PDA

View Full Version : Smithers area deer hunting

kilometers
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
After countless hours chasing the few deer we have in terrace I wanna make my way down to the Smithers area to find some

does anybody no of or how to find hunter friendly farm land for bow or rifle?

anybody wanna point me in the right direction or no of some logging roads that have high deer population in the area?

i have been hunting the islands on the skeena in the terrace area seen lots of tracks but
Yet to even see one. My brother spooked a couple does

anybody ever successful in deer hunting in terrace?

Caribou_lou
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Good luck finding land to hunt on. I live here and I just recently was granted permission on some decent property. Really not much for deer here also. lots of predation last couple years combined with bad winters.Larger populations as you get closer to Fraser lake.

Osprey
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I have hunted the area quite hard for three years. The area has few deer but some amazing deer. Seen a crazy amount of bucks with non-typical frames. Lots of regular bucks with lots of kickers. Gettin permission is like winning the lottery unfortunately. It's tough to find access. Check out the cut locks up tatlow road. Up babine lake area up to around 50km up the road. Haven't seen much deer past there. Up the telkwa mountains there is some good deer populations as does the hungry hill area. If you like hiking. Late season in November is always the best time. And most hunters in the area have shot or seen many big bucks. The telkwa high road hides the a lot of deer late season. Just good luck getting permission

kilometers
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I forgot to mention I'm not a road hunter and prefer to be on my feet hunting.
So it sounds like farm land is a no go for me. I will do some research on the said logging roads.

Do you think I would have much luck in the telkwa pass area. I could camp on the terrace side 50km up and get into the Smithers / telkwa ranges by quad from their ?

thanks again guys, just wish they would open a bow season in prince rupert

pronghorn
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Houston is good for deer head out the mine road and do some hiking

Osprey
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I have seen more deer towards telkwa than up near the mountains. If you like hiking. Hike the blunt. SSome good bucks in the high country. Early season alpine. Not much pressure either.

MichelD
01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
A member named silvicon used to be helpful about the area but he seems to have been banned.

I saw the same name written on claims staked in Region 6 last fall.

meesemoot
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
A member named silvicon used to be helpful about the area but he seems to have been banned.

I saw the same name written on new mining claims staked in Region 6 last fall.

That would likely be from Silvicon Services, the forestry consulting company.

MichelD
01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
"That would likely be from Silvicon Services, the forestry consulting company."

Thanks for that.

rageous
01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
I ve heard smithers has some big bucks. But so does alot of other areas. If your looking for just a tag filler head farther east, more deer.

shooter300
01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Just East of Smithers head up the Smithers landing road, follow that into the chapman lk area, You'll link up to the North Rd. there are several roads in there for hunting. guess Road,betty east, and betty West, and deception rd as you go on the north road you'll come across the jonny david road. I hunted this area 20 years ago seen some pretty nice Deer.hope this helps. worth checking out. Oh yeah lots of moose too. Cheers

Smithers
01-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Nope, no deer here, don't know what you are talking about. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness as you can gather from previous responses our deer herd is not overly strong. Few great bucks get taken every year but those are from the people who own property and poke one from the front porch. (might be some jealousy there). This year I put on tons of kms chasing but saw maybe 5 does and one buck (a 3pt in the 4pt season). And I'm hunting crown land right next to prime private land.

Preadtion has taken a large toll. Ive come accross numerous kills and the last day of the season as i was walking into "my" area i cut the tracks of a pack of 9 wolves. Followed them and called but no luck drawing them back out of the thick timber. I've been thinking of heading east myself to try fill a deer tag. Last and only deer i shot was a spindly 1x2 from right beside Chapman lake.