PDA

View Full Version : Worth taking a bow to Tunkwa?

fishingguy44
01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Many of the threads ive read on Tunkwa speak of lots of people and a good number of deer. But it seems like the deer are all pretty far off. is there a big enough population to get out with a bow and have a real chance?

Bc Deer Hunter
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Ya with out a doubt!! Good luck next year.

Big Lew
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
There used to be a reasonable opportunity to get close enough to decent bucks with a bow, but for the last 3-4 years the FNs have been road hunting the area just about every day starting before September 1st and rifle hunting any deer. Consequently, most of the 3-points and bigger are too spooked. Unless you're very lucky to be in the right spot at the right time, hunting into the wind at the far ends of the slashes on foot or sitting is your best chance.

TexasWalker
01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't know why everybody goes on about Tunkwa?
Maybe five years ago it was good but it's pretty barren these days between the FN and all the guys on quads from the lower mainland up there it's a friggen zoo.

Seeing 50+ guys on quads a day and a few does isn't what I'd call a good area.

bugler
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Always a "real" chance of getting one with your bow. If it is a good place to hunt deer it is a good place to hunt with a bow. One thing for sure, if getting a deer with your bow is a goal then you have to hunt with your bow. There is zero chance if you leave it at home.

frenchbar
01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't know why everybody goes on about Tunkwa?
Maybe five years ago it was good but it's pretty barren these days between the FN and all the guys on quads from the lower mainland up there it's a friggen zoo.

Seeing 50+ guys on quads a day and a few does isn't what I'd call a good area.

i would just take a punt and my fly gear ..screw the dodgin traffic .

Westslope
01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
I would think most bow hunters walk and the excessive road hunting that goes on up there (regardless of ethnicity) wouldn't effect your hunt much. I work in the area and can say that now the season is over and the deer are bunched up the numbers are very good. I was truly surprised last week!

hotload
01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Tunkwa can be a great area and yes there is many hunters,but most road hunt and yes the Ethnicity in question is there doing their thing up and down the roads as of Sept 1. Leave the road and you have left most hunters, and most certainly have left the Ethnicity in question.......................................... .............

Wild one
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
If there is deer it is worth a shot. In the end success is going to depend on how you approach your hunt. If you are expecting a deer to jump out on the road and stand still within bow range odds are you are not going to get a deer no matter where you go.

I can promise you this you have a better chance there than sitting on your coach