PDA

View Full Version : cfsc question.

shadowhunter
01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,
I have chosen to challenge my CFSC with silvercore next month and i was wondering if you actually look down the bore of the gun or is that a big no-no? Such as in this video at 4:00 (i know this video uses a handgun but i have seen it done with pump actions and semi auto's aswell) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRTsnPSNrA
is this proper? or will it be a red flag on my challenge? How else do you examine the bore?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

ShadowHunter

The Dawg
01-31-2013, 02:09 PM
I would not look down the bore

Ask them for a bore lite or a flashlight to examine and make sure to talk them through what you are doing.

"I'm examining the chamber, I'm making sure the safety is on..."

That way there is no doubt from them that you missed a spot

wrenchhead
01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Ya for sure you have to look down the bore to check for obstructions, the gun must be proven safe first of course.

Gateholio
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Or use a cleaning rod.

greenhorn
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
The instructor I took my course from was ex military and wouldn't look down the bore from the muzzle end - he was vehement that it wasn't necessary. He told stories of his military time and about how if you were caught looking down the muzzle of your rifle that you were read the riot act... not sure if he was embellishing or not...

If it's a bolt action, remove the bolt and peer through the back of the chamber while pointing the barrel in a safe direction.

Any other action ask for a cleaning rod or bore light.

Personally, I don't like looking down the muzzle end of the bore. Even when I know the bolt is out and everything is safe, it still makes me queasy....

22lr
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey, When I took my course the thought was that if you properly followed your acts and prove steps, that looking down the barrel shouldn't be problem I know the thought of staring down the barrel makes some people uncomfortable so as suggested a cleaning rod, a bore light, or even bouncing some light of your thumbnail down the barrel all work just as well.

r106
01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Yes you can look down the bore to "Examine the bore" after your A.C.T.S and P.R.O.V.E. AND your action is open 100% not a problem. Besides after you have done that the firearm is just a harmless piece of metal.

landphil
01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
My thought is that the method of checking the bore for obstructions should be the way you would in the field, so that skips the cleaning rod for me. I don't know how they teach guys to do it in the current CFSC, but when I took mine years ago, there was no issue looking down "an empty piece of pipe", after one double checked the firearm as safe and left the action open. At that point there is nothing left to chance, and nothing mystical about it. Hopefully some of the guys who teach the course or took it recently can chime in on what the testing procedures are though, and good luck to you.

Fella
01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
I took my CFSC in July and they told me to look down the barrel once I've done my ACTS and PROV (The E being examine the bore). As was mentioned earlier, if you've properly cleared the firearm, there should be nothing to worry about.

Singleshotneeded
01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
I took my CFSC in July and they told me to look down the barrel once I've done my ACTS and PROV (The E being examine the bore). As was mentioned earlier, if you've properly cleared the firearm, there should be nothing to worry about.

Absolutely, with the action open and the gun empty there are no bogey men that are going to get anyone. :-D
Really, some peeps get the willies putting a silver coin by the open action and looking down the muzzle in a bright room? :-D
Perhaps you should "tinkle first", so if you "catch a fright" you won't pee in your panties, lol? ;-D

shadowhunter
01-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, thanks so much for the info. I did a quick YouTube of silvercore and a bunch of video's came up and they just used a cleaning rod so i guess ill just do the same. I understand in the field how a cleaning rod is an inconvenience, i guess ill just pack a bore snake. Thanks to everyone who posted info! Ill let you guys know how it goes!

Singleshotneeded
01-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Good luck and kick butt! :-)

albravo2
02-13-2013, 08:24 PM
sorry, i'm a little late to the thread but if it still matters my examiner handed me an old lever action rifle and a rod that I could use to push down to ensure it was clear of obstruction.

it was an interesting choice of gun because it only had a 'half cock' safety so i had no choice but to pull the trigger (with my thumb on the hammer) to engage the safety. pretty much exactly what they tell you not to do.

bccanadian
02-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Absolutely, with the action open and the gun empty there are no bogey men that are going to get anyone. :-D
Really, some peeps get the willies putting a silver coin by the open action and looking down the muzzle in a bright room? :-D
Perhaps you should "tinkle first", so if you "catch a fright" you won't pee in your panties, lol? ;-D

AHAHAHAHA snort choke gasp gasp AHAHAHAHA

shadowhunter
02-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Hey guys another quick question, I am taking my non restricted firearms test. Will there still be questions about restricted firearms on the test and will I have to prove a Handgun?

firstshot
02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey guys another quick question, I am taking my non restricted firearms test. Will there still be questions about restricted firearms on the test and will I have to prove a Handgun?

NO, restricted firerarms will not be a part of your test. I would also not go with the cleaning rod method because I would think a person would have a better chance of pointing the gun in the wrong direction while fidling around with the rod. Chances are you will be a bit nervous for the test so the simpler you can make it the better. If you PROVE it safe you have nothing to worry about.

shadowhunter
02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
I passed! I just wanted to thank everybody for the info and i heads up, the examiner told me that if i pointed the gun at myself (I didn't ask whether loaded or unloaded) that it would be a fail. I just used the rod and all went fine! 100% on written and a 92% on practical!
Thanks a bunch,
ShadowHunter