PDA

View Full Version : BC flounder

SeaScene
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Few fish flounder because there is not much "filet" to them. However just saw this youtube vid which shows more filet than what I get from the BC flounder unless the vid is showing a different species than BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZAjF7z8dY

robertmcallan
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
to me it looks like the same bc flounder but he is getting both top filets in one cut same as the bottom

Wild one
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Lots of good size flounder in BC but yes not many target them.

The starry flounder gets a lot bigger than the ones in this clip

ultramafic
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
What kind of methods would one use to catch them?? I have done a fair bit of bottom fishing and have never pulled one up..

mike

nuadixion
02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
What kind of methods would one use to catch them?? I have done a fair bit of bottom fishing and have never pulled one up..

mike
You can catch them on just about anything (piece of sausage, any raw meat) ..just throw it on the bottom and drag/jerk slowly, gently....you need flat sandy,muddy bottom.
I do not even bother to filet them....just gut clean and pan fried with salt on olive oil. ....finger liking good!

boblly1
02-01-2013, 05:57 PM
we have caught starry flounder out of ucluelet in july and august offshore about 12 to 15 miles

steel_ram
02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Use to catch them in Saanich Inlet. Probably still can. Find the right spot and they're one after the other. Spend a lot of time reeling because they were deep. We just used coat hanger spreader bars and a piece of old herring strip for bait.

Islandeer
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Use to catch them in Saanich Inlet. Probably still can. Find the right spot and they're one after the other. Spend a lot of time reeling because they were deep. We just used coat hanger spreader bars and a piece of old herring strip for bait.

Were you catching sole ? Pat Bay and Coal Bay in the inlet have them,never caught any starry flounders there though, what part of the inlet did you fish?

GoodPartner
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
buzz bomb works if they are around

steel_ram
02-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Your probably right. Not to sure if they were flounder or sole. A big one if I recollect would be 14". Just off Senanus Isl.

Islandeer
02-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Right on, sounds like sole. They are tasty critters!!

lilhoss
02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
We were catching 2-3 at a time out at Porlier pass this summer.My son was playin' around with a sabiki herring jig and was picking them up off the bottom.I fillet em just like the video,but it's obvious to me my fillet knife is no wheres near as sharp as that one!I noticed he had a steel glove on the one hand too,good idea with a knife like that one.

Opinionated Ol Phart
02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Starry flounders are well known for having a heavy iodine taste..... others like rock sole are much better eating.

BTW lilhoss---- better check your salt water regs about using herring jigs to catch more than one fish at a time-------- :mrgreen:

longstonec
02-03-2013, 11:39 AM

mike

They tend to be mixed in with halibut on large flat sand or gravel bottoms. when fishing for hali on rock bottoms I never catch them.
If you want to catch them you will catch them on anything you would usually bottom fish with. gear or bait.

If you don't want to catch them. use larger circle hooks.

field marshal
02-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Flounders and especially sole love a yellow and green buzz bomb!!!---Cheers----Field Marshal.

MR.uninformed
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
caught about 15 rock sole in an hour on a white with black edges buzzbomb

CVMike
02-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Ol Phart, you beat me too the punch on the herring jig note. I love flounder and sole, great way too satisfy the craving for fish and chips during the cod closure time of year. Filleting them is a bit of a chore but worth it if you're like me and would never be caught buying frozen fish from a store (or fresh ones at that).

Opinionated Ol Phart
02-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Ol Phart, you beat me too the punch on the herring jig note. I love flounder and sole, great way too satisfy the craving for fish and chips during the cod closure time of year. Filleting them is a bit of a chore but worth it if you're like me and would never be caught buying frozen fish from a store (or fresh ones at that).

No way I will buy fish from a store....... If I am going to buy a fish, (rarely) I will get it from the fisherman at the dock