PDA

View Full Version : how far away are the animals you hunt

rides bike to work
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
deer elk bears

how much time do you spend behind the glass looking for that far off criter compare to time creeping through game trails in thick bush waiting to bump that critter 50ft off

I personaly spend most of my time probably 90% pushing bush on game trails but ive been spending some time on the google earth and am thinking about switching up strategies and spend more time in higher open country and letting the glass do the walking

just looking for opinions on how some of the pros on here spend their time on the hunt

Gateholio
01-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Depends entirely upon the terrain. If long distance glassing is possible, it's a great way to hunt. Saves lots of time.

hunter1993ap
01-29-2013, 11:13 PM
you will have to spend hours getting to the open stuff to glass, so its going to be a lot of work either way.

Trophyslayer
01-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Depends totally on terrain You can spend a few hours glassing a mountain side and see a lot more animals and cover a larger area than just still hunting and hoping there's your prey somewhere in the bush. Spot and stalk is the way I like to hunt

Mr. Dean
01-30-2013, 04:28 AM
you will have to spend hours getting to the open stuff to glass, so its going to be a lot of work either way.

x2
It goes hand in hand.

hunter1947
01-30-2013, 04:37 AM
In my younger years for elk I picked a mountain that looked good for elk started out at daylight worked the mountain all day long till Late in the day ,,left enough daylight to get back out of the bush before dark set in..

Some days I would put on 20k I hunted thicker bush so I could not see openings to glass if that hard days work did not come up with very little I would pick another mountain or draw to work kept doing this till I found elk ,,then when I found an area where there was a few elk I would work them trying to get a bull in for a shot.

Most years I only had one stab for elk on a hunt I was a working man and only had two weeks to hunt them ,,living on Vancouver island isolated me from being able to hunt them on weekends and after work.

I had to make the best of elk hunting with them two weeks every year ,,most times it took me the first week to find them then when I found elk then the second week was trying to get a poke at one,,,I found out that the more miles you put on in the bush the better your chances are..

Many of my partners never wanted to go out with me because of the many miles I would put on when out there in the mountains hunting for elk ,,many of times I would solo hunt and many times come back to camp after I cleaned out my elk and headed back to get help....

When I showed up back to camp the first thing they would say when arrived how far back is this one LOL I would say to them for this one its only about 6k back into this draw LOL.

The last few years I have slowed down and don't do that crazy stuff going back 10 k to find elk I limit my self to about 3k to get an elk out

For the members that saw this post of mine I screwed up putting the wrong KL up was 20 not 30 I just changed it to 20k from 30k I hit the wrong key..

jtred
01-30-2013, 07:47 AM
I like to slowly make my way up with the wind in my favour glassing as I go. It never ceases to amaze me how the terrain can change every few steps. In really promising country where there is lots to glass and check out it can take me forever to cover any real distance. The day,weather, terrain, and how I feel about an area all play a part in how I hunt any given day.

HarryToolips
01-30-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm no pro, I only got 4 seasons under my belt, but when I hunt deer and moose I like to cover ground spot/stalk, although still hunting in thick bush where there's good sign is lotsa fun too..For black bear in the spring I like spot/stalking the sunny slopes with green grass, that's what they like then as their just trying to fill their bellies with anything...

The Dude
01-30-2013, 08:17 AM
When I hunt Elk, it's like 11 hours drive......damn far.

Rhyno
01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
I have recently been introduced to glassing....since then I have seen a lot more animals and saved a fair bit of boot leather, but getting to them is another story all together!

J_T
01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
For elk I hunt drainages. They are big animals and move about quickly. Glassing and making a plan. Long days, 4AM start midnight to bed.
For Deer I hunt pockets and use tree stands. Almost don't need binos.
Bears and Turkey, cruise roads and look for sign
Muley and Goats, climb high, glass, spot and stalk.

Completely different styles.