PDA

View Full Version : Trail cams, tree stands and blinds.

Lozzie
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Just wondering how many guys bother with setting up cams and blinds prior to the season opening. Also how much time do you spend up in a tree as opposed hunting spot and stalk. I'm hunting on the island and I'm just trying prioritize whether to pick up a trail cam or a tree stand next. I've had good opportunities on Bucks hiking with the bow but have yet to close the deal.

Ron.C
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
I have my cams up all year. I like to setup treestands at least a month before I hunt them and I clear a quiet route into the stand.

When I get in my stands on the island, I like to sit all day. Most of my Island treestand kills have been between 0930 and 2 pm. Then seems like I haven't shot anythging else until the last half hour of daylight.

You can scout without a trail cam and you can hunt without a treestand, but I think you need to be in the right spot above anything else, so I'd get a trail cam first.

If your on a budget and need the use of a stand come hunting season, drop me a PM. I have several and rarely have all of them up.

300H&H
02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
I "try" to set up or build my ground blinds before the season but free time is hard to come by.
If I am hunting a area with good deer sign I do not build a complete blind in one day.
Rather I will add to it every time I go in.
The deer accept this very easily compared to a blind just set up that they are not used to.

The Hermit
02-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Id say trail cam(s) first so you know where to set the tree stand.

trapperdan2061
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
If your out in the field alot you can find the most used trails and place your stands any time, I use 4 trail cams year round.

NOW HERE THIS AND I HAVE PROOF POSITIVE THIS WORKS

"ask the Hermit"

Put up you stand and get a pair of coveralls stuff them with plastic and sew close put this in the stand and make a hook on the back of the tree, go into your stand every week ot two and rotate the dummy in and out of the stand that way when deer season comes you can drop all your arrows on the ground while trying to get a shot or even miss a shot then climb down and retrive a droped arror and bingo shoot the deer as they just wont ruun away.

Lozzie
02-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info and the offer Ron.

I have my cams up all year. I like to setup treestands at least a month before I hunt them and I clear a quiet route into the stand.

When I get in my stands on the island, I like to sit all day. Most of my Island treestand kills have been between 0930 and 2 pm. Then seems like I haven't shot anythging else until the last half hour of daylight.

You can scout without a trail cam and you can hunt without a treestand, but I think you need to be in the right spot above anything else, so I'd get a trail cam first.

If your on a budget and need the use of a stand come hunting season, drop me a PM. I have several and rarely have all of them up.

The Hermit
02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
If your out in the field alot you can find the most used trails and place your stands any time, I use 4 trail cams year round.

NOW HERE THIS AND I HAVE PROOF POSITIVE THIS WORKS

"ask the Hermit"

Put up you stand and get a pair of coveralls stuff them with plastic and sew close put this in the stand and make a hook on the back of the tree, go into your stand every week ot two and rotate the dummy in and out of the stand that way when deer season comes you can drop all your arrows on the ground while trying to get a shot or even miss a shot then climb down and retrive a droped arror and bingo shoot the deer as they just wont ruun away.

LOL Okay its true! Bass Ttard!

Lozzie
02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Sounds like trail cams are the way to go any suggestions on what type or brand is best for the buck?

Ambush
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Sounds like trail cams are the way to go any suggestions on what type or brand is best for the buck?

I would rather have one or two good ones than five or six cheap [unreliable] ones. It's VERY disappointing to to be following a set of huge buck or bull tracks that are going right past your camera, only to find that the cam malfunctioned or ate it's batteries in a week, giving you no pics.

Size does matter if you're trying to conceal it. But many will say that cheap and disposable [theft] is a better investment.

Personally, I use better cameras and that makes me take better care when setting it up. Steel boxes made to fit, and concealment. All the commercial built boxes, that I've handled, are not much of a deterrence to any thief. Usually big and square, an unnatural shape in the woods that's easily seen. Make sure you have a hood over it to prevent frost and rain/snow from obscuring the sensors and lens. Easily made from small, plastic containers and some camo duct tape.

Below is my favorite cam. Small, takes great pics and video and the batteries [eight AA] last for ever, even in the coldest months. I last changed them in September and they're still good after thousands of pics.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Cam_box_2.JPG

Trail cams are great fun, even if you never kill an animal that you have pics of. It keeps you out in your hunting area more often, which translates to more intimacy with it's inhabitants. Sometimes when it's off season and you are more relaxed, you see and learn more than during the intense few days you have to make it happen on a hunt. Sometimes just knowing there is an animal around, even if you've never seen it, can inspire you to put in that extra effort that will pay off.

Ron.C
02-02-2013, 12:52 PM

I have a couple cheap old moultries D55's that still work. But the trigger speed isn't great, pic quality is so so, and they are bulky. but for the most part, they tell me what I need to know

I also bought two moutrie M80's a couple years back. You can get them or the next model up for under $150 without too much looking. And often, allot cheaper. They use 8 AA's and last forever and very compact.

But have a look at this website, pretty good reviews and data comparison. Help you make a more informed decision.

http://www.trailcampro.com/

afflicted 1
02-06-2013, 08:42 PM
i hunt and see a lot of deer from my summit climber, i have even gone into new areas climbed and chopped 2" limbs on the way up and had deer in with in an hour. mule deer are hard to pattern even with the cams, bait and private ag fields get you good pics maybe