PDA

View Full Version : Scope problem??

russm86
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
So, I find this kind of odd and don't know what to make of it and figured maybe others have experienced this or can give an idea of what may be going on here. Anyways, I have an older straight 4x30 bushnell scope and it seems other people can't see through it, yet I don't seem to have any troubles with it. It was on my dads .308 until one year he suddenly couldn't see through it anymore. I had a look at it, I could see fine, I had him check a couple of my scopes and he could see through them fine. So I replaced the scope on his rifle and at the time I just chalked it up to his old age and the fact he never had very good eyes to begin with and they have been getting a little worse as of lately (along with his hearing). I put his old scope from the .308 on to a .22 I have which just had a straight 1x rimfire scope on it and it was even older. Anyways, I have been using the .22 just fine with that scope on it now, I can see just fine. Then I went out shooting a few weeks ago with the gf. Well she had never shot any kind of rifle before so I gave her the .22 and she kept saying she couldnt see through the scope, I tried having her switch eyes and move her head back and forth figuring it was just a matter of alignment or dominant eye combined with her inexperience, still couldn't seem to get it but didn't think much of it as that scope has been on there a couple years now with no problems for me. A week later we went out shooting again and I let her shoot my .204ruger, well she was instantly hitting her targets, quite well I might say, and she said the difference was she could actually see through the scope, thats when the light bulb went on, that was the same scope my dad had on his .308 that he couldn't see through. I'm starting to think it maybe just isn't coincidence, I had the .22 with me, she still couldnt see through it and I let a few other friends have a try at it and 2 of the 5 of them also had issues seeing through the scope and I think they have all shot before. So this leads to my question, how can some people see through the scope just fine and others not be able to see a damn thing through the exact same scope?

Drillbit
01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I tried having her switch eyes and move her head back and forth?

Haha.

Some scopes are more sensitive than others and need the right distance & sight plane to see through properly. I see lots of inexperienced shooters have problems lining up scopes. Doesn't explain why your Dad started not seeing through it though.
I had a scope with a loose lense in it after falling out of the back of the truck with. It would be fine, then you wouldn't see through it, if you shook it a bit it would line up agian. Sent it back for repair and it was replaced for free.

bighornbob
01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Two problems I see right away.

One its a Bushnell, and

Two, its old.

Time to get a new scope.

BHB

russm86
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Yea, I agree, I hate bushnell though their old stuff seems 10x the quality of their newer stuff. I was planning on replacing it as its only a .22 just seems very weird to me though for this to happen.