PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Trapping 2013

proguide66
01-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Well , here we go ! Not too heavy into it yet , but going to be.Here's a new vid , interesting to some , not to others! lol There's cool pics in middle and end.:mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXzU-9e5ffM&feature=share&list=UUALaO58yDzt0djpHNGZqCDA

Fella
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Hell yeah I've been looking forward to a thread like this!

Bc Deer Hunter
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Great video, this is going to be good!! :D

pnbrock
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
looks good can't wait for more!!

warnniklz
01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
I've been waiting for this for awhile now!

hunter1993ap
01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
this thread is great. i'm looking forward to seeing your success.

Elkaholic1977
01-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Cant wait for the next video!

BlacktailStalker
01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Good stuff looks like a lot of fun.

Iltasyuko
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Awsome and nice to see all the positive comments on the YouTube video.

landphil
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
The "dog days of winter" have begun...:-D

Skull Hunter
01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
This is exciting! Hope you hammer them this year!

RiverOtter
01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Awsome video....

The Dude
01-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Best of luck from the Wolftracker crew! (More data....YAYYYYY!)

Brew
01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Looking forward to this thread. Just past my trappers course on Sunday. Thanks for the snaring tutorial PG

Skull Hunter
01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Noticed you didn't seem to take any scent elimination.precautions... Was this just a demonstration video or are you finding the wolves down there less weary of human scent?

TyTy
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Happy to see this thread. Just in camp at sloquet creek right now; this place is loaded with coyotes (and res dogs).

looking foward to the predator head count, good luck!!

just hunt
01-29-2013, 08:54 PM
As always awesome video proguide .can't wait for the next one.

proguide66
01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Noticed you didn't seem to take any scent elimination.precautions... Was this just a demonstration video or are you finding the wolves down there less weary of human scent?
It's literally impossible to fool a wolfs nose. We give off scent particles from head to toe non stop, the only way to eliminate it is if we could have a space suit . Wolves are built differently than dogs in the nose dept. I can't remember the numbers (can get them though) but a wolf has many many MANY more 'scent sensors ' in their noses as opposed to any highly trained tracking canine.
As you go along trapping , you learn little 'dirty tricks' to sucker them. I'm not expecting the snare in the vid to nail anything for at least a few weeks .In that time my scent should be washed out.But then again, you never know , might be one in there right now !!:twisted:

huntcoop
01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Good luck and have fun PG also looking forward to the snared coug videos once you dig them up.

hunter1993ap
01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
It's literally impossible to fool a wolfs nose. We give off scent particles from head to toe non stop, the only way to eliminate it is if we could have a space suit . Wolves are built differently than dogs in the nose dept. I can't remember the numbers (can get them though) but a wolf has many many MANY more 'scent sensors ' in their noses as opposed to any highly trained tracking canine.
As you go along trapping , you learn little 'dirty tricks' to sucker them. I'm not expecting the snare in the vid to nail anything for at least a few weeks .In that time my scent should be washed out.But then again, you never know , might be one in there right now !!:twisted:

how often do you check your snares? when you do check them do you stay a ways away?

proguide66
01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
I NEVER walk the wolf trails . When 'normally' setting , I follow as far off to the side as possible till I spy a snare point on their route ( un less I already know they are going to travel there) I 'speed set' as fast ad possible to try and leave less scent as possible. I come into it from the side and back away again.i would NEVER spend as much time at a snare spot as I did in the video... But I'll bet I get one in that very snare anyway !
I check every week .

finngun
01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
how often 'wrong' animale get got wolf snare? coyote-lynx-cougar-dog :confused: thanx f-g .....good luck with big bad wolf

bearvalley
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM

They may not be a space suit but a pair of gloves boiled in a pot of soup made up of the most common tree branches, leaves or needles will go a long ways toward covering scent. This could make the difference of a snare or trap being effective in an hour or two instead of a few weeks.
A canine nose is a canine nose. The difference is that a wolfs is much more finely tuned to its environment than the average dog. Along with that a wolf
seems to have a sixth sense that triggers if something is out of place. Screw up on a wolf setup once and not to often will you get a second chance. I'm
not being negative, it's great to see guys out there trying to thin down wolf numbers but wolves that become snare and trap shy are pretty hard to deal
with.

Sellis75
01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Good Luck. Hope to see a bunch of wolves down for the count.

Gateholio
01-29-2013, 10:55 PM
It's 2013....time to learn to embed videos, dude! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXzU-9e5ffM&feature=share&list=UUALaO58yDzt0djpHNGZqCDA

Rackmastr
01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Very cool video!!!

This is my first 'winter' in BC, and I decided to set up a wolf bait for hunting purposes. I set it in a spot that I'd seen quite a few tracks in November but the wolves have obviously left for a while as they havent been around the bait at all in the last 2 weeks. I've really caught an interest to this whole 'baiting' thing and will be focussing a lot more efforts into it next year!! I think if I had a sled or a quad I could have spent more time searching for country further from a truck and scouted for tracks a bit better. Next year hopefully!!

Hopefully will take a Trappers course sometime this summer/fall if possible, as I think the knowledge would be cool. ONE day down the road...maybe even run a bit of a trapline would be a pretty cool venture!

Thanks again for sharing the video. Cant wait to see more!!

Husky7mm
01-29-2013, 11:13 PM
They may not be a space suit but a pair of gloves boiled in a pot of soup made up of the most common tree branches, leaves or needles will go a long ways toward covering scent. This could make the difference of a snare or trap being effective in an hour or two instead of a few weeks.
A canine nose is a canine nose. The difference is that a wolfs is much more finely tuned to its environment than the average dog. Along with that a wolf
seems to have a sixth sense that triggers if something is out of place. Screw up on a wolf setup once and not to often will you get a second chance. I'm
not being negative, it's great to see guys out there trying to thin down wolf numbers but wolves that become snare and trap shy are pretty hard to deal
with.

Well I am sure there is always the young of year at least.

Husky7mm
01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
i heard a large feather hanging in the breeze is a good attractant...

bearvalley
01-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Well I am sure there is always the young of year at least.

ha ha so true.

Moose63
01-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Good Luck PG66. Well done video (again!). Definitely something I'd like to try one day....

bearvalley
01-29-2013, 11:25 PM
i heard a large feather hanging in the breeze is a good attractant...

I've heard rotten moose blood or a stray dog turd works...but a feather ? Might catch a cat.:wink:

Husky7mm
01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Maybe it was a whole wing. Dog turd, dog pee, A dripping bucket of smelly rotten festering meat, tricky tricky ........

hunter1947
01-30-2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the video and pic Steve I wish you all the luck on getting some wolfs this new year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png ,,looking forward to your video clips as for pictures and stories :)..

calvin L
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Steve I want to thankyou for taking the time to video this . I learn alot from what you do and show us with out asking for anything other than for us to get off are a$$ and get out there and to do are part . You sir Sir are a ture sportsman

calvin L

proguide66
01-30-2013, 08:51 AM
with.
I will show you and others some k owl edge you don't have yet ( later tonight). Wolves are physically built differently in their noses ( have the info at home ) Boiling gloves 'may' make a persons mind at ease and give a sense of 'confidence' but the FACT is , is we give off a LARGE cloud of scent particles non stop.the entire ground and where we have walked us literally covered with our stink for days... We could be 'handless' and still leave the same amount of scent at the scene. Wolves know, period.
It is true , once a wolf sees a snare and registers as danger, it will remember THAT snare at that spot for the rest of its life.But you can catch the same wolf in another snare somewhere else.
I proved this previous after setting with my bare hands and catching the same wolf twice in 2 weeks, old snare on him, dead in the second.
I have a piss load of good knowledge to share, have to go to work now though so I can fund wolf trapping so YOU guys have better hunting, lol

proguide66
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
It's 2013....time to learn to embed videos, dude! :)

Maybe you could come over and show me later MODHOUSE!!! Hahaa

SUAFOYT
01-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Great video and tips. Any time you'd like some real nice, strong, single strand stainless wire let me know. I've got lots.

Dutch Ppoacher
01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Maybe you could come over and show me later MODHOUSE!!! Hahaa

nice to see he treats everyone the same! play nice or your going to get a time out!

Skull Hunter
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I will show you and others some k owl edge you don't have yet ( later tonight). Wolves are physically built differently in their noses ( have the info at home ) Boiling gloves 'may' make a persons mind at ease and give a sense of 'confidence' but the FACT is , is we give off a LARGE cloud of scent particles non stop.the entire ground and where we have walked us literally covered with our stink for days... We could be 'handless' and still leave the same amount of scent at the scene. Wolves know, period.
It is true , once a wolf sees a snare and registers as danger, it will remember THAT snare at that spot for the rest of its life.But you can catch the same wolf in another snare somewhere else.
I proved this previous after setting with my bare hands and catching the same wolf twice in 2 weeks, old snare on him, dead in the second.
I have a piss load of good knowledge to share, have to go to work now though so I can fund wolf trapping so YOU guys have better hunting, lol

I tend to agree with you, boiled gloves or no, we leave a huge scent trail everywhere we go. I've just always been taught to do everything possible to minimize scent when targeting wolves. I completed my trappers education course up in the Yukon a few months ago, and one of the long time trappers that was helping us out was pretty serious about scent elimination. This was his strategy for wolves....

First he had a pair of smoked moose hide gloves that he used exclusively for wolf trapping. Never brought them inside his cabins, an always tried to keep scent down as much as possible. He'd boil up his snares with a combo of spruce, willow, pine etc, and then tie them up to decent sized logs to use as a toggle. From the pre-fabbed sets would go directly into his skimmer, along with his setting gloves.

He would always set along his snowmobile track (might not be possible in more populated areas) he would choose his locations as you would expect, natural funnel between 2 trees or bushes. When he would find his set location he would stop just beyond so the back of his skimmer was right where he wanted to set. He would shut off his sled right away to avoid exhaust fumes, then take off his gloves, climb back into his skimmer (without touching the snow) put on his moose hide setting gloves, take a big deep breath and hold it. He'd gently slide his toggle under the snow making as little disturbance as possible, then quickly set his snare and get out of there without so much as breathing in the area.

Of course his reasoning was to leave as little scent as possible at his snare location. He's the only person I've ever heard say snaring wolves is easy, but it seems to me he's taking a lot of precautions that may not be entirely necessary. I Just need to find a trapline to run for myself to test all this out!

Thanks again for the video, I'm excited to see the results!

604redneck
01-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Good thread good video....looking forward to more

bearvalley
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Try the gloves Steve. Don't kneel on the ground. Pack a small piece of tarp, boiled the same as the gloves. Kneel on it if you have to kneel. Try leaving your boots, snowshoes and some clothes hanging outside. Might be damp at times but sure cuts scent. Try some bait and multiple snares set at various distances around the bait site. If you get lucky and catch an alpha you might be busy skinning most of the pack. Sure is better than having 6 or 8 wolves watching their packmate choking out.You are right. We STINK...but the more stink you can eliminate from a trap or snare site the more productive your going to be. It's a lot more productive in reducing wolf numbers when packs start to go instead of picking off singles. I'm always open to new knowledge but I'm not real good at storing BS. I don't make movies. Always figured that was better of left to guys like Jim Shockey. They do a good job. If a movie is going to be posted on the net it had better be right or its going to be scrutinized.

Wild one
01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Good luck this winter

bearvalley
01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Zubris21, pay attention to what your Yukon guy showed you, he knows what he's doing. Wolves are no harder to catch than coyotes if what you do is done right.

Gateholio
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
How to embed:

type in:

[ video]

add video URL:

12345xyzfejfopwjfpf;gf;lwf;w

Type in [ /video]

It will look like this (I'm breaking the link for demo purposes)

[video ]w4ilhgwlkhg;gjw'rg;wg [ /video]

That's all there is to it.

proguide66
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Zubris21, pay attention to what your Yukon guy showed you, he knows what he's doing. Wolves are no harder to catch than coyotes if what you do is done right.
Are you saying what I am doing is "BS" ? Or I should leave videos to "Shockey" ??
I have much much more valuable knowledge to share The above was only one video with not 'everything' covered .I also have close to 50 wolf kills, wich means I 'might' be experienced enough to 'share' while I HELP at the same time.I have learned from full time wolf trappers in northern BC as well who do a crazy amount of things to kill scent.
Snaring wolves is not and never will be "easy ". If it were we wouldn't have problems with them.
"Scrutinizing" is too easy... Adding positive , good knowledge us wayy more helpfull.

Rodd
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I enjoy your videos better than shockeys!! Keep up the excellent threads PG66... I've trapped wolves as a child with my father, and remember, thier is nothing easy about it..!! We learned through trial and error... Taking many years time to get it right... So I can appreciate the advice, and can't wait to try it again someday. Cheers!

BlacktailStalker
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Bearvalley maybe stop scrutinizing and criticizing already and start your own thread. You've had so much to say, clearly you're knowledgeable, why not pass some of that on rather than side track the thread of a guy who is WILLING to take the time to share what he can? It is more than MOST do.
Nobody checked a box saying it was mandatory to agree with everything posted when they chose to join this public forum but starting potential arguements and sidetracking threads that are some of the most popular on here won't be tolerated long. There ARE ways to ADD to it or suggest other helpful approaches by sharing your input...

TommyGuitar
01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Just wanted to stop in and say thank you Pro Guide. I'm a big fan of your videos. Can't wait for the update.
Tom

dingdongdenny
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
here doggy, doggy

Skull Hunter
01-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Are you saying what I am doing is "BS" ? Or I should leave videos to "Shockey" ??
I have much much more valuable knowledge to share The above was only one video with not 'everything' covered .I also have close to 50 wolf kills, wich means I 'might' be experienced enough to 'share' while I HELP at the same time.I have learned from full time wolf trappers in northern BC as well who do a crazy amount of things to kill scent.
Snaring wolves is not and never will be "easy ". If it were we wouldn't have problems with them.
"Scrutinizing" is too easy... Adding positive , good knowledge us wayy more helpfull.

I wasn't trying to stir anything up here PG66, I was just surprised when you weren't wearing any gloves. Your videos over the past couple years clearly show that you know what you're doing. Given that I have absolutely zero wolf trapping experience I'm certainly not one to comment/criticise your methods! Keep it up!

RiverOtter
01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Curious Steve, do the wolves run your ski-doo trails?

Know a trapper who aquired a very remote line that hadn't been trapped in years, and he claimed the wolves wouldn't run his ski-doo trails, only cross it in places. He said it was part way through his second winter before he noticed wolf tracks running his trails.

I know bush coyotes are a lot more leery than farm coyotes, when it comes to anything human or "FREE" meals, but I always had yote tracks on my sled trails when I was running my line. Always assumed wolves would be similar in that regard too.

Also, noticed in your vid you're running cam-locs, are they the 'grippy' style(Can't remember the name) or regular? Cable 3/32" or 1/8"? Looked like 7x7 Aircraft, which I much prefered to 1x19.

Looking forward to the trail cam pics.....

RiverOtter
01-30-2013, 07:54 PM
I wasn't trying to stir anything up here PG66, I was just surprised when you weren't wearing any gloves. Your videos over the past couple years clearly show that you know what you're doing. Given that I have absolutely zero wolf trapping experience I'm certainly not one to comment/criticise your methods! Keep it up!

Not gonna speak for Steve, but when I was snaring coyotes, I started doing the whole glove thing, thinking it was necessary. One day I forgot my gloves, so I just set bare handed, and I had fresh yotes the next time around the line. Now I wear thin gloves for comfort if its cold, but other than that I set bare handed. Only exception is lure and/or bait, I'll glove up for that to keep those scents off snares. Best rule of thumb IMO, is to stay at a set as short a time as possible, so your scent lingers for as short a time as possible. If a human was there, a canine is gonna know it, I don't care how little you think you smell.....

bearvalley
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Bearvalley maybe stop scrutinizing and criticizing already and start your own thread. You've had so much to say, clearly you're knowledgeable, why not pass some of that on rather than side track the thread of a guy who is WILLING to take the time to share what he can? It is more than MOST do.
Nobody checked a box saying it was mandatory to agree with everything posted when they chose to join this public forum but starting potential arguements and sidetracking threads that are some of the most popular on here won't be tolerated long. There ARE ways to ADD to it or suggest other helpful approaches by sharing your input...

uh oh, an internet spanking, haha. But as you said, its a public forum and not everyone is going to agree. But is not silence about the
same as agreement???

BlacktailStalker
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
No just hate to see this one go south. I agree with some of your points as well like the ground sheet and gloves but like I said just add to it and maybe it will be a wicked thread (it will be)
One of the best trappers doesn't post here anymore, he was hammering like 40-50 wolves up North but got tired of the bs on here and stopped. Everyone loses, trapping knowledge is good knowledge hate to see it be detered again.

one-shot-wonder
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
That's all there is to it.

Just like trapping.....easy peasy! :mrgreen:

Steve,

Thanks for your diligence on this your efforts are admirable!

proguide66
01-30-2013, 09:31 PM
There's an outfitter who has made one of the only wolf trapping videos I am aware of.His name is Paul Trepus of Inzana Outfitters. Look it up and grab it.
I started wolf trapping maybe 6 years ago and claim 'no expert' status. I started a year before I was on this forum and the main reason I joined this forum was to spread wolf trapping enthusiasm. Due to my guideing past , I have been VERY aware of how important predation on PREDATORS is if we want to enjoy hunting each year and not have to 'sit out' for 10 to 15 yrs to wait for the 'cycle' to turn around after predators explode and kill everything , then starv off.

SO , here we go.......at it again and sharing the shit.Typing on the net is impossible to get 'acurate' emotions along with words. I assure you my demeanor is neutral , however if 'challenged' I'm probably going to deliver it right back and get the last word in , lol.

As with my first yr on here , I PLEAD to all to add positive if they can , free knowledge and encouragement is what this activity NEEDS bad ! so , next post is comin with very handy knowledge.

proguide66
01-30-2013, 10:01 PM
SCENT and trapping WOLVES.( this isnt about fur trapping , i'm not into it...I'm about killing wolves).

Humans have 5 million 'scent cells' as opposed to a blood hound having 220 million cells. 17% of a blood hounds brain is 'scent gland alone.( wolves have better smell)
Each of us give off an average 40 thousand 'scent particles' a minute.The warmer we are , the more scent particles 'plume off' of us.
Scent particles are more active from heat including when they are on the ground or snow and the sun hits them.
Our scent particles rise an average 18" over our heads at all times , 24-7 then fall to the ground all around us...no way out of it.
Our scent lasts from 4 to 5 days..period...no 'tarp' or 'glove' will stop it- period. While setting snares , your face , your ears , your hair , EVERYTHING is shedding these particles.They are landing on the snare , on the ground , your breath is pushing them along ( off your 'tarp' if you have one) , we all leave a mess of a scent trail no matter what we do-period.
NO wolf nose will be fooled by us EVER , its not going to happen.
My freinds up north used spruce boxes for all their gear , boiled everything in water/spruce pitch ect , had seperate boots , rain gear for trapping wich was hung outside , snares boiled off with spruce branches ect ect. The 'old school' wolf trapping methods worked...or was it just the snare that worked????

I used to use surgical rubber gloves , boiled all my shit up in spruce ect , used tongs , used baking soda in plastic bags with my snares , yadda yadda...now I know my wolves were smelling rubber gloves , spruce , stainless , baking soda and the flavor frikkin toothpaste I used that morning.
The ONLY way to sucker them is persistance and common sense.Example , NEVER put a snare on a 'straight' trail , put em on a corner so they dont see them coming. Put them half way up a bank so they have momentum while traveling through , or a log crossing or a beaver dam crossing , ect ect.
If you are in an area with lots of good road kill ( up north lucky buggers get moose and elk non stop on the highway) make a bait pile early in the fall , maintain it , let the wolves hit it , snare off their trails as far as possible from the kill.
Un fortunately , I am in a very small area , I have very little access to natural bait.I am VERY limited to area to trap due to being surrounded by dormant lines wich 'were' owned by FN trappers and havent been used in over 20 frikin years and I break the law if I go after wolves on them with out 'permission'.
I also have to fund all of it myself and am over 10 grand of my own money since I started and have recieved 800$ in help ONCE..and two years ago we had the highest goat 'kid' count and highest deer count....and YA , I'm going to take credit for part of that.

Anyway ( getting off track) , I have a SHITLOAD of knowledge scraped up now and it will take a piss load of typing to get it all on here. I am making a DVD on it and it will be loaded to the nuts with all the knowledge I can find and as well hopefully some crazy assed footage of wolves going through snares......oh , wich were set with bare hands-AGAIN. lol

Wire? I have 3/32 , regular cam locks , 12 ft cables with the 'sheen' boiled off in water and baking soda.If you feel your camlocks are too smooth and dont grip , you can file them rough or dump more$ and buy em with teeth.
My own personal methods are geared up to be cheap and simple as possible as it just doesnt pay back the $$ , and it has added UP !

Anyway , sorry if I missed some answers tonight or havent replied to pms , times a burnin.I will answer all eventually. I'll see all whos going to the meeting in Abby tomarrow night for sure by the way.

I have a feeling there's a dead wolf to show right now , will know maybe sat er sun.:mrgreen:

chilcotin hillbilly
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't wear gloves either and catch enough. If I had my own trapline and more time I am sure I could pile then up with out the gloves. Until then my 6 or so a winter will have to do.
Keep up the good work.

bearvalley
01-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Not knocking your ability but there's a difference in how you go about dealing with a pack of wolves now...or waiting a while to catch 1 or 2. The branch, loop placement and guide sticks are all fine. But to say human scent does not matter....????
About 30 years ago an ex-Vancouver Island predator specialist was relocated to the interior. He either liked me or felt sorry for me but one or the other
he showed me a bunch of his trapping techniques. This man has more wolf instinct in his way of thinking than most of the furry ones. He was adamant that wolves could pick up humans being at a trap site. So much as to even say that a wolf would back off quicker if the guy doing the trapping was having
an aggresive or stressfull day. If anyone touched one of his sets barehanded, they would have been told to go lift a leg and mark a tree.
I'm not saying a barehanded set wont catch a wolf or 2 over time, but the right trap or snare layout with as much scent covered as is humanly possible can take out a pack in a hurry. Any dead wolf is a good wolf, but if an alpha happens to be the hung one, any wolf reduction gain could be lost in the long run. Broken up pack, more dogs breeding, etc. If the pack is gone, its gone.
Your vids are great. To bad more guides dont share them beyond thier circle of friends and family. I've seen some that topped any your going to see on the tube. The Shockey shot was a dig, but what he puts out is better than most. I would think real hard though about posting a vid of a choking out wolf
on the net. It might make Youtubes most watched list, and be one of the biggest bullets in the antis gun.
Anyhow if its still gonna be spank time and we're both gonna grab big sticks lets move it over to the PMs. In the meantime good luck and kill (harvest:-D)
some wolves.

BlacktailStalker
01-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Not knocking your ability but there's a difference in how you go about dealing with a pack of wolves now...or waiting a while to catch 1 or 2. The branch, loop placement and guide sticks are all fine. But to say human scent does not matter....????
About 30 years ago an ex-Vancouver Island predator specialist was relocated to the interior. He either liked me or felt sorry for me but one or the other
he showed me a bunch of his trapping techniques.

Awesome, how about passing it on ?
I for one, would love to hear them.

Wild one
01-31-2013, 09:06 AM
I know trappers that swear by gloves and know just as many who won't wear them. The funny thing is when I look at there numbers at the end of the season I don't see a difference.

The truth of the matter is you will leave scent behind no matter what you do but weather and time solves that problem. What has a greater effect on canine trapping in my opinion is modifying the surroundings if you add blocking, human tracks on there trails and move logs/branches it seems to put canines on guard.

As for wolves being as simple as coyotes to trap I do not agree. I have caught a good number of coyotes but I failed at my first attempt wolf trapping this season. Wolves seem to be on edge more than coyotes and do to there large home range they are harder to pattern. I can run a bait station and keep coyotes hitting it as long as the snow levels are not too bad. Wolves will hit a bait station 1 time and be gone along time before they return.

As a trapper I have respect for those who successfully takes wolves year after year.

For those giving advice on what proguide is doing wrong I would like to see the results of your wolf trapping. The area he traps is not a snare friendly do to major fluctuations in snow levels and freeze thaw conditions. The area also does not have the wolf population of Northern BC.

As I said good luck this season

proguide66
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
There's no argument eliminating scent is a good thing. The main question was 'bare hands'.
Full time paid predator hunters 'should be' like the described dude, would be nice to have the time/area and $$ to be able to get into it that deep .
What I am and have been showing is any one of us can and should go get after the wolves .Without havin to drop big $$ on a few dozen foot traps and having to travel (for most) many many miles to check them every 48 hrs , showing how to snare a wolf is much more realistic for your average working family guy who is very limited on time and freedom to do it.
Foot traps properly placed with scent manipulation is the #1 way to clean up a pack, as well most expensive and time consuming .
'Snaring' an entire pack in one go is VERY uncommon . In 2 generations of wolf killers up north in Toad River the fellas had 6 in one go - once.
To fill up every single possible hole with snares and catch the entire pack is basically like setting out to win the lotto .
'Discouraging' guys on here from going after wolves on here because they don't 'measure up ' in comparison to a full time predator specialist isn't going to do any good whatsoever ever , we need encouragement and knowledge.
As far as YouTube goes , I'm not scared. If I get a perfect quick clean kill , I'm posting and proving.Youtube plays host to humans getting shot, blown up , hit by vehicles ,ect ect let alone thousands of hunting kill shots of game.
I'm already a 'poster child' on an international anti wolf trapping web page , it's painless and I sleep all night , lolol.
Side note for Shockey, I worked with him in the past , there won't be ANY videos of him playing part in any kind of 'conservation or responsible management' in this life time ! He's all about kill numbers on film and $$.
Paul Trepus is a wolf assassin and trap instructor .He sets snares with his bare hands and hammers the wolves. He picks them off as the pack travels to and fro through his area and does a great job as ' a couple here and there ' really add up over winter .Anyone interested should grab his DVD !!

Hoping for all to see some wolves soon , maybe this weekend !

Let's get some good shit posted up on here !

Rackmastr
01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Keep it up PG66!!! Love watching the vids, very informative and down to earth and easy to watch.

bruin
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Great start as usual! This will be a great thread to watch this winter. Good luck!

Moose63
01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
When and where is the meeting in Abbotsford?

Wild one
01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
When and where is the meeting in Abbotsford?

check your PM's

decker9
01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
great video PG! iv trapped my whole life, but never targeted wolves....yet! I have a few questions for ya here, hoping you can inform me on for future wolf snaring...

Do you skin your wolves for the fur market? do you skin the toe's out also? ( or cut off the legs at the ankles? )
Or does it depend on the fur? on a good prime wolf, do you skin it for taxidermy? ( claws intact )
Do you ship wolves to NAFA or FHA? if you do skin them for taxidermy, do you ship them to fur auction also? or sell to a taxidermist?

Iv ben learning alot watching your videos, hopfully next winter ill be set up to start targeting wolves, keep up the great work!! happy trappen, cheers!

proguide66
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
[Qdont quote me but when we took the trap course (if I recall) UOTE=decker9;1281714]great video PG! iv trapped my whole life, but never targeted wolves....yet! I have a few questions for ya here, hoping you can inform me on for future wolf snaring...

Do you skin your wolves for the fur market? do you skin the toe's out also? ( or cut off the legs at the ankles? )
Or does it depend on the fur? on a good prime wolf, do you skin it for taxidermy? ( claws intact )
Do you ship wolves to NAFA or FHA? if you do skin them for taxidermy, do you ship them to fur auction also? or sell to a taxidermist?

Iv ben learning alot watching your videos, hopfully next winter ill be set up to start targeting wolves, keep up the great work!! happy trappen, cheers![/QUOTE]

The wolves I have caught here in the past werent quite 'prime' for any fur sales. I have got 4 tanned all together total. They are worth more completely skinned and intact. Taxidermy or soft tanned will get you 3 to 500$ for a good furred up pooch.
If I recall , ( dont quote me) wolves are only worth around $80 at the fur action.This was a number tossed to us from our trapping instructor yrs back.
The fuel,hrs,time is deffinitely not relivent to the fruits in $$ But pumping up the ungulate pop is !!( for me anyway). A good big furred up wolf is worth a few bucks and or good for trading someone for something else.

biggyun68
01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Thnaks for taking the time to post al lof your video's Proguide66. As a first generation newbie hunter they are a wealth of information. They also testify that Greater Vancouver hunters do not need to drive 5 hours to hunt.
You mention taking a trapping course - can you include were you would start to find this information? Just a suggestion...

Skull Hunter
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Thnaks for taking the time to post al lof your video's Proguide66. As a first generation newbie hunter they are a wealth of information. They also testify that Greater Vancouver hunters do not need to drive 5 hours to hunt.
You mention taking a trapping course - can you include were you would start to find this information? Just a suggestion...

From the ministry site (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/trapper.html#education)

"
Trappers Education Course For more information regarding the course please contact Alana Leclerc (Provincial Trapper Education Coordinator) at:

Telephone: 250-962-5452
Mail: PO Box 1063, Prince George, B.C. V2L 4V2 "

BlacktailStalker
01-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Adventure trev hammers the wolves too, he was the guy on here two winters ago. He has a pile of good trapped wolf footage on youtube.

biggyun68
02-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Thank-you Zubris21

Wild one
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Thank-you Zubris21

check your pm for info for local instructor.

trapman
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
went to LM trappers meeting last night ,nice to see so many trappers coming out .Steve didn,t get a chance to say hi but I have 300 or 400 hundred pounds of bait if you need any .Its in the freezer so no hurry

Wild one
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
went to LM trappers meeting last night ,nice to see so many trappers coming out .Steve didn,t get a chance to say hi but I have 300 or 400 hundred pounds of bait if you need any .Its in the freezer so no hurry

It was good to see you guys there and the good turn out.

ianwuzhere
02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
good luck, some deer or goat is licking your face rite now with love hehe

proguide66
02-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Sounds good , thanks ! Maybe Gander could drag it up here for ya? Once I realised I already knew all the answers to the questions being 'shotgunned' I slipped out to start my journey home for a 130am bed time , work in am.
I have an 'insider' from the MOE and last year he told me flat out the ONLY problem for trapping is the " lack of anything getting donw in the ministry"....period.
There WONT be anything getting done as well unless a small shitstorm starts from us...its the ONLY way. Funny , a guys mind can start having 'thoughts' like " ok , they dont give a shit , then it must be ok for me to trap the shit out of wolves anywhere I want then , right"? cause who cares???

anyway , off topic....had a 'report' of some tracks pilling up near my 'gear' the other day. I'm going to stay 'optomistic' and declare ' WOLF RETREIVAL' tomarrow !!!
Unfortunately , no cameras on that set as it was too close to recreation sledders.My tracks ect would lead dierectly to gear and cams. 'Looksy loo's' could potentialy be all over my shit.I had someone take a wolf out of a snare up there years back.
I am going to start my monster 'pile' with the cams in next couple days. I have a hand full of cams out right now , but the trails they are on dont really get 'hot' until farmers start calving and wolves start denning.Until then they remain on thier ' loong routes' and remain ultimately unpredictable on 'show times'.
March/April seems to be when my numbers really rack up in the past.Any wolves for me right now is just 'bonus' gifts. If I had permission for other lines I could really giver. But I am confines to two acces roads and can only travel by sled 7 km on each one . Over half the area access is blocked by insane farmers ( and I mean INSANE)..so...14 km of road and I still manage to kill em means if I had access to BIG areas I could obviously do some major wolf dammage.
Its so frikkin frustrating around here. Two trap line 'owners' have even gone frikkin 'anti trapping'....WTF???? tellin ya , if you guys ever spend time in the Pemberton Valley , DONT DRINK THE WATER on the north side of the rail tracks....
Then of course there's the inbred hillbilly's that 'think' they own access roads to.....fack...oh , and own a hunting gear store...PALM SMACK ON FACE...

I hear there's shitloads of wolves up the west side of the Fraser from Lilloette? As well around Seton Lk ? anyone know some ranchers or land owners that want em cleaned up let me know....I'd be all over goin over the 'hump' once every couple of weeks to string some up , would be a 'cake walk' for me to get a bunch as opposed to trapping in my little 'cell' like area here.

TexasWalker
02-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Why would farmers block access to a wolf trapper?
doesn't make much sense.

proguide66
02-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Why would farmers block access to a wolf trapper?
doesn't make much sense.
Same reason they bitch about deer on their property , lobby and help the govt spend THOUSANDS of our dollars on a deer study so we could maybe shoot a few does...then NOT LET ANYONE HUNT ON THEIR PROPERTY.......see what I mean? DONT DRINK THE WATER.:roll:

BlacktailStalker
02-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Sounds good , thanks ! Maybe Gander could drag it up here for ya? Once I realised I already knew all the answers to the questions being 'shotgunned' I slipped out to start my journey home for a 130am bed time , work in am.
I have an 'insider' from the MOE and last year he told me flat out the ONLY problem for trapping is the " lack of anything getting donw in the ministry"....period.
There WONT be anything getting done as well unless a small shitstorm starts from us...its the ONLY way. Funny , a guys mind can start having 'thoughts' like " ok , they dont give a shit , then it must be ok for me to trap the shit out of wolves anywhere I want then , right"? cause who cares???

BELIEVE ME you have NO idea the complete bullshit I've gone through with them over the last TWO years trying to acquire a trapline on the island. Finally last week the region 1 MOE rep had the reg 1 manager reply to my enquiries saying that the conversations regarding acquiring a trap line between myself and his staff are to be considered closed. I tried expressing my concerns (basically everything I had mentioned to the MOE biologist) about trappers being unaware how virtually impossible it is to acquire a trap line, how the MOE reps arent helping guys out by putting anyone in contact with trappers holding areas, the frustration of already having bought so much gear while being unaware initially how the trapping situation REALLY is, something nobody knew while paying and taking the course. The fact there is over 400 trap lines on the island but many are tied up in native conflict but nothing is being done about the other idle ones or enforcing minimum trapper activity etc.
Of course he didn't even reply.
So yeah it sure is the ministry's fault. Seems to me all they care about is the potential for auctions for the few lines that will come up instead of placing them in the hands of people looking, which is how it should be.

Moose63
02-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Same reason they bitch about deer on their property , lobby and help the govt spend THOUSANDS of our dollars on a deer study so we could maybe shoot a few does...then NOT LET ANYONE HUNT ON THEIR PROPERTY.......see what I mean? DONT DRINK THE WATER.:roll:

Having spoken to one land owner who used to allow hunters. He said he got tired of cleaning the garbage left behind and the gates being left open.

proguide66
02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Well , zero kills as of yet. The rotting snow made the few sets out useless. At another place , strung up a deer leg , 'someone' on snow shoes went and investigated and as well a wolf went to inestigate and left the scene upon contact with the snow shoer.
As well , found some places where a guy could make a lot of sets for the running pack , BUT , 'someone' on cross country skis went eveyrwhere my tracks went and as well went to see where the wolf tracks were coming from , wich means 'IF' I ste , the person on the cross country skis would find my shit......then?
Oh , as well 'someone' at km 1 of South crk main decided to pack in a few boxes of clay pigeons and make a frikkin mess on the river bank and road...'good work' as there is a gun range here for that.

I never bothered going to my cam sets as the pack is either en route to there or may have 'just' got there. From following the packs around here I know where they are going once finding their tracks up valley. This particular pack travels up / down valley on the east side. they are en route south this am or last night. I dont want to go into the area I have baited with cams today as there is a big chance I 'might' get there 'just' before them. they will be there tonight though if they 'laid up' for the day.
They are sticking to the sled tracks then hitting the road for travel. Looping for moose en route as well.

Its rainning here , snow melting , kinda makes it real shitty !

sarnold
02-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Fabulous info and video!!
makes me want to do some trapping!!

one-shot-wonder
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Steve,
Any indication an anti is following your placements? snowshoes/Xcountry skis coincidental?

proguide66
02-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Steve,
Any indication an anti is following your placements? snowshoes/Xcountry skis coincidental?
Not really. The snow shoes were deffinitely coincidental. But 2 weeks ago there was 3 cross country skiers and a dog.They were having lunch and saw me go past , not too hard to see i'm not sight seeing with gun , snow camo , basket of goodies on sled. 'who know's with the cross country people. I'm not going to set there just for that reason. If there's snow on the ground and you 'think' theres a trapper at work and want to see , its impossible to hide your shit from anyone , its too easy with snow , especially if snow shoe prints leave the road and head in to the forest up here.
I need access to larger areas. My other 'good spot' is accessed through private property. But once you get back there , there is more people that can get in there from the back properties of other private property.Last year we caught a wolf and found out from a neighber who heard from another dude who heard from a 'tourist' that a wolf was snared up there....sucks ass , especially when I go there and see the guys foot prints to 10 ft from the wolf as he apperantly snaped a bunch of pics.
The access road is a dead end with zero 'views' , havent a clue why people go up there now and then.But again , its easy as shit to see my snow shoe tracks and get of your sled and investigate..as a 'few' have in the past.
One moron even twisted a big branch onto the end of one of my snares and tried to pull it off a big cedar tree ( nailed on with 3 fence nails) , they never got it off , lol , but screwed my set.

proguide66
02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
UPDATE

I have 5 er 7 days of footage around the clock of bobcats safely walking under 3 wolf snares , sitting by them , walking under them...until last night...WAM , 3 bobcats milling around , I 'think' playing with each other , one gets caught in one.It must have jumped up and tried to go through it ( I always said bobcats see snares and commit suicide) , anyway , its not 'graghic ' in anyway but more interesting for sure , epsecially when the large male comes and chases it up a tree and it hangs itself at 7 ft. I 'might' make a video , we'll see.

boxhitch
02-12-2013, 08:46 PM
......... trappers being unaware how virtually impossible it is to acquire a trap line, ..............
..............the frustration of already having bought so much gear while being unaware initially how the trapping situation REALLY is,.............
...............something nobody knew while paying and taking the course. ...........So how did you make out when you contacted the BCTA ?

Wrj
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
UPDATE

I have 5 er 7 days of footage around the clock of bobcats safely walking under 3 wolf snares , sitting by them , walking under them...until last night...WAM , 3 bobcats milling around , I 'think' playing with each other , one gets caught in one.It must have jumped up and tried to go through it ( I always said bobcats see snares and commit suicide) , anyway , its not 'graghic ' in anyway but more interesting for sure , epsecially when the large male comes and chases it up a tree and it hangs itself at 7 ft. I 'might' make a video , we'll see.

Sounds interesting, make a vid for sure!

BlacktailStalker
02-16-2013, 07:58 PM
So how did you make out when you contacted the BCTA ?

They have tried to help with the reg.1 issues for sure but it seems the problem lies within the gov and MOE and what they are willing to do or not do. Don't want to side track this thread any more than that. $ from auctions held too infrequently seems to be priority over actually placing the trap lines in active 'seekers' hands, or at least the information to begin to try to obtain them.

dirtguy
02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Ttt for the video

BlacktailStalker
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Yup lets see it !

The Dude
02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
There's so many thousands of traplines in the province, I don't get why they make it so difficult.

Husky7mm
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Many are 0wned by folks who just want a cabin in the woods on crown land and also many trappers WANT to always have wolves around to trap, that is why a bounty would be good... they would try harder and justify the gas and time

proguide66
03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Check this shit out..........

http://youtu.be/uMLryFLIcvY

I'll use' the bobcat snare video ( from a different set) later.

Also , guess what? cougers love blackbear meat , 3 of em sucked back maybe 200lbs of it !!!!!...over 2 weeks , didnt have 'that' cam on...its on now though. They as well sucessfully went under all my wolf snares. No wolf sign where I am yet......( I'll get one on video , you WATCH ! lol
I only have 10 snares out total at moment , my goal is to video it.

RiverOtter
03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Wow.....

I assume the loop got hung up on something and didn't close up tight on the yote.

He might be the luckiest yote alive, but he ain't educated, you'll get him when he comes back....

proguide66
03-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Wow.....

I assume the loop got hung up on something and didn't close up tight on the yote.

He might be the luckiest yote alive, but he ain't educated, you'll get him when he comes back....

Crazy eh? My wolf assasin from toad just phoned , thinks it got his snout...I'm not sure WTF happened. Crazy how he was up to it , walks away , 10 seconds later comes flying through. there's a deer leg hanging maybe 20 yrds to the right up the trail. Maybe he was searching for the scent??..back/forth/ back straight up? , cool to watch though.
i'll get a wolf , got to be patient ( as usual):-D

calvin L
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
OMG what luck ! You will get it done I am sure . Better luck next time and my it be a wolf .

pillpusher
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n566/dknott/0101e0b6-c94b-464c-a125-387baf9f5023.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/dknott/media/0101e0b6-c94b-464c-a125-387baf9f5023.jpg.html)

My first!