PDA

View Full Version : Which game/trail camera?

sarnold
01-31-2013, 06:28 PM
I've been looking at trail cams, I just want something that will take clear still pics don't care about the video....Price below 200, I've narrowed it down to two I think:
The bushnell 8.0 mp Bone collector trophy
or the moultrie game spy m-880
Both are priced at 159, I hate reading reviews because you never know what to believe
anybody with any input??
thanxs

A killer
01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Watch camofire.com you will get stealth and bushnell cams to your door for $139.00. Both are great cams

KTownKiller
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
I know you don't like reviews, but I found great trail cam reviews on, http://www.chasingame.com/ (http://www.chasingame.com/). They are totally unbiased and really put the cams through some serious testing. I went with some cams made in Canada, from Spypoint. They have been great and the customer service is great also. You can go on their website to download new updates to keep the cams working great also. I bought the cams through Gander Mountain, but they only ship within the U.S. The shipping was free though. I got mine for only $99 each, and a friend just got one from Cabelas (Canada) for $130. I've had them out for many months at a time taking hundreds of great pics with no troubles like many other cams have. My first has been out for almost 2 years. I rarely have to change batteries (6 AA) even through winter. The infrared flash doesn't scare game and reaches farther than most any cam. From what I can see on Chasingame, I'm not impressed with the black flash cams. Spypoint cams also can lock to a tree with a cable lock better than some, and they are really easy to use, even I can use them!:smile: I haven't looked at cams for a year, so maybe things have changed. It's worth checking out Chasingame for their latest reports. Their reports mention many broblems with some cams that I've heard to be true from other people.
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/PICT1406_zps54eaccd5.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/nacheson/PICT0273_zps55e962c4.jpg

WKCotts
01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Stay away from stealth cam. Been thru 3 of them. No battery life and you'll be lucky if they last a year

Carnivore King
01-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Pics taken with bone collector. I have 2 and ones not working anymore..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?81447-Winter-Trail-Cam-Pics

The Hermit
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
SpyPoint cams available at site sponsor VantagePoint Outfitters too!

Lionhill
01-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Not sure if this interests you, but if you check the Canadian Tire flyer tomorrow, there's a deal for 2 game cameras for $80 ($40 each). They are only 2 Mp and have mixed reviews, but the majority of people seem to like them.

LH

TheProvider
01-31-2013, 08:39 PM
What type of area will you be using them? Are you using bait or an attractant? The more you learn about trail cameras the more you'll see that there is no "perfect" trail cameras. Different cameras work best in certain situations and areas. Then there are some that simply dont work and or are not realiable. Of the cameras you mentioned. Bushnell cameras are great unless you get a dud. There customer service can be iffy. The moultrie may have a slighlty slower trigger speed but not bad. I have had issues with them in the fall and spring when the weather jumps back and fourth from freezing to not freezing.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Stay away from stealth cam. Been thru 3 of them. No battery life and you'll be lucky if they last a year

I'll second that.

Watch for the bushnell trophy cams when they go on sale. Battery life can't be beat.

SSS

sarnold
01-31-2013, 10:26 PM
On sale now for 159 regular 249:)

358mag
01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
On sale now for 159 regular 249:)
Any idea were there on sale ?????

KTownKiller
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM

I've got a friend that has a junk stealth also. Battery life and customer service can't be beat with Spypoint. And remember, they are one of the only, maybe the only company that gives downloadable updates for free directly off their website onto an SD card and into the cam. They always work great, and they are made in Canada, NOT China. Bushnell cams aren't even made by Bushnell, and they can be CRAP! Some of my friends have learnt the hard way, and are now gett'n Spypoints.

sarnold
01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Cabelas :)

todbartell
02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
I really like the uway 150 & Bushnell trophy cams, although the TC's often will just take a pile of pics of nothing at all randomly....

Ive own 3 Moultrie m80's and they're good too.

Tascos, StealthCam and Wildgames.......not going to buy them again

knightcc
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I can't speak for the other kinds, but I have 3 Wildgame Innovation cams and they work fine for me especially for their $80 US cost at Cabelas. Very easy setup and battery life is good even in the cold. Good reviews on Cabelas.com is what sold me and after two seasons, they have all stood up fine. I don't care about video, just want to know what is/isn't hanging around a particular spot. Daytime pics are clear and night time pics are fine. Flash could maybe be better but I'm not going to spend 3-400 bucks on a camera. I would rather have more decent cameras than one or two good ones.