PDA

View Full Version : \Boston Terrier help needed...

blackford
01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
i have to be honest with you guys... i know this post might set a few of you hunters off. obviously a Boston Terrier is not a hunting dog...and this is a hunting site with a hunting dog thread... BUT

i am sure somene on here has got to have one or has a member of the hunting team that has one.

I originally wanted a gun dog but due to family commitments and the amount of hunting i actually get to do i think the Boston is going to be a better fit for not only my current lifestlye but also our family.

My question is does anyone have one.... can you tell me what your expierences are with them ....

Also, do you know of a breeder that breeds a good quality pup. i am finding alot of weird stories on how these people get the pups and want to go thru someon that I can trust...

thanks for your answers.....

and hope the flogging isnt to bad... :)

Foxton Gundogs
01-27-2013, 03:17 PM
well if you must you must but from the Boston Bulls I have known there are a number of geneitc joint and breathing problems and a lot dont live a very long life. To be sure I am no expert. I would look to a more "normally" conformed dog. The Yorkie and Silky terriers seem to be pretty healty rugged little dogs with good personalities.

blackford
01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
With the research I have been doing they have a 12 to 15 year span.

A commin misconception is they suffer from same issues such as pugs and boxer. But apparently they don't.

On the other hand some of the breeds do... This is why I am looking for a great breeder.

But them again...foxton... I remember talking to you a while back and you know your stuff... Years of expierence have no subssubstitute

anyone else

bccanadian
01-27-2013, 11:34 PM
If you ask most vets, they will point out that most mutts live a lot longer than pure breds. Just something to keep in mind.

Foxton Gundogs
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
If you ask most vets, they will point out that most mutts live a lot longer than pure breds. Just something to keep in mind.

A mutt is a cross bred, you take a german shepard with bad hips, cross it witha lab with bad elbows, throw in a collie with CEA and maybe a Doberman with heart defects and you have 1 messed up genetic time bomb but because of the mixed, unknown breeding of the reciepient of all these various genetic health problems you have no way of knowing. I would like to meet these "most vets" you speak of because I have personal aquaintance with a good number of vets on a private and profesional leval and I have never heard that statement. That is not to say there is not healthy long lived mutts, but indiscriminant breeding in any animal will lead to compounded health problems that affect the leingth and quality of life.

Weatherby Fan
01-28-2013, 12:21 AM
My Dad had one for 10 years,IIRC CH.Edclif breeders was were it came from,it was a great pet and a very dedicated companion for my Dad in his later years,they snort like crazy but aside from that was a great little dog.

bccanadian
01-28-2013, 03:29 AM
my "mutt", Jake, one of the sweetest most gentle family pets you can find, lived to the ripe old age of 18 years. I could give the name of 4 different vets that have, over the years, made the statement about longevity but I guess I misspoke when I said "most". Like anything else, everyone has their own opinion.

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2013, 08:14 AM
my "mutt", Jake, one of the sweetest most gentle family pets you can find, lived to the ripe old age of 18 years. I could give the name of 4 different vets that have, over the years, made the statement about longevity but I guess I misspoke when I said "most". Like anything else, everyone has their own opinion.

Genetic defects and desease is NOT an oppinion it is a fact and as I stated there is no way of tracking those that may exist in dogs with uncharted pedigrees and health clearances. I also said that there are healthy and long lived MUTTS(your words not mine I preffer crossbreds) and because you were fortunate enough to have one doesn't eleviate the fact that uncharted genetic problems exist in many crossbreds as does the propensoty to introduce a number of diffrent ones common in diffrent breeds and I don't believe any knowlageable vets would not be aware or advise of that fact. I also don't believe that dispite your good fortune and oppinion(because thats what it is) that anyone should be missled to believe a crossbred has somekind of mystical power against those defects when the exact oposite is true.If you doubt that google Genetic Deffects In Dogs it will scare you at the number that are lurking out there and that is exactly why we as responsable breeders have out dogs tested for them.

magnumjeff
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
awsome dog we have one he goes fishing, hunting, rides on the quad, he even jumped off the boat after a spring salmon we had landed in the net. all in all very good little dog life span 12-14 years. your dog is 9 years old acts like he is still a puppy

hotload
01-28-2013, 09:40 AM
well if you must you must but from the Boston Bulls I have known there are a number of geneitc joint and breathing problems and a lot dont live a very long life. To be sure I am no expert. I would look to a more "normally" conformed dog. The Yorkie and Silky terriers seem to be pretty healty rugged little dogs with good personalities.

Ditto on the designer dogs, don't set yourself up for years of physical complications, vet bills, and heartbreak, there is many dogs that could suffice in your circumstances...................................

FirePower
01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Genetic defects and desease is NOT an oppinion it is a fact and as I stated there is no way of tracking those that may exist in dogs with uncharted pedigrees and health clearances. I also said that there are healthy and long lived MUTTS(your words not mine I preffer crossbreds) and because you were fortunate enough to have one doesn't eleviate the fact that uncharted genetic problems exist in many crossbreds as does the propensoty to introduce a number of diffrent ones common in diffrent breeds and I don't believe any knowlageable vets would not be aware or advise of that fact. I also don't believe that dispite your good fortune and oppinion(because thats what it is) that anyone should be missled to believe a crossbred has somekind of mystical power against those defects when the exact oposite is true.If you doubt that google Genetic Deffects In Dogs it will scare you at the number that are lurking out there and that is exactly why we as responsable breeders have out dogs tested for them.

Truer words were never spoken well said lad

Sasquatch
01-28-2013, 12:27 PM

This is fallacy and the notion that crossbred dogs are healthier because they are not purebred, has never been proven, because it isn't true.

If a vet told me I was better off with a dog of unknown lineage as opposed to one where the parents had gone through extensive health checks...I would quickly find another vet.

As far as anecdotal "evidence" is concerned, I have had 3 large mutts in my life, while they were all good dogs they each had hip problems in varying degrees. I won't be going that route again.

I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a dog stick with proven science and avoid myths and heresay.

blackford
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Ditto on the designer dogs, don't set yourself up for years of physical complications, vet bills, and heartbreak, there is many dogs that could suffice in your circumstances...................................
Lets hear your recommendation.

It has to be a low smelling dog and something that doesn't shed much. Also don't want it to be yappy

Discoverer
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
I originally wanted a gun dog but due to family commitments and the amount of hunting i actually get to do ...

What game do you hunt?

blackford
01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Typically upland birds.

yamadirt 426
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
If you want a small hunting dog you should at least get a sporting dog. I'm afraid a Boston does not classify as a sporting dog. Originally brought up as a fighting dog and then reduced in size. I know many of them. They love the ball but may/will lack a prey drive . Would be a good hiking companion but most likely won't have an interest in game and may not have the smarts to wind birds and effectively hunt. All they have ever had to do was fight. Now Boston's as we know them are not fighting dogs but they have never had to wind an aminal in there history. Having said that there is an exception to every rule. If you truly want a 20lbs or under hunting dog look at a Roughcoat jack russel terrier. And I say rough coat for the winter protection and brambles too. At least look at them and the origins of both breeds and if hunting is your thing the choice is clear. I'm a sucker for beards on my dogs btw. The jack russel made field and stream as a small hunting dog and has been winding animals it's entire heritage. Well until, like most breeds, now grace the floor of most hockey areans. Check them out ! You owe it to your inner hunt

blackford
01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
No. I have accepted and am fully aware a Boston won't be a hunting dog. Lol

Wife hates jacks.

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
No. I have accepted and am fully aware a Boston won't be a hunting dog. Lol

Wife hates jacks.

Field bred English Cocker one of the best bird dogs I've known was a little black and white english cocker bitch 22 lbs of happy and a great family pet.

yamadirt 426
01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
And just for shites and giggles google jack Russell terrier hunting pics, Then google Boston terrier hunting pics.

Im just sayin :mrgreen: Rough coats won't shed much and bath them for smell

yamadirt 426
01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Field bred English Cocker one of the best bird dogs I've known was a little black and white english cocker bitch 22 lbs of happy and a great family pet.

This was #1 on field and stream for small hunting dogs in the artical.

Show her the rough coat and call it a wiredhair Boston terrier. She will never know.

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
This was #1 on field and stream for small hunting dogs in the artical.

Show her the rough coat and call it a wiredhair Boston terrier. She will never know.

You are way to funny Yammy:mrgreen:

blackford
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Ummmm. No chance. Lol

yamadirt 426
01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
I've being sitting here for an hour to try and find you a hunting dog the looks like a Boston to give you the best of both worlds. I just like to look at different breeds , But anyhow no hunting dogs look like they got kicked in the face and squeezed until their eyes are about to pop out at the same time. (J/K ... Kinda) :wink: Closest thing is one call a Patterdale terrier (not really close but paint a white strip between his normal looking eyes and muzzle your good ). I also re read your first post, I thought you were still not %100 on your choice, my bad Lol Good luck man !

tadpole
01-29-2013, 07:47 AM
One tough wife Blackford:-D

Foxton Gundogs
01-29-2013, 08:11 AM
There are some lines of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels being shot over its a reach but????

Foxton Gundogs
01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
There are some lines of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels being shot over its a reach but????:roll:

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Hunting%20other/ZZZZZZ-1.jpg?t=1359473529

blackford
01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Gorgeous dogs... But they shed. And it's fine little hair.

Foxton Gundogs
01-29-2013, 09:19 AM
My advice seriously, find a reputable Boston Bull breeder that produces good healthy dogs and buy one as you are already "resigned" to get what the wife wants.

OR Get a divorce and a GUNDOG:twisted:

Sorry just kidding.

blackford
01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Hahahaha. Love it

Sasquatch
01-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Most women will love any puppy you bring home and hand to them - that whole mothering instinct is just part of their DNA.

Not saying you should defy your wife so you will be a happy guy with a great hunting pal for the next 10 or 15 years. I would, but that might be part of why why I'm on my third go round.

FirePower
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I made sure my Spaniels approved of my lovely wife before I married her:mrgreen:

Discoverer
01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nc_vnYxcyew/UQgcCmDXZGI/AAAAAAAADAc/tcrvtQst_lQ/s512/234750199297334807_8ABSpsIE_c.jpg