia
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Wow, all this drama over a small little cat. Who Cares?? Do the CO's come out on every road kill and issue permits? Is that their job? Seriously, some of you people need to take things a little less serious. A ton of waste and carnage every day on our highways and you get worked up over a small cougar that was shot without a permit?

Thats because the CO's will a big deal out of it, how they act is how we react. If this went unreported and a co happened to be driving by at that exact moment I can bet it would be a big deal...so there

BiG Boar
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
People are saying what a waste. But what do they think would happen to the cat if the CO came anyways? He would take it away and into the trash it goes. Hate to say it. But that's what happens these days.

huntcoop
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Would have given it to the Indians :roll:

goatdancer
02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
That's a very common strategy. A CO out of Cranbrook told me that sometimes the bad guys do the reporting and do occasionally get tripped up.

This was in response to the post by 'mpotzold'. The reply with quote feature seems to have failed me.

Jimmy4x4
02-02-2013, 06:48 PM
A written apology to those involved should be required.

get fricken serious. like the cos have time and resources to apologize for doing nothing wrong? youve got a hate-on for the cos judging by your posting history thats plain to see and you just want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. get over it princess

Opinionated Ol Phart
02-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Let this thread die-- its BS

The Dude
02-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Actually, Wayne had the best idea on here. Report it, and throw it in the deep freeze so it doesn't spoil. It's a shame that yummy meat went to waste. And the nice rug.

gcreek
02-02-2013, 09:46 PM
get fricken serious. like the cos have time and resources to apologize for doing nothing wrong? youve got a hate-on for the cos judging by your posting history thats plain to see and you just want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. get over it princess

Nope, don't have a hate on for them at all, just disgusted with a system that has no system. It really is a mole hill that the CO's chose to make into a mountain. As was said by another poster, they will just pitch the carcass over a bank somewhere and had no intention of doing otherwise. That makes a lot of sense, huh?

Seems that writing a note of apology would take a lot less time than a 700 km round trip wouldn't it?

I still have a hunch you are either a CO or love the corncob they give you! Get over it or enjoy it Princess.

gcreek
02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Actually, Wayne had the best idea on here. Report it, and throw it in the deep freeze so it doesn't spoil. It's a shame that yummy meat went to waste. And the nice rug.

I doubt that taking care of it would result in any change of the whole thing being pitched. If one were to look after it properly without permission (skin and gut) it would likely involve a little fine to pay.

In 1996 I beat a cougar to death with a 4 foot section of pipe because it had my kid's dog and was killing it. Dog lived. I reported the incident first thing in the morning. There was a CO stationed at Bella Coola then. He was here by 11 AM, heard and saw what took place, wrote me a permit and left. What has changed other than staff?

panhead
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
One good thing about it gcreek, the cat should be really RIPE if a CO ever does show up. Make sure it's out in the sun if you have any...

The Dude
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
gcreek...did you call Len Butler?

gcreek
02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
gcreek...did you call Len Butler?

On a Friday night or Saturday?

Funny how things go, this message was sent me by a rancher north of Williams Lake just tonight. Don't know what the results were.

"I remember when we first spoke regarding predator mitigation, you were rather reserved to compliment the CO system. In fact, I think you made it pretty clear you would rather deal with Dan and Kyle Lay.
While at the time I did not understand your position, I certainly respected it as your opinion.
After the events that transpired over the last three days, I must admit I fully understand and completely support your position.
Funny how experience can change a mindset.
We know who to call the next time we have cougar issues."

The Dude
02-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Uh huh.
Well, as you know I have Rancher pals in the area, and they stopped calling the COs years ago. Started with all the BS trying to get compensation for wolf killed cows, and went on to include the big cats stealing neighbours sheep, so I totally understand if one was to 'forget' to call.

On another note, if Len's concerned about this issue (Incompetent CO's, underfunding), then maybe he would welcome a chance to fix the problem.
If enough people complain that we don't have enough CO's, maybe they'll get more funding.

gcreek
02-02-2013, 11:59 PM
I believe the quantity is sufficient, it is the quality in most that is lacking concerning problem wildlife. Have you ever sat in a meeting where a COS spokesman is telling the gathering how well the system is working for handling of problem wildlife?

And knew that most of the attendees had a different story to tell?

I am aware that a couple of CO's are effective in BC. That doesn't make the rest of them so. Had they not been greedy and THOUGHT they were going to recieve the funding that the Mitigation Program had I believe everyone would be happier today.

Got another message from the rancher N of WL. Waited 3 days for COS to attend. No show. Gave up and called Dan. Cougar dead by noon.

I guess the boys were to busy planning the trip to the Chilcotin. Or charging another rancher for burning twinestring in his yard. Or possibly Tim Horton's had a cookie special on and they just couldn't get away.

Jimmy4x4
02-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Nope, don't have a hate on for them at all

I guess the boys were to busy planning the trip to the Chilcotin. Or charging another rancher for burning twinestring in his yard. Or possibly Tim Horton's had a cookie special on and they just couldn't get away.

yeah, sure looks like you have a lot of love for them. you probably got caught poaching and now they are cookie eating scumbags because they were doing their job and busted you

huntcoop
02-03-2013, 09:57 AM
If this wasn't a thread about pussy I'd say we have the makings of a cat fight, whine on ladies :mrgreen:

gcreek
02-03-2013, 10:13 AM
yeah, sure looks like you have a lot of love for them. you probably got caught poaching and now they are cookie eating scumbags because they were doing their job and busted you

Wrong again Jimmy-on-all-fours.

Give it up, I refuse to match wits with unarmed opponents.

panhead
02-03-2013, 10:24 AM
X2 is she my age ???.

Please send picture of ranch ...

r106
02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not saying the OP is lair, but there are always 2 sides to the story. People seem really judgmental on this thread without knowing the facts from the CO's side. There could be reasons why the cat was taken. Maybe biologists wanted a cat from the area to research for something? look for diseases? I don't know. If the CO's ask questions you don't like maybe there is something that looks suspicious in there eyes? They usually don't come just to right you a permit. They also came to find out what happened, sometimes that involves asking questions you might not like. You have to remember they don't always deal with honest people they deal with liars and poachers as well. If you were really cornered about it going to waist ask the CO's on the phone if could put the cat in a freezer.

As for the late response, who knows what they could be busy with. You said
I believe the quantity is sufficient, it is the quality in most This incident is a good example that we need more CO's. your not going to get quality if they are swamped and running all over the province.

Next time maybe just S.S.S.

biggyun68
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I hit a deer once in the Queen Charlottes and had to shoot it because it was not dead. I reported to the CO and he said he had to ask me some mandatory questions which were How did I hit it and then shoot it; Did I harvest any parts and what did I do with the deer after I shot it...
All mandatory questions... We shouldn't be offended when ask these because they are there to catch the bad guys...
It does sound like the CO could use some professional development in communications skills...
BTW I am not a CO although I would love the job just can't afford to make that wage...

gcreek
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
I hit a deer once in the Queen Charlottes and had to shoot it because it was not dead. I reported to the CO and he said he had to ask me some mandatory questions which were How did I hit it and then shoot it; Did I harvest any parts and what did I do with the deer after I shot it...
All mandatory questions... We shouldn't be offended when ask these because they are there to catch the bad guys...
It does sound like the CO could use some professional development in communications skills...
BTW I am not a CO although I would love the job just can't afford to make that wage...

I fully agree with this post.

The CO that I refer to in my OP made a few accusing statements OVER THE PHONE when the gal CALLED HIM. He maybe should have attended in person and saw for himself what took place before making any assumptions. Not sure if anyone has shown up yet but 5+ days after the fact would be more than a little difficult to do any detective work (tracking etc.) in a busy ranch yard.
The whole deal is legitimate, it is up to the regional manager to approve a permit or not. The cat in this case was not worth $200 and was a threat to human and domestic animal safety. I still maintain that the COS acted wrongly and should be held accountable.

After all, WE pay their wages to uphold the law in an honourable and sensible manner.

Gateholio
02-03-2013, 02:57 PM
WTF is wrong with some of you guys? They did the right thing- called the CO's. They get told that someone will be by to pick it up, but instead it rots. They are annoyed. Understandable.

Now we are getting accusations of poaching and criminal behavior? Shake your heads a bit.

Ambush
02-03-2013, 03:08 PM
It's your own fault gcreek.

That's what you get for being a crusty old rancher still stuck in a time warp where there was an expectation of honest wages for honest work, folks operated on their word, people took them at their word and common sense was common. You probably watched the "Andy Griffith Show" as a kid to. :mrgreen:

gcreek
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
WTF is wrong with some of you guys? They did the right thing- called the CO's. They get told that someone will be by to pick it up, but instead it rots. They are annoyed. Understandable.

Now we are getting accusations of poaching and criminal behavior? Shake your heads a bit.

Aw c'mon Gatehouse, it was all evil landowning ranchers involved. Everyone knows we're crooked, law-breaking, ignorant bas+ards.:twisted::razz::roll:

gcreek
02-03-2013, 03:13 PM
It's your own fault gcreek.

That's what you get for being a crusty old rancher still stuck in a time warp where there was an expectation of honest wages for honest work, folks operated on their word, people took them at their word and common sense was common. You probably watched the "Andy Griffith Show" as a kid to. :mrgreen:

That I are & that I did!

Amphibious
02-03-2013, 03:14 PM
This thread just needs some Anti-Guide/Outfitter and Indian posts to be complete.

gcreek
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
This thread just needs some Anti-Guide/Outfitter and Indian posts to be complete.

That will come when Jagermeister starts in on me!

Apolonius
02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Here it comes.Did anyone check to see if the CO is an ex outfitter with some indian blood?And to you gcreek live and learn.It happened to me before and no more.The bad apples rote the rest.Like your attitude.Never give up a fight.

houndogger
02-03-2013, 03:43 PM
One should not judge till they walk a day in their(co)shoes....

gcreek
02-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Update....

CO Jeff finally phoned neighbor gal all concerned that this issue was on the net. Asked if she was dissatisfied. She said, "It's still here isn't it?" Tuesday before he's coming now.

The Dude
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Well, as Gomer Pyle would say "Surprise, surprise!" Squeaky wheel gets the oil again.

I wonder if one of the smart alecks on this thread is a lurking CO...... :D

The Dude
02-03-2013, 10:03 PM
And if Cos are reading this, take a note......instead of the hide and good meat going to waste, write a friggin' permit and be done with it.
They're ranchers, on their land, not some citiots that 'forgot' to buy a license. You guys have a full plate, we know, but common sense must prevail.
And cheers to all the good work you guys do.

bearvalley
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, as Gomer Pyle would say "Surprise, surprise!" Squeaky wheel gets the oil again.

U can bet, or ones bitch. But there are some good ones among them. Past and present.

Gateholio
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM

Several CO's (and RCMP) are members of HBC. I'm sure that some of them saw this thread, too.

BlacktailStalker
02-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Pretty funny. A ratty cat cant be kept but the number two roosevelt was found and given out on a permit this year by a CO in campbell river.

hunter1947
02-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Pretty funny. A ratty cat cant be kept but the number two roosevelt was found and given out on a permit this year by a CO in campbell river.

Yes Andy I agree its all about the mighty $$$$$ what would the cat be worth compared to them elk antlers LOL if a person called to the CO I found a huge set of elk antlers or sheep horns what do I do with them ???? the CO would be there as fast as they could get there or tell you to bring them in ,,,I found a set of sheep horn one year shed hunting they took them then in a few weeks told me that they wanted $95.00 for them I told them to keep them next time I find sheep horns they stay put I won't be getting them so why bother.....

Steve W
02-04-2013, 10:21 AM
I’m one of the Bunny Sheriff, unprofessional, greedy, Keystone Kop CO's who chose to make mole hills into a mountain, that never works a Friday night or Saturday and has grown fat and lazy eating Tim Horten’s cookies while lurking around HBC. Feel free to PM me on anytime. To complicated to enter into on-line debates like this. I've sent several PMs since I joined HBC to forum members with information and answered specific questions etc. that they have had.

Cheers

Steve

sawmill
02-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Dude8-),How many times I gotta tell you?

Real men NEVER say Yummy.Ever.
Sack up Dude.

biggyun68
02-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Thank-you Steve for sticking up for your profession. And I guess public sector workers in general.

gcreek
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Steve W, since you were good enough to post here maybe you could answer a few questions.

1. Why wouldn't a permit have been issued to the fellow that shot this particular cougar? The cat was definately a threat to human and domestic animal safety.

2. Who in this case (name please) made the decision to not issue a permit?

3. We (ranchers) are allowed to protect our property from wildlife that is a threat. Why would a member take the stance that the lady rancher in this case was the one at fault? This was done over the phone without the member having attended.

I appreciate you posting on this thread. I hope you realize that the reaction and time taken in this case just makes a lot of us have a poorer outlook at the COS. The COS says they are understaffed, how many more/fewer members are there than 20 years ago?
The COS wanted the preditor mitigation program back. It is assumed that they thought the budget for it would be transferred to them, maybe it should have but it didn't. The powers that be should have negotiated that before volunteering it's staff who was not ready for the role. I can't catch wolves effectively either so I hire the best I know, the Lay's. Only internal, political and personal biases are holding the COS from employing them on an as needed basis which would make the COS look a lot better and free up a lot of time for your mandated job descriptions.

Another thing that would put you guys/gals in a better public perception to the ranching community is to leave the flac jackets and sidearms at home when you are invited to meetings. Nothing is more distubing than a law officer thumbing his belt to draw attention to his revolver when giving a presentation. We've all got jobs and we've all got limitations. Sometimes we just have to admit them.

BTW, at my job, I'm on call 24/7 and the pay isn't real good either. Especially when the Queen's charges take a cut too.

GoatGuy
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Steve W, since you were good enough to post here maybe you could answer a few questions.

1. Why wouldn't a permit have been issued to the fellow that shot this particular cougar? The cat was definately a threat to human and domestic animal safety.

2. Who in this case (name please) made the decision to not issue a permit?

3. We (ranchers) are allowed to protect our property from wildlife that is a threat. Why would a member take the stance that the lady rancher in this case was the one at fault? This was done over the phone without the member having attended.

I appreciate you posting on this thread. I hope you realize that the reaction and time taken in this case just makes a lot of us have a poorer outlook at the COS. The COS says they are understaffed, how many more/fewer members are there than 20 years ago?
The COS wanted the preditor mitigation program back. It is assumed that they thought the budget for it would be transferred to them, maybe it should have but it didn't. The powers that be should have negotiated that before volunteering it's staff who was not ready for the role. I can't catch wolves effectively either so I hire the best I know, the Lay's. Only internal, political and personal biases are holding the COS from employing them on an as needed basis which would make the COS look a lot better and free up a lot of time for your mandated job descriptions.

Another thing that would put you guys/gals in a better public perception to the ranching community is to leave the flac jackets and sidearms at home when you are invited to meetings. Nothing is more distubing than a law officer thumbing his belt to draw attention to his revolver when giving a presentation. We've all got jobs and we've all got limitations. Sometimes we just have to admit them.

BTW, at my job, I'm on call 24/7 and the pay isn't real good either. Especially when the Queen's charges take a cut too.

I think you're directing your frustration at the wrong people.

You are touching on systemic issues of funding, political will and accountability. These are the issues that need to be tackled to drive positive change. The people to 'go after' are politicians and supervisors, not necessarily public servants.

COs can't drive policy change, it's the people in Victoria who do that............

gcreek
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
I think you're directing your frustration at the wrong people.

You are touching on systemic issues of funding, political will and accountability. These are the issues that need to be tackled to drive positive change. The people to 'go after' are politicians and supervisors, not necessarily public servants.

COs can't drive policy change, it's the people in Victoria who do that............

Haven't got much time GG, a couple of flats on my hay trailer to fix.

The policy for permitting in this area is set by the Regional Manager in Williams Lake. So is predator management and mitigation. You may forget that I was a witness in Kyle Lay's appeal.

Personna is created by individuals, not masses.

GoatGuy
02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Haven't got much time GG, a couple of flats on my hay trailer to fix.

The policy for permitting in this area is set by the Regional Manager in Williams Lake. So is predator management and mitigation. You may forget that I was a witness in Kyle Lay's appeal.

Personna is created by individuals, not masses.

I remember.

Why don't you direct your questions and frustration at the regional manager then? If no joy, keep talking to the media.

gcreek
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I remember.

Why don't you direct your questions and frustration at the regional manager then? If no joy, keep talking to the media.

For the simple reason that beaurocrats are like cockroaches. They will keep doing their own little things, going about their business in their own little world without worry of consequences until the light hits them. Those that manage in govt. don't like light shed on what they are up to.

What BETTER LIGHT than the World Wide Web?

It is vocal people like me that question govt. policies that might have an effect on the use of a little common sense. Too bad so many are complacent with the status quo.

You and I shouldn't argue, I am as narrow minded as you are! I do believe we are both going in the same direction. I just happen to be a little more direct in my speech than most.

Jimmy4x4
02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
politicians dont give a rats ass about what is posted by old ranchers with an axe to grind on hbc. and they certainly wont respond to endless attacks on cos with limited resources that are just trying to do their jobs the best they can with what they have. politicians will respond to letters from and meetings with concerned constituents. too bad some people would rather fix a flat tire than give 20 minutes of their precious lives to make a difference for both conservation officers and wildlife in this province. I guess its much easier to bitch from the sidelines, and what fun would there be if there were nothing to bitch about?

gcreek
02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Jimmy, have ya ever heard the saying "Better to keep your mouth shut and let others think you a fool than to open your mouth and proove you are." ?

You have no idea who I've had some candid discussions with.

Gateholio
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
I see Fisher Dude is still winning hearts and minds. :)

gcreek
02-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I see Fisher Dude is still winning hearts and minds. :)

Is that Ol' Dud? :-D

Can you bring up the self portrait he posted last winter of the fat steer in a china shop Gate?:twisted:

The Dude
02-04-2013, 11:15 PM
I figured that was him, that ole silver tongued honey-dripper ;-)

f350ps
02-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Is that Ol' Dud? :-D

Can you bring up the self portrait he posted last winter of the fat steer in a china shop Gate?:twisted:
Ha...ha...ha...I can't believe it took this long for you guys to figure this out! Just look at any thread that has N.D.P. in it and it's pretty obvious. Start a thread about "Pasha" being gay and he'll out himself as fast as a fat kid on a smarty! K

TexasWalker
02-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Ha...ha...ha...I can't believe it took this long for you guys to figure this out! Just look at any thread that has N.D.P. in it and it's pretty obvious. Start a thread about "Pasha" being gay and he'll out himself as fast as a fat kid on a smarty! K

http://www.crawlinbc.com/forum/images/smilies/rollingfloor.gifhttp://www.crawlinbc.com/forum/images/smilies/rollingfloor.gifhttp://www.crawlinbc.com/forum/images/smilies/rollingfloor.gifhttp://www.crawlinbc.com/forum/images/smilies/rollingfloor.gifhttp://www.crawlinbc.com/forum/images/smilies/rollingfloor.gif

gcreek
02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Rotten kitty was picked up yesterday by TWO CO's. I thought they were so overworked that they couldn't spare a man?

TWO to pick up a dead 50 lb cougar from a single middle aged Grandma?

houndogger
02-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Rotten kitty was picked up yesterday by TWO CO's. I thought they were so overworked that they couldn't spare a man?

TWO to pick up a dead 50 lb cougar from a single middle aged Grandma?

Do farmers fishermen and Indians every stop crying and holding their hands out?

I assume this lady was not near a town and did you think maybe they were doing more then picking up her cat?

gcreek
02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Contrary to general opinion, I'm more of a hands off than hands out type. Proven when I choose to hire the Lays to trap wolves for me than use the free services of the COS.

Now it is a possibility they had more to do. There were just some thoughts posted on this thread that the CO's were so understaffed/busy that they couldn't attend immediately. If this is the case why would two men come all this way together.

You realize on that long a drive, we taxpayers foot the bill for overtime, motels and meals? For two?

Maybe they were trying out a new coffee house? :-D

houndogger
02-06-2013, 09:49 PM
We all know your the spokesman for the lays on here....was that the hole point of this thread?

gcreek
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
We all know your the spokesman for the lays on here....was that the hole point of this thread?

Does that upset you?

The "whole" point of this thread was to show the inconsistancies of MOE staff in their decisions and the waste of taxpayer dollars spent on needless tasks created internally.

If there had been anything sideways about this topic I would have seen the justification for actions taken. Although in a more timely fashion.

houndogger
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Nope not a bit, but you have no clue on what a datheirs cos shoes are do you?

gcreek
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Your search - datheirs cos shoes - did not find any results.
Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.

Try slacking off on whatever you're drinking or smoking, we'll try again tommorow.

Whonnock Boy
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Your search - datheirs cos shoes - did not find any results.
Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.

Try slacking off on whatever you're drinking or smoking, we'll try again tommorow.

Touché! lol....

houndogger
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
That all you got? Tough typing on a iPhone on your co bashing threads auto correct should have fixed that for me. Will the gov help me with my phone? Sure you will come up with another useless thread to bash hard working people...rains to much...not enough rain...deer are eating my crops...predators are eating my stock...crying here with my hands out lol

The Dude
02-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I, for one, know exactly what a datheirs cos shoes does.
But I'm keeping it to myself.